It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the US broken in two or is it just like that on the internet?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The stuff that everyone argues about on here. I have not seen in real life. Not that it does not happen. It's just this country is huge, and local isolated incidents get blown up into national issues to hype up the fear. Fear sells really well. Fear is the only thing keeping CNN and FOX flush with cash.

The truth is both "sides" are a minority. Most people do not actually care either way. Like others have pointed out. Just go look at the amount of people who vote compared to the total population number.

It is why I always get a laugh at the people who argue over Fox and CNN viewership numbers. You will see the Fox people say CNN is dying, which is true, and then gloat over their news choice being number one. Fox News averages 1.4 million viewers during the day and 2.4 million viewers during primetime. The population of the USA is over 300 million. Both news networks are dying and have pitiful viewership numbers. Which is why they both need to pander to the fear addicts to stay alive.

The actual majority has become apolitical. But if you listen to ATS. There are running street battles every night between Antifa and Patriots in every town and city. Chicago is a blighted wasteland of apocalyptic proportions where you shouldn't go or you will for sure die and then get turned into a mutant zombie. America is doomed. Anarchy is universal and everywhere. Pray for our souls. Fear everything.

edit on 19-10-2018 by karmicecstasy because: I have no control over my life. So I must become a super bad arse tough guy on the internet to justify my existence.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Primarily, I'd say -- if you search/re-search the main demographic/culture that fought against Civil Rights, Women's Rights, Marriage Equality ---- you'll see the problem

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

I'd say its not the norm..yet, but im increasingly see it spill out into the mainstream and into the general public. I remember years ago it seemed like this kind of fighting and polarization stayed mostly towards fringe and outside the box new sites, from 2012-2016 it spread into the main stream and began spilling out into real life, I have definitely seen the anger regarding politics spilling out more and more with people in my personal life.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
the internet and real life are 2 totally different world's, I rarely meet SJW's in my real life day to day but I work in construction

there is a lot of racial tension where I live though but there's a lot of violence and crime here as well so it's a low level mentality

in nice parts of the country where I've lived there's nearly no racial tension but that's also where all the SJW's live oddly enough, but they tend to be mostly rich white liberal's who everyone can easily ignore

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Thanks for the great replies, interesting reading for sure.
So who can be the middle ground leader to appeal to the middle of the road people?
It could be a strong niche in your nation if as some say left/right are almost equal minorities.
Good to read that most folk in day to day life are not like antifa or proud boys, the media totally blow that up.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Is it really like that in your day to day life???

We typically don't talk politics or religion outside of family and friends.

Do you say start chatting to a guy at the diner or bar and then find out he's opposite so now I don't like him?

That kind of hate, based on ideology, is mainly for many on the left. They tend to see you as a monster at worst, or ignorant at best, if you support the current administration, which is responsible for lower unemployment, a higher GDP, better trade deals, a higher stock market, and for us being the #1 economy in the world again. It's puzzling really. We, more on the right, tend to view them as idealistic and naive, but we foster no hatred towards them, as we know they'll eventually grow out of it.

Do you have big arguments in real life over your left/right thing?
Honestly I'm curious because if the online story is true then it must be worrying for your nation.

Well, we have "discussions" about it, until a lefty loses it and then calls us "Nazis" or "Fascists", or can only refer to the POTUS as "the orange con man" and other such nonsense. At that point, its usually better to simply part ways for a timeout for a bit, and allow them to go back to their bubble of friends who all have the same views they do. That way, they can then be shocked on election day, because they never bothered to understand the views of any outside their bubble...so when reality hits they are unprepared, because after all, everyone they know voted differently.

But, at least one side and the many not on a side, mostly foster no ill will. Not to say there aren't those on the right who hate those on the left...but the numbers are a bit more skewed on the other side. Otherwise intelligent people I know are simply incensed when it comes to debating a person who leans more right. it's rather uncanny (and as you say, a bit worrying.

edit on 19-10-2018 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

I'd say many (most) today of higher educated get their news from the Internet.

Leaving what demographic still watching TV news?

The deadpan news guy of time past -- reading real news is dead.

FOX (especially) prays on emotions. "Dry" Facts be damned.

FOX TV leading the news war is insulting.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

So who can be the middle ground leader to appeal to the middle of the road people?
It could be a strong niche in your nation if as some say left/right are almost equal minorities.

Typically, the Libertarian party stands for this.

However, the odd consequence of this ideology, is that folks are too SMART to want to be the leader...so the only ones that step forward to do so, are the loony element of the party. And most simply aren't electable.

Also, this party does NOT have the entrenchment of established politicians, so they'll never get the funds needed to compete in major elections. However, this is changing with social media, but the leadership problem remains.

So, we're then back to choosing between two evils. (and the lesser of the two).

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

In answer to your question it is yes and no.

Individually, the country is together. Individually, people are reasonable and tend to find middle grounds, and often are alright.

However when the mob gets together, all reason goes out the window, and those individuals are drowned out.

Are there problems, yes, but then again most countries, when it comes to politics tend to have problems. Is it as bad as it seems on the news, yes and no. Depends on the area and what all is going on. IN most cases, no, it is isolated incidents, but when it blows up, it tends to go bad.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Please.

Neither side holds a monopoly on their news insulting our intelligence.

CNN, the NYT, the Washington Post, etc. are no better. Sensationalist headlines, and when you read the actual article, you actually see the opposite is true (from the headline). And I'll agree Fox does the same. Then again, it's been decades since the purpose of the news was to inform. These days, it is all about a driven agenda. They haven't even been deceptive about this.

The only folks still getting their news from the TV are over 50...

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok

The only folks still getting their news from the TV are over 50...

I'm 72.

Started my political affiliation as a Republican. The Neo-Cons were the beginning of the end.

Have definitely lived through many changes.

I stand by my opinion.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I started as a Democrat. When they got CAUGHT rigging the primary, that was enough for me. Hell, then they rubbed our noses in it, as the one responsible then went to work on her campaign!

And folks still vote for this party? It's rather amazing, really.

Of course, it started sooner, with Obama's incitement of a racial divide every single time there was a national story about it. He single-handedly set race relations back 20 years with his nonsensical jumping in before the facts were learned, on these cases.

I drifted away from the party with their choice of Obama, because he was a do-nothing congressman out of nowhere with a shoddy attendance record. So, he was an obvious political puppet. I wasn't crazy about Hillary then either, so it wasn't fun having two poor choices. I will say though, Obama turned out to be a good statesman, a first family, and a world ambassador. Unfortunately, his policies I couldn't agree with.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
It may be the time for a new party.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Pretty much we're screwed.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Sad, for a first rate country... is that right?

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Yeah.

Pretty much.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Most People I Know in the " Real World " , not this Internet " Virtual One " , seldom Discuss Politics at Work or in their Leisure time . It seems their Lives are Complicated Enough with putting Food on the Table and Paying their Numerous Bills . A 24/7 Job by the way . Sadly , as the World Politic Changes over Time , the Direct Effect on their Personal Lives will Eventually make them pay more Attention to what is Happening around them . The Online Universe is an Illusion , Gotta Keep it REAL Man .....

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Yeah.

Pretty much.

I'm crying.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

It's been coming for a long time now.

This isn't a new thing.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   

a reply to: InTheLight

It's been coming for a long time now.

This isn't a new thing.

I'm still crying and donating to United Way. Trying too.

new topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join