It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Share your knowledge with me

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Hi folks my name is David, i'm approaching 40 and the main thoughts in my head
have been asking questions of this weird world and my existence in it since the age of 7.
like my first thoughts as a boy about the afterlife and my fears about the end and nothingness
as i couldn't comprehend infinity, it just didn't sit right in my young head. The fear of nothingness
was probably the thing that made me search for alternatives and all things paranormal.

Now i am still searching for truth just like you guys and i would like to share some of the books i
have read along my path that i feel have guided me too where i am just now.
the earliest book i remember but don't even know if i was able to read it cause i must of been 5, but i
remember the pictures and it was fantazia with Mickey Mouse
i used to read loads of high school horror type things but only one book sticks out and the only thing
i remember of the book is that near the end the main character in the book had just discovered that every
thing that existed and everything in the house had a soul or a consciousness i don't remember which one
but think it might be soul as i am biased towards consciousness, but this part has
always stuck with me out all the books i read at that time, it must have sparked something in me,

my mum used to get me various types of books at charity shops and i will always remember the book
of forbidden knowledg (thats its name lol) it was a big black book with baphomet on the front, it
told you about various occult things and people like Aleister Crowley, the book was such a buzz for me
at the time, it gave you instructions on how to have an OBE, and i tried it and my young mind (14 or 15)
felt like it was starting to happen and i got scared, binned the book and lost interest in that type of thing...
till recently.
but im now going to tell you a succession of books in order and how they have helped to develop my thinking
The secret, Rhonda Byrne, its message opened my eyes although i seen its flaws after a while , the alchemist
by Paolo coella was a book that i will always remember how good i felt inside after reading, i took from that
the treasure lies within you but you must go out and experience life and its wonders first.
Derren Brown, Tricks of the Mind, after learning the method of loci in this book, i had the confidence to go
to Uni as it turns out anyone can appear to have a photographic memory through this mnemonic method that
dates back to Homer. capitalist schools would never teach this was a memorable thought from reading about that
mnemonic method.
soon after i started to get into Jungian Psychology after reading Jungs Auto biography and learning about his NDE
about the collective unconscious, the shadow, and archetypes all resonated with me in a big way, enough to want
to study psychology and learn more about these types of personas that arise from us or our ManyMasks
other books by Jung like the red book and jung and the occult pushed me towards more occult based books.

Cosmic Trigger by RAW is a book i strongly recommend when it comes to all things Woo as you call it, its honest
and the writer treats his experiences as experiments, another further eye widener for me.
RAWs work led me to Peter Carrols book Liber Null and the Psychonaut, this book and the follow up Liber Kaos
give you methods on how to perform Chaos Magic, which i used to think was BS along with all other things magic
and ghosts etc etc, i think this fall out happened after my semi OBE as a boy, but i came back full circle, just like
santiago (the alchemist). i have experienced enough things now that give validity to magic (name of stigma or wit)
as existing although i haven't tried any of it yet, if anything i will be meditating and doing Yoga for a long time before
attempting the descent into chapel perilous (voyage of the psyche), softly softly will be my approach.

there were other books that have guided me and i might add any important ones later, but i would be very grateful
if any of you wise old owls would like to share some books that have opened your eyes that bit further.
Thanks

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ManyMasks

Believe it or not, H.P Lovecraft... stories,and do not forget about the letters and other writings, just an incredible mind tapping in the aether.

One of those gems hidden in plain sight.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Alright, I'll tell you everything.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   
First book I remember reading was "Put Me In The Zoo." Next was "Black Beauty."

Think you are way evolved beyond little old me.

Student to teacher: Welcome.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Hello David,

The Purpose Driven Life

The game of life and how to play it by Florence Scovel Shinn

Missing 411 - I have all the books, still haven’t finished yet, but working on it.

edit on 18-10-2018 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Welcome to ATS!

The Celestine Prophecy was one of many books I read that helped me to open my eyes a little wider.

Sometimes a good story/book is all it takes to fire your brain in the right direction.

Enjoy your stay!

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I wish I could give you a star here for the old-school chunk vid.

To the OP:

Welcome.

I always like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's not a "serious" read but it is embedded in my mind forever because it is the one of the first books my father read to me. I was 4 or 5 so it was perhaps a strange choice.

Other than that, Siddhartha, several Tom Robbins novels, and "The Outsider" by Colin Wilson have been monumental.
edit on 18/10/2018 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Fascinating intro. Hello and welcome!

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Thanks people I've checked out some of the books recommended and will be sure to read the ones that stick out, The Celestine prophecy, published 1993, pages 163, with 633 reviews on Amazon, is one that has spiked my interest due to the numbers as I've been reading a lot on numerology and tesla 3,6,9. I just love synchronicity.

top topics

join