It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happens When Humans Fall In Love With An Invasive Species

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   
some invasive species are beneficial, or at least liked

fivethirtyeight.com...

All over the world, you’ll find invasive species that are beloved by humans — even as these foreign plants and animals alter or damage the environment. The fight against invasive species is often framed as a technological problem — how do you selectively eliminate a species once it’s made itself at home in an environment? But in reality, it’s also a question of human hearts and minds. And those might be the harder obstacle to clear.

In the world of invasive species, sea lamprey are, arguably, public enemy No. 1 — the toothy alien maw grinning from a wanted poster. Nobody loves a sea lamprey. They kill native fish. They are neither beautiful nor delicious. They put commercial fishermen out of work. The story of the lamprey is the story of a clear villain that the good guys can (at least try to) vanquish...(but) salmon are a mostly self-sustaining population now, (and) even though they’re not native to the lake, no state government is making an effort being made to eradicate them, Schreiner said, because, well, many people enjoy fishing for salmon.

(feral) cats are considered to be invasive.

Japan has a raccoon problem that started when a cartoon back in the day featured a raccoon and kids demanded them as pets
www.tofugu.com...

This is Rascal, star of the 1977 Nippon Animation series Rascal the Raccoon (Araiguma Rasukaru).

The series, set in early twentieth-century rural Wisconsin, follows the adventures of a young boy who rescues a baby raccoon orphaned by a hunter. Rascal, as the boy names his new friend, proves a loving companion...With the massive success of this anime, suddenly everyone wanted a raccoon for a pet. Over the following years, upwards of two thousand raccoons were imported to Japan annually...What was good for the raccoons was bad for a range of native species, notably birds (whose eggs, as noted earlier, are a staple of the raccoon diet). In human-inhabited areas, raccoons have been scavenging garbage, damaging crops (notably corn and melon fields), and even attacking pets. They’ve also been tearing up buildings, as they scrabble in and out of their adopted homes (typically attics or basements) which the humans so thoughtfully constructed for them..

(they have raccoons in Germany too!)

very very hard to rid areas of these animals once they become established.

thoughts on invasive species?

edit on 19-10-2018 by ElGoobero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Most, if not all, are here to stay, just don't try and control them by introducing more invasive species. Otherwise, encourage rare and endangered native species in your area. The native species are getting so rare now and people are so used to invasive ones, that the native plants and animals are basically now exotic.

Otherwise, don't fall in love with them, I've heard that mixed marriages never work out.

edit on 19-10-2018 by MichiganSwampBuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   
You get Centaur's? Or AIDS.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
there are japanese knotweed in scotland , I see many buildings being destroyed by them!

Also the grey squirrel completely destroyed the red squirrel across Europe and is still going

also the Chinese mud crab , which has come to the UK from china over hundreds of years ago and is slowly eating away all the mud banks in rivers up and down the UK

there really isnt much we can do !

our activities across the planet have done some damage which cannot be reversed

short of a complete control of earths bio systems we have tipped it !

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Some invasive species are more harmful than others.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I didn't know about some of these invasive species. Informative thread. Thank you!

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   
We can eat them...

Adult lampreys attach themselves to host fish with their sucker-like mouths. On the other hand, these gruesome-looking creatures are very edible, Rudstam said. “They have a different taste, like squid. The French eat them with delight. England’s Henry I died while eating a large meal of lampreys,” Rudstam. “And some of the Native American tribes out on the Pacific Coast eat lamprey and are concerned about their decline there. “They’re not a bad food fish. They hardly have any bones. You cut them into chunks,” he said.

blog.syracuse.com...

Carp in beer recipe...what could be better?

tpwd.texas.gov...

Japanese knotweed tastes like rhubarb, or for some a lemony green.

www.eattheweeds.com...

Invading Chinese delicacy crabs 'should be eaten' to stop them damaging British riverbanks - say scientists.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

---

Or use them as a medicine, such as Purple Loosestrife.

www.naturalmedicinalherbs.net...=purple-loosestrife.php

edit on 110CDT09America/Chicago04290931 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Since im a vegetarian Ill stick with the Knotweed!

I'll leave the wee mud crabs and grey squirrels to you lot !

I never knew knotweed could be eaten , thanks for that Light

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

"Carp in beer"?!!!!!!! Splutter! Us carp fishers take great care of our fish over here, photo and put back carefully and unharmed. We even carry special antiseptic treatment to treat any wounds they might have. Most of the Carp in our lakes have names.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

"Carp in beer"?!!!!!!! Splutter! Us carp fishers take great care of our fish over here, photo and put back carefully and unharmed. We even carry special antiseptic treatment to treat any wounds they might have. Most of the Carp in our lakes have names.

C'mon, you know you wanna but with a beer batter.

Dip scored carp pieces into a batter, place in the hot oil and cook until they are a crisp, deep golden brown. For a variation on your usual cornmeal batter, try dipping the fish in a milk ( alternative - BEER!!!), egg, salt and pancake flour mixture.

Eat hearty Sapien82.
edit on 110CDT10America/Chicago040101031 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I'll stick to the Beer, thanks! Don't Germans have baked Carp for Christmas or something?

I thought Japanese Knotweed was pretty poisonous - is that just the leaves? I think rhubarb leaves are poisonous too.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I'll stick to the Beer, thanks! Don't Germans have baked Carp for Christmas or something?

I thought Japanese Knotweed was pretty poisonous - is that just the leaves? I think rhubarb leaves are poisonous too.

Just make sure you identify it as Japanese knotweed and the stalks can be eaten like rhubarb. Some other knotweed's (in the buckwheat family) only the tubers can be eaten.

the3foragers.blogspot.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

We have lots of the stuff locally, but too busy with fruit and stuff from the garden to use up at the moment.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Lampreys, pah. Just wait for those Pythons in Florida to get a taste for human, then you can look out. Oh they're nice pets when they are small. They're cuddly, they lie in bed with you.
You do know why they lie with you? They lie alongside you to measure you up, when they think they are bigger than you they WILL try to eat you.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Lampreys, pah. Just wait for those Pythons in Florida to get a taste for human, then you can look out. Oh they're nice pets when they are small. They're cuddly, they lie in bed with you.
You do know why they lie with you? They lie alongside you to measure you up, when they think they are bigger than you they WILL try to eat you.

It sure looks like you have a python problem there, but it's sad you can't eat them because of high mercury levels. Is anyone dealing with reducing the high mercury levels in the waters there?

This year, 940 participants have registered for the competition and have caught 66 snakes so far. The person who finds the most pythons wins $3,500. If participants want a keepsake from their experience, they can hang onto the snake's skin, which can be tanned and fashioned into a leather product. The skin might be sold. It's even legal to eat the snake. But because of high mercury levels, it's not advised.

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

We have lots of the stuff locally, but too busy with fruit and stuff from the garden to use up at the moment.

Nice. All I have to say is make sure you research the species first, for proper identification and uses.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Rabbits in Australia are a good example. With few predators they have overrun the country and several attempts at controlling the situation have been only partially successful.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Where did you come from?

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Is this true? Names and first aid?

Wow....I did not know that. I bowfish for carp in the states. A much maligned species here but they are still amazing fish.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
We can eat them...

book on that subject

www.goodreads.com...

author tracked down several invasive species (lizards, lionfish, jumping carp) and cooked same. interesting read.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join