It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the US broken in two or is it just like that on the internet?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Most People I Know in the " Real World " , not this Internet " Virtual One " , seldom Discuss Politics at Work or in their Leisure time . It seems their Lives are Complicated Enough with putting Food on the Table and Paying their Numerous Bills . A 24/7 Job by the way . Sadly , as the World Politic Changes over Time , the Direct Effect on their Personal Lives will Eventually make them pay more Attention to what is Happening around them . The Online Universe is an Illusion , Gotta Keep it REAL Man .....
I kinda guessed that was the case to be honest, just that when I read stuff online it's real anger black/white,male/female,left/right etc, I imagine lots of people who I wouldn't want a pint with lol.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
So, pipe bombs apparently sent to the left by a Trump supporter, 8 people shot dead at a mosque presumably for some political reason, all in one week. The US certainly seems a bit broken to me.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
So, pipe bombs apparently sent to the left by a Trump supporter, 8 people shot dead at a mosque presumably for some political reason, all in one week. The US certainly seems a bit broken to me.

Yep.

Nothing more to add, really.

We're all f###ed up.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy
Makes me sad for you guys to be honest. I know it's only a tiny percentage of the population doing things like that over politics but it makes me think of IRA days in Britain back in the 70's and 80's as a kid. At least the IRA identified with a different country to the UK...yours seems more like civil war.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Makes me sad for you guys to be honest. I know it's only a tiny percentage of the population doing things like that over politics but it makes me think of IRA days in Britain back in the 70's and 80's as a kid. At least the IRA identified with a different country to the UK...yours seems more like civil war.

Yeah.

And it's going to get uglier.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I hope not for everyone's sake, but how to fix it I wouldn't have a clue, seems so polarised.
Like everyone has dug their trenches and pinned their flag to either mast, no middle ground to meet in.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Media hype. It sells newspapers and clickbait ads.

We are a country of about 380,000,000 people of all stripes and colors. We have a lot....a LOT....of people living here illegally, too, probably around 20,000,000.

In the large metropolitan cities, mostly in the northern part of the country, you will find the Big Problems that come from a variety of issues where millions of people live close together.

Otherwise, most Americans are concerned with their families, their communities, their schools, their careers, and the good Life in general.

I live in a red state. We are mostly happy, fairly prosperous, and care for our neighbors regardless of their stripe or color. Don't judge America by the .0001 that do heinous things. "Middle" America is onboard and ready to see our country solve what needs to be solved. Most of us really are like Trump....eager to MAGA for all.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Imagine Brexit but worse.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords
I know it is the minority, but even on ATS the US members are much more angry with each other over politics compared to say the Brits.
My arch nemesis is a member from Scotland, we argue in the Brexit threads because he wants to stay in the EU, and we argue in the Scottish independence threads because he wants to leave the UK. It gets passionate sometimes but I'd have a pint and a game of pool with him for sure, he is a right laugh with some of his lines.
A lot of your guys seem like they'd just shoot each other...the political rage is a bit alien to me.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Imagine Brexit but worse.

That's the thing, Brexit has split our country, almost 50/50, but the anger doesn't seem the same. We haven't left yet so anything is still on the cards, hopefully it won't be riots on the streets though, or pipebombs and killings.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

We are more verbal online, I think. Otherwise, I think the majority of us just agree to disagree.

I'm sure in a country of this many diverse people, some get into real altercations over political arguments. Personally, I have never seen that happen in my orbit of family and friends. Sometimes there is a heated back and forth on Facebook, but when we are all together for a celebration event or BBQ, the banter becomes humorously "argumentative".

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Good to read that, I know what you mean about online people are more intense, but I'm pretty much exactly the same online as I am real life. I treat forums and social media like being at the pub.
I actually prefer local facebook pages for trolls because I invite them to meet me at a pub of their choice if they are being all keyboard warriory - they always fail to accept the invitation. ATS I can't do that to shut a troll up due to distance.
Sad to read the anger between US folk online though, and although the killers in real life are the minority, you have to remember there are more people in the EU but less political violence reported.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Oh, I agree. Americans are passionate about politics for the most part, and we have an obsessive love for freedom and the right to freely express ourselves. Our unalienable rights are precious to us here. I don't think Brits and Europeans feel that same passion.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I got to disagree with DB on this one, folks keep forgetting 9+ million sq kilometers of land, 330+ million people, yes by the media and the interwebs we looks broken as all get out.

But when you get out and about, for example I live in a state folks on the east and west coast consider borderline 100% racist, yet I have never lived anywhere else that had so many interracial couples.

Most americans outside of a handful of enclaves on the elitist coastal areas or the heart of conservative country don't care about sexual orientation, or religion , or political affiliation.

Problem is these peoples wont rush to get camera time, so the impression is we are 2 armed camps that are ready to kill each other and that just doesn't survive the reality touch.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
The passion with Brits is more individual issues than left/right.
I've been involved in civil disobedience, protest, even riot situations over issues like GM crops, wars, hunting with hounds and nuclear weapons, but it is always the people fighting authority, not each other. I've had left and right wing fellow activists beside me in my life, all fighting the common enemy.
Left/right rally's in Britain are boring affairs, but try to plant a GM crop somewhere and it will be destroyed and there will be violence between activists/security/police.
...we beat Monsanto by the way, I got arrested and bloodied many times but we beat them, no GM crops are commercially grown in the UK to this day.

Brits are more 'meh' when it comes to pure left right because there are so many places we meet in the middle.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

...no GM crops are commercially grown in the UK to this day.

Wait until we export or Masonic GM Maryjane plants, you'll be seeing chickens in suspenders when we're finished with you.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf
It's a pity the silent majority become sidelined, even on ATS, the mudpit for example is the obvious one, but I see it in other forums.
I can't imagine the regular Brits on ATS arguing like US members do, sure we bicker but then we have a laugh or a bit of banter about it.
I'm glad the US is not as divided/broken as it seems online though

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Lmfao!

No worries...I've seen things man...things...

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

a reply to: TinySickTears
So mudpit talk is really just that online? You don't have arguments in real life like you do here yeh?
Any protests going on in your area?
Just genuinely curious about real life of members, do you see the left/right split when not looking at a screen?
Another member replied most are thinking about work, mowing the lawn, paying the bills etc, same in my part of the world.

You need to understand that everyone's dick is 4 inches longer on the internet.

couldn't have said it better

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: darepairman
Lmfao, I'm happy just being average

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join