It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the US broken in two or is it just like that on the internet?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight
That was a chuckle and I knew loads of answers, but I know many British folk would fail our citizenship test for sure.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
That was a chuckle and I knew loads of answers, but I know many British folk would fail our citizenship test for sure.

Same here, but how many citizens really care about politics - or that which they cannot control?
edit on 110CDT11America/Chicago045111131 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

When people have time to sit and formulate a response anonymously it really creates a different atmosphere than when people are gathered around a dinner table or out on the deck with some beers. Being in person and having to think quickly on the fly and not being able to shove links and references down others throats keeps people civil.

I don't doubt that we are all internally thinking many of the things that are spread around the internet, but I've rarely seen an actual conversation be had about any of it. Either nobody really cares or nobody has the balls, or the MOST likely....

Without a computer by their side... nobody is actually educated enough on any of these topics to get in a real conversation.

Except for anti-vaccers... I've found that they love to start a fight and will make themselves look like total fools in front of strangers. Seen it in person on several occasions.

And diet information... like the Keto people... thats the hardest thing about Keto... not telling people you are on it.

edit on 19-10-2018 by MarkOfTheV because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Good point, offline world I rarely talk politics, most folk aren't interested, unless they are rabid Daily Mail or Sun readers who'll rant about a headline at the pub or something lol

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV

Being in person and having to think quickly on the fly and not being able to shove links and references down others throats keeps people civil.

You think so? I think its the comfort of knowing you're likely not going to have to square up.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV
Haha good reply!

It's nice to read this just seems to be an internet thing with the US, when I read stuff like potential civil war I'm like wtf?!

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

a reply to: MarkOfTheV
Haha good reply!

It's nice to read this just seems to be an internet thing with the US, when I read stuff like potential civil war I'm like wtf?!

Supposedly, that's part and parcel of the fear tactics campaign the Republicans are utilizing because they are afraid they are losing the game.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV

Being in person and having to think quickly on the fly and not being able to shove links and references down others throats keeps people civil.

You think so? I think its the comfort of knowing you're likely not going to have to square up.
That seems more like it to me. Discussion is generally more chilled face to face compared to internet.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
The US is broken, but not in 2.

We have 2 sides: Lliberals, a vast minority. Conservatives, more than liberals, but still a minority.

Then the rest of us who are more libertarian leaning and who don't really like either side that much. You don't see much from us online. We get tired of the BS debate tactics used by the true believers, and don't feel like having to shout over a room full of political acolytes just to have a voice. Its known as "the silent majority" and its who most politicians try to win over. The "moderates".

The funny thing is that both sides attack us moderates for our lack of zeal, and blame the worlds problems on us.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
So would you say most folk are middle of the road depending on specific issues then, same as in Britain?
I only see extreme politics at rally's or protests and online, people at the average pub/work/whatever are mostly somewhere in the middle.
edit on 19-10-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: typo

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Most are moderate. Most actually don't care.

COnsider: the last election had a turnout of 120mil. That isn't half the population. We usually don't even get 100mil to vote. In the most hyped and dramatic election ever...we only increased turnout by 20%.

The better the economy is, the less people that will vote.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

It is that bad, plus we have zombies. Or are those the two parties and the people that vote for them? Not sure.....

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Not much difference to the UK then, we have left/right, then the third largest party, The Scottish Nationalists who want to break the UK up. Not many options to choose from here if your vote is to make a difference.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Voting to "make a difference" is misusing your vote. Its subrogating your mind to group think.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

a reply to: TinySickTears
So mudpit talk is really just that online? You don't have arguments in real life like you do here yeh?
Any protests going on in your area?
Just genuinely curious about real life of members, do you see the left/right split when not looking at a screen?
Another member replied most are thinking about work, mowing the lawn, paying the bills etc, same in my part of the world.

Pretty much man.
There are dudes at work who's politics don't line up with mine. They know it and so do I. Mostly people just keep it to themselves or talk with like minded people.
No protests around here.

