It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Bought My Son A MAGA Hat And Now I Am Afraid

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

yeah look i personally would love an end to violence, but the relevant thing here is that a bully got elected.
and i'm not coming for trump when i say that, i mean literally i see so many posters on this site talking about him having the balls to be insulting, bragging about triggering snowflakes and owning libs and so on - which is like, whatever, not my bag but i get where a certain sort of person is attracted to that - but it's pretty wild to support that, to affirm this massive unlikeability act, and then cry when people respond to that and don't like you.

also finding it real difficult to see where you pulled any sense that i want revenge from my post. i said i want people to be kinder to each other and i said it pretty straight up.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

Good! Then I support you. We all need to be more civil toward each other.

I don't agree with your assessment of Trump as a "bully" though. I was a small fellow as a child, and received more than my fair share of bullying because of it. I know bullying, and what Trump does is not that. Yes, he can be a bit acerbic at times in his speech, but no more than his detractors. Pretty words do not change the underlying intent of the message.

The media in general has been vicious in their treatment of him, to the point that their bias is easily quantifiable. Likewise, the DNC leaders in the Congress have taken every single opportunity to berate and lie about him, preferring to stall any good ideas he has in lieu of working together to meet common goals. He has responded in kind, but the difference is that Trump uses common language rather than politically correct speech. Wrapping a turd in pretty paper makes it no less a turd.

That's not to say I think everyone should like Donald Trump... heck, I don't really like Donald Trump. I like his policies and the fact that he at least tries to keep his campaign promises. It does mean that I think everyone should at least respect the office, hear him out, and stop the constant lies about his so-called racism and sexism. He has shown none of that.

The worst thing we as a society have ever done is perhaps the "anti-bullying" movement. The concept is wonderful; I despise bullies at least as much as anyone else. But the implementation has been such that, instead of decreasing the bullying that was occurring, we excuse it by labeling those who fight back against bullies as bullies themselves. This is the principle I see happening around the current administration. Any attempt to fight back against lies is seen as bullying, and any attempt to stop bullying is seen as lies. The result is an actual increase in bullying, which is what this thread is all about. A man is concerned for his son's safety for daring to express himself. Yes, he can take the hat off and blend in, something that many cannot do, but the principle is the same. No one should be in fear over a belief or physical difference... no one.

That is why I needed the clarification. You seemed in your earlier post to be ambivalent and even hostile toward anyone else who was experiencing a taste of what you experienced. I would hope, and think, that of all people you would be the first to realize the pain and hurt such actions can cause, and thus the first to defend the boy by denouncing violence in all its forms.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
99.95555% of people aren't give to give a crap what hat you wear in public. Of the hundreds of millions of people in the U.S. there are a few occasional, rare stories of someone getting assaulted or more usually insulted for wearing a hat that offends their beliefs. So.. he will PROBABLY be OK.

Sometimes I wonder if people either try to pander propaganda to foster fear in something that doesn't exist, or actually buy into it. If the latter, keep in mind MSM focuses on any tiny thing that might make news, and then blows it dramatically 100x to sell their story. There aren't actually mobs of "leftists" waiting to pounce on anyone so foolish as to wear a MAGA hat in public... it's going to be OK.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

Yeah, right...

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Yeah, right...

TheRedneck

So are you suggesting his son, proudly wearing his MAGA hat, will accidentally wander into the middle of BLM protest? Because that is what you linked to (and it was no accident of course). How is what you linked in any way, a normal day to day experience? It's not. There have been a few videos of people in restaurants or whatever being harassed (like the idiot that tossed ice into a kids face for wearing a Trump hat). So it can happen, sure.

But again, such incidental experiences are RARE. Wear your Trump gear to what is basically an anti Trump protest is OBVIOUSLY not a great idea, and not what I was saying.
edit on 21-10-2018 by fleabit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit

Yeah, right...

TheRedneck

So are you suggesting his son, proudly wearing his MAGA hat, will accidentally wander into the middle of BLM protest? Because that is what you linked to (and it was no accident of course). How is what you linked in any way, a normal day to day experience? It's not. There have been a few videos of people in restaurants or whatever being harassed (like the idiot that tossed ice into a kids face for wearing a Trump hat). So it can happen, sure.

But again, such incidental experiences are RARE. Wear your Trump gear to what is basically an anti Trump protest is OBVIOUSLY not a great idea, and not what I was saying.

What about these kids? Where was the anti trump protest they walked into?

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

So are you suggesting his son, proudly wearing his MAGA hat, will accidentally wander into the middle of BLM protest?

These 'protests' (aka riots) are getting more frequent every day. Some of them are spontaneous, as in not advertised. So yes, he could wander into a riot... I mean 'protest'... accidentally. Especially since many of them seem to happen around schools, and that's where boys tend to be during the school year.

That video was the first one I saw... there's plenty more.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

What about these kids? Where was the anti trump protest they walked into?

And I referenced that in my last post. The fact you didn't even look, and posted the exact event I mentioned shows how RARE it actually is. So this happens and somehow means that crazed mobs of leftists are ready to assault anyone wearing a MAGA hat? That's the propaganda many Trump supporters are trying to convey. That Democrats.. anyone on the left, is somehow predisposed by their party affiliation to become violent. Which is laughably ridiculous.

With a couple events occurring every year, I think you can safely assume that wearing a stupid hat will be perfectly safe. His kid is probably has a much greater chance of getting into a car accident, then being assaulted for wearing a Trump hat. Like I said.. disingenuous and untrue propaganda. These posts are ridiculous. And then the outpouring of worried sympathy for the safety of the child.. it's almost comedy.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

So yes, he could wander into a riot... I mean 'protest'... accidentally.

