It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HUGE Drop Off In Reported UFO Sightings...What's The Reason?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: JimOberg

The other problem on here and other sites on the net re ufo reports are claims made by the people reporting them.

Here are a few examples

1) I spend a lot of time looking at the night sky and have never seen this before. That claim is made a lot on here yet often it's about common objects in the sky. Take Sirius for instance if you see it low on the Horizon it seems to flash reg/white/blue, It happens every winter here in the UK where I live and every year we get ufo reports about it.

2) The object was doing at least 10,000 mph + because it went from horizon to horizon in 30 secs. I have watched the ISS cross over many times and at 17,500 mph it can be in view for 5+ minutes horizon to horizon.

3) Claims of speed and distance when you don't no the size of the object or distance you can't give accurate info.

The list has many more I think people think they have seen something unusual so it then becomes a ufo because they don't have the knowledge re other objects it could be.

The other thing we have members that think others don't have the right to debunk what others claim even when what most debunker's will do is give evidence to back it up where the ufo report hasn't.

I would really like to see a genuine 100% ufo thats why I joined and lets be honest a sceptic is more like to find the real deal because they will debunk other possibilities first.

edit on 22-10-2018 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimOberg
Accidental experiments such as these missile tests provide ample evidence that people see what their culture encourages to perceive.

People see what people see, it is their description that is shaped by culture.

People have been seeing and then describing anomalous aerial phenomena since the dawn of history, way before mankinds space programme. Aside from the more recent black triangle sightings the descriptions of many are remarkably similar despite the different cultures and the millennia between them.

Not saying your proposition is wrong, it obviousoly accounts for some reports and it is relatively easy due to location and timing to relate the two, it is the rest that interest.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: chunder

It's also completely wrong to assume that when people see something unusual that their description is somehow inaccurate, unless there is some other kind of objective evidence to indicate that. And it's very unlikely that they can all be wrong. People will try to describe what they saw the best they can, and the default expectation should be that they're accurate up to the point where they start trying to make connections that weren't there in the actual experience. (i.e., "There was a glowing golden orb and I knew it was the Virgin Mary." Okay. Glowing golden orb. Virgin Mary? Well, let's stick a pin in that for now.)

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: KilgoreTrout
Cheers for the heads up, I wasn't aware of him at all. I may even buy his book and his one on Military Sociology (which is more my usual fayre) if I can find it at a knock down price.

‘No End to the Making of Books’: Awake!—1978

EVERY year billions of copies of books roll off the presses, eventually finding their way into homes, offices and libraries throughout the world. In the United States alone, each year sees the introduction of over 20,000 new books, not including textbooks and reference works. Add to this more than 8,000 reprints and revisions.

Clearly, no one person could ever hope to read all the books that have been published. In view of today’s fast printing methods, the following words written about 3,000 years ago are even more appropriate than when they were first recorded: “To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion to them is wearisome to the flesh.”​—Eccl. 12:12.

One “wearisome” factor is that publications dealing with the various fields of knowledge may present conflicting views. So, the person who centers his whole life around books can tire himself out reading, comparing and trying to resolve contradictions. Particularly when it comes to philosophical studies, often it is just a matter of one opinion versus another opinion.

Since a person obviously cannot survey the whole field of human knowledge and theory, he must be selective. Just what writings are most beneficial and can safely be used as a guide for life? Wise King Solomon, the one who wrote about the making of many books, provides the answer: “The words of the wise ones are like oxgoads, and just like nails driven in are those indulging in collections of sentences; they have been given from one shepherd.”​—Eccl. 12:11.

According to this, the most valuable writings are those that originate or are in agreement with the “one shepherd.” Who is this “one shepherd”? King Solomon’s writings are a part of the Holy Scriptures and, therefore, the “shepherd” must be the one referred to in those Scriptures. At Psalm 23:1, for example, we read: “Jehovah is my Shepherd.”

In view of Solomon’s words, the greatest benefit comes from a careful study of the Scriptures that are inspired of God. This will not tire one out, as can vain efforts to resolve the conflicting theories of men. By putting the Bible’s guidelines into application, millions of men and women have come to appreciate the truth of what we read at 2 Timothy 3:16, 17: “All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.”

The wisdom that is Biblically oriented can indeed affect us like the oxgoad mentioned by Solomon. This implement, the oxgoad, with its sharp metal point, is designed to prick a draft animal, prompting it to continue moving in a certain direction. Similarly, the words of those having godly wisdom can prick the listeners or readers to advance in harmony with the wisdom expressed, to their