There was one in Cleveland last year after the cops # some kid but other than that no.

Most of it is internet tough guy # and the media spreading it.

At least that's what I see

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
I never group think, I've written tomes on ballot papers before now explaining why I reject all of them for personal reasons about them as individuals.
Yes it is a spoilt ballot, but it is my spoilt ballot, my voice, saved officially for however many years the paper slips are kept in storage.
...no electronic voting here and I would protest/civil disobedience against it if they tried it.
EDIT
I write my full name on the voting slip as well, when I spoil a ballot I own it.

edit on 19-10-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
In the very few liberals pockets of the USA there is probably plenty of confrontation and childish violence and nonsense. In the 98% land mass of the rest of the USA we deal with things like adults.

Map

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears
Same as here then, the risk of a fight keeps us all staying civil in real life, but when it is behind a screen some folk become rabid.
I'm actually pretty much the same online as real life, I treat social media as like the pub...in fact, in local fb page conversations I've invited trolls to join me for a pint at a pub of their choice...they always decline the invitation the big mouth # houses lol.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I think its pretty bad. I have relatives that won't talk to me. I have lost friends over it. It is ridiculous. But I have to be honest, the inability to not have dialogue in my view is a left wing thing. I am willing to argue or talk or whatever without thinking another person is unworthy of my time.

I think its because lefty's really thought that with Obama the "golden age" was upon us and mean ol Trump is pretty much reversing just about everything Obama did.

I mean I knew some of my pals were in literal tears when Obama won - because they knew he was communist lite - and they were always secretly communist.

The young people that are freaking out are just doing so because its like a group thing, their buds are into it, so then they are as well.

The older people though? Yeah I think some of them are ready to go civil war action.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

In a sense, that's a very difficult question to answer.

The easy answer is that no, on the ground at least, things appear to be calm and quiet and people are more or less civil toward one another.

By the same token, you don't see a lot of happy, smiling people about. Go to a restaurant in the Cities and its remarkably grim; the only people who are expressive and congenial are the wait staff. That's not to say people are openly hostile but its obvious the "walls are up" and every one is careful to not make eye contact or bump up against someone.

The bar scene pretty much died years ago with the smoking bans and now the bar scene is predominantly one where suburban druggies go, drugged up, to have ONE drink while they score some more drugs and then try to find their way home without getting picked up by the cops. Here in Texas the rule of thumb is "we don't discuss religion or politics in public". Its considered bad form.

All in all the Internet makes it seem a lot worse than it is. The social media stuff is hyperbolic and really mindless and rather pointless.

What you would find if you were to visit the US, which I wouldn't recommend, (you see one McDonalds and a strip-mall, you've seen them all), is that about 50% of the population is truly just "out-to-lunch". They are like Zombies walking about staring at their cell phones. They can't even navigate the super market without staring at their cell phones and running into people. It's kinda weird because you see them either staring at their cell phones or staring at product on the shelves in such a manner you realize their nearly entirely lost; they don't really even know where they are and there's a reason for that. They have no situational awareness whatsoever.

The other thing you'd come to realize is that, yes, the US population has gone remarkably tribal and that there's practically no "cross-pollination" going on between and betwixt the various tribal groupings. They don't talk to one another, they don't interact socially and they don't mix a lot at the work place except casually and even that is painful because US Americans really suck at small talk. The other thing you would notice, at least in Texas, is that you will, in public, often times meet groups of Spanish speaking people who are conversing amongst themselves in Spanish (not real Spanish, Tex-Mex-Northern Mexico border Spanish). Don't be fooled; they are fluent English speakers. In certain pockets of Texas you'll find, in public, Arabs speaking in their language and increasingly, people speaking French who are quite obviously not from France. My wife and I and her family do that a lot in public; its kind of a "code" thing.

All in all, the US is a weird and uncomfortable space. As my son is fond of saying, "It's Disturbing".

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join