Not bloody likely. Maybe 1 in 10 million chance, I guess.. maybe. Probably much lower chance. That he is wearing that hat AND accidentally wanders into a violent protest? You guys are funny, seriously. How many violent protests have you personally walked into over the last 2 years? I could venture a guess that pretty much on one on this board has accidentally wandered into a VIOLENT protest in the last year.

Now just waiting for two dozen Trump supporters to respond, saying they have wandered into 10 protests in the last 3 months, and were worried for their very lives, and it was lucky they survived.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   

With a couple events occurring every year...

Speaking of laughable...

Some things are so ludicrous that it makes no sense to even respond. So I won't. I will, however, address this:

That's the propaganda many Trump supporters are trying to convey. That Democrats.. anyone on the left, is somehow predisposed by their party affiliation to become violent. Which is laughably ridiculous.

What's ridiculous is that you even think that.

Yes, most (admittedly not all, but most) of the riots are being staged by the liberal left wing of the Democratic party. That is not the same as saying all Democrats are rioting. I know, I know, you'd like for that talking point to take off and make everyone concerned about the violence surrounding politics look like a loon, but I'm not gonna let you get by with it.

Try again. Better hurry... that red wave's a-comin'!

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

How many violent protests have you personally walked into over the last 2 years?

Moot question, hoss. I live in the middle of rural Alabama, and I rarely leave the house.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

How does one define "protest".

Of course, I'm not a Trump supporter, I'm more inclined to toleration of the man, and the second someone comes along who can do the job, or he runs out of time, I won't be.

I've run into a number of "protesters" since Trump was elected, not sure what they were protesting, but that's neither here nor there, who've looked to get their violence on, but for varying reason, didn't. I didn't get "lucky and survive"--there'd have been no "luck" involved. They're out there, right alongside the idiots from the right.

To deny that, is to deny the reality of situation. No, you don't run into 'em everywhere, I certainly don't, but you do run into them at oddest of times, and places... Me, it was a grocery store, and a 7-11. The first time was election night, when some fine fellows decided I looked like a Trump supporter...odd, since I wasn't. The second time it involved those currently, heroes of some on the right, the ProudBoys... Neither time saw any blood flow, apparently they decided that beating me down wasn't worth the time, effort, and pain, that would've been required.

Yeah, I know, I sound like an internet Rambo, don't I?? Naah, just an old man who's been there, done that, and got myself a few scars to prove it. An old man who's getting just a tad bit fed up with the willful blindness of all too many partisans herein, and out in the real world.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull
I've been involved in violent protests, but never 'bumped' into one.
Violence over politics is not really a thing though in Britain, there were apparently 600,000 people protesting for a second referendum on leaving the EU yesterday and no arrests or reports of trouble.
If I lived in London I would have protested against them, but the only organised bus/coaches to London were by the unions against Brexit so I didn't go.
They won't get their second referendum though lol the government flicked them the bird.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
a reply to: rickymouse

Why in the world would anyone wear a MAGA hat? I could see buying one and keeping it as a souvenir, but wearing it is something that should never be done

Says who, and why not? Why would you presume to tell anyone what they can and cannot wear?

I hope you did not spend much on the hat, that is probably a worse investment than buying a Mega Millions ticket.

Says who? you? Should people not be able to believe and feel what they want and express that? Your bias does not equal everyones belief system......do you advocate telling people what they should and shouldnt wear in expressing themselves?

I have not seen anyone personally wear a MAGA hat, I have seen lots of people since they came out and nobody is dumb enough around here to wear one in public. I do not see anyone wearing any sort of political anything other than when you go to a specific function, then you may see a democrat or republican handing out pamphlets that is wearing a political hat or shirt. Who the hell even cares who got elected, I am much more interested in watching tv shows or talking on the net than going to a political rally. I would rather go fishing, hunting, camping, boating, gardening, etc....the last thing I am interested in doing is going watch a politician lie.

Wearing a political party hat is just stirring up chaos, with half of Americans being on one side or the other. I do not even like caps for teams, people get polarized with that too.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
Off topic but your world sounds like a lovely life in the great outdoors.
I enjoy reading your posts

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
One of the ideas that most Americans cherish is the freedom to be an individual, part of which is choosing how to dress.

People becoming upset over a hat is crazy. Not much different from gangs attacking a person because of the "wrong" color of shoes or shirt a person is wearing.

It's just advertising. Seeing it for that is asking too much of many in our society now. Take the argument to the source.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel
If the clothes have a message then it will indeed be inciting trouble.
I'm not a member or supporter, but if I wore a 'Britain First' hat in say Luton or any high Muslim area on my own I would expect trouble. It is life, wrong football shirt in the wrong pub could get you beaten up. Those are extremes though, like wearing a Proud Boy hat in Portland Oregon lol.
I don't get the anger over politics left/right thing in the US, most people here are the same, can't imagine being angry with someone over their legal party support.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I really doesn't change that much based on which side is running the place. People vs politics would be more useful then side vs side. The leaders figured out how to use it to their benefit years ago.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   

How many violent protests have you personally walked into over the last 2 years?

Moot question, hoss. I live in the middle of rural Alabama, and I rarely leave the house.

TheRedneck

Spuirrels protest and they get pretty mouthy if you cut off their nuts.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Welcome to the club. As a liberal, I've had to consider whether I wanted to wear various shirts/hats (including the pink kitty-ears hat) and generally, for my safety, I choose not to.

This is not a good time to wear controversial slogans -- no matter on which side you are.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join