It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the US broken in two or is it just like that on the internet?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I'm posting from the UK so all I know is what I read on ATS, MSM, and the internet generally.
It seems mad over there, y'all seem really angry and polarised, no middle ground, one or the other, masts chosen firmly for one of the two flags.
Is it really like that in your day to day life???

Do you say start chatting to a guy at the diner or bar and then find out he's opposite so now I don't like him? Do you have big arguments in real life over your left/right thing?
Honestly I'm curious because if the online story is true then it must be worrying for your nation.

I talk politics with mates and colleagues but never get grumpy, we all pick and choose a bit from left and right, then just moan about whoever is in government. Even Brexit has been 'meh' so far, no real anger/protests/violence, and that is a massively polar issue for us guys right now.

So, in real life do y'all just get on with each other polite, or are you all walking on eggshells because left/right arguments get angry?
Thanks for any replies in advance, I may not reply much this is a genuine question to see what the story on the ground is with antifa/nazis whatever.
Is it really getting that bad as posted online?

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

What you read on the internet, particularly on ATS and other sites like it, is in no shape or form indicative of real life in the USA.
edit on 19-10-2018 by AScrubWhoDied because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Not really.
Most of us get along just fine.
If it was as bad as you see on the internet, bodies would be stacked like cord wood.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I spend about six months in London every year, and I can agree you lot are much calmer about politics. That being said and no disrespect, your politics and politicians are so boring it doesn't worth to argue about...

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied
Yes, you'd think Britain was over run with Muslims if you only get news sources via a 3rd party.
Do you know any radicals and stuff in real life is more my question, you know compared to the way people argue online.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
My opinion is that we have our problems just like anywhere else. And we have a media that throws fuel in any fire they can to bring up the ratings. Top it all off with a frustratingly incompetent government and there’s enough to incite societal friction.

By the end of the day though, it’s not as bad as it seems. Most people go to work and try to lead a peaceful life. Most people don’t shoot other people. Most kids can grow up to pursue a life of happiness.

I live in southwest Ohio and I don’t see It. People talk politics, or current events. But most people are worried about paying the bills, mowing the lawn, raising their kids and prepping for retirement.

I suppose if you live in places like DC, Chicago, San Francisco or Portland...it’s a little worse off from a certain perspective. But all-in-all, most people are doing just fine.
edit on 19-10-2018 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: szino9
Pmsl!!!

I'll agree there for sure!

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Think of it like this. CNN would be gone without the President to pick on. MSN probably too among others. Get past the noise and see whats really going on.

And HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I found this to be a decent breakdown of the polarized landscape in the US.

Hidden Tribes

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied
Yes, you'd think Britain was over run with Muslims if you only get news sources via a 3rd party.
Do you know any radicals and stuff in real life is more my question, you know compared to the way people argue online.

What you read on the internet is typically targeted. There was a study done at some point that basically showed most people just read headlines and will not fact check across other sources.

It's easy to take advantage of that.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

The funny thing is most people refuse to talk politics at work, with family, or friends here in the US.
It's become taboo.

So there is so much pent up political angst, and ATS seems like a good place to spew it.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Just don't show you support Trump and everything will be ok. Kinda sad, but definitely the truth.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: NiNjABackflip

Hidden Tribes
Wow, I skim read it for now but that is a fantastic link, thanks for posting it. Fascinating reading I'll catch up with later.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Half the people do not vote, most of them are not even registered to vote. Of those that do vote less than 10% support third parties, leaving the majority split mostly equally between the two main parties. Of those groups only about 1/3 really care enough to be vocal. And of the vocal ones, less than 1/4 are “extreme” with their passions.

So what you see is about 5% of the voting age population or roughly 3% of the total American population rounding up as generously as possible at each step. So 9 million people at the very most, but in reality more like 5-6 million total that are extremely vocal.

To put that in perspective, the population of New York City versus the rest of the entire US is vocal, slightly half to 2/3 of which are extremely vocal. Or in European terms, London mouthing off to the whole of the UK and Ireland and France and Germany and Belgium. Then add another 20 million people so maybe Sweden and Portugal?

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: NiNjABackflip

Hidden Tribes
Wow, I skim read it for now but that is a fantastic link, thanks for posting it. Fascinating reading I'll catch up with later.

It provides an answer to your question:

The reason American society appears to be split 50/50 is that the loudest and most extreme viewpoints monopolize airtime and social media space

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

There are hints of it in real life but it's mostly just internet tough guy talk.

Thats why a lot of it is funny.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears
So mudpit talk is really just that online? You don't have arguments in real life like you do here yeh?
Any protests going on in your area?
Just genuinely curious about real life of members, do you see the left/right split when not looking at a screen?
Another member replied most are thinking about work, mowing the lawn, paying the bills etc, same in my part of the world.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Is the US broken in two or is it just like that on the internet?

99% of the country isn't what you see or read in the internets.

Not to say this country isn't broken.

Cause it is.

Bigly.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

a reply to: TinySickTears
So mudpit talk is really just that online? You don't have arguments in real life like you do here yeh?
Any protests going on in your area?
Just genuinely curious about real life of members, do you see the left/right split when not looking at a screen?
Another member replied most are thinking about work, mowing the lawn, paying the bills etc, same in my part of the world.

You need to understand that everyone's dick is 4 inches longer on the internet.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join