It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Plans to Dump a Million Tons of Radioactive Fukushima Water Into Ocean

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Actually I'm rather surprised that this is being reported. The Japanese did enact some sort of 'gag' order on reporting, don't recall the specifics.

In a move that has sparked outrage from local residents and dire health warnings from environmentalists, the Japanese government is reportedly planning to release 1.09 million tons of water from the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant into the Pacific Ocean despite evidence that it contains "radioactive material well above legally permitted levels."

www.commondreams.org...

Granted they have no room to 'store' it, and more is being 'created' everyday. Their freezing attempt was insufficient.

Still think nuclear generation of energy is a good idea?

Still think it is 'carbon neutral'?

Short term thinking results in long term suffering.

Happy Thursday.

Add this to it:

Global Pattern of Microplastics (MPs) in Commercial Food-Grade Salts: Sea Salt as an Indicator of Seawater MP Pollution

pubs.acs.org...

... and it's just a bumper day for the ocean.
edit on 18-10-2018 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

From 7/17/2017

Fukushimas Nuclear Waster Will Be Dumped Into The Ocean

"The decision has already been made," Kawamura claimed, according to The Japan Times

edit on 18-10-2018 by MarkOfTheV because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Just for perspective.
A million tons of water is a cube 109 yards square.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
A drop in the ocean. Every other nuclear power has done much much worse.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Plan too ? They have been doing it since the reactor melted down in 2011.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The pacific is a tough old bird, she can take it. Besides what is the alternative?

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Sounds fine to me. All the heavier particles will sink to the bottom of the ocean and eventually be absorbed into the mantle. Good plan.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I for one think it is a great idea, many more available spaces will be granted for nuclear waste. This could become a trend for natural occuring disasters effecting nuclear facilities. If this type of catastrophe would have happened in the u.s or europe, without a doubt they would have done it much sooner because of their power over international courts. If anyone has any plausible suggestions that could be more efficient, i aplaud you go write a 100 page reasining & legality as to why this is less effective than your option. Other than that, wishins for bitchin lazy links.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

in other words a drop in the bucket that is the north Pacific ocean.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
LOL

ALPs system.

Said back in the day it wouldn't work....here they are stuck.
edit on R532018-10-18T15:53:07-05:00k5310Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: watchandwait410

Send it into space, only to fall apart on ascension then hits the jet streams and we are all hosed?

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Exactly

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Got a question, why is this thread dead and no longer accessible in the Japan forum?

Japan declares nuclear emergency after quake

Yeah, just go and click on it.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Yalea like a drop in a bucket filled with livi g micro organisms. It only takes a drop of fentanol on the human body which contains 75% water but those effects are rendered severly. Put a drop of heroin & it is not all so bad, you will barely even notice the effect. It is not the amount you put in something, it is the quality of what you put in.

I still think it is a good idea to put nuclear waste in the ocean, we are going to space anyway, whoever is to poor to go will have to suffer not the rich. So send it, we already destroyed this earth so bad we can not turn back anyway.

The fentanol was probably a bad example because I do not agree with putting fentanol in animals even for experiment or patches.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

It's still active...I just bumped it.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

That's part 2. Not the original thread just below it.

Japan declares nuclear emergency after quake
welshbelieverstarted this topic on Mar 11, 2011 | Pages: 1 2 3 .. 1401
513on Sep 07, 2013 by
SkepticOverlord
edit on 18-10-2018 by Groot because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   
What else can they do with it. Eventually the cost of trying to contain the radioactive water won't be sustainable and the radioactive water will be dumped into the Pacific without any storage effort.. Tokyo will eventually became uninhabitable because of contaminated ground water. Its a bad situation but not as bad a Chernobyl. Whats better, fission reactors or coal or oil burning. Governments consider carbon more of a problem.

Chernobyl was much much much worse than Fukushima because radiation was released into the atmosphere.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I don't think Walter holds radiation. The heavy particles swirling around in it will, but they will quickly settle at the bottom of the ocean. Compared to the thousands of nuclear bombs countries worldwide have set off in the past many of which have been in the Pacific this is really a nothing burger.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Who didn't expect this ?

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Godzilla is not pleased!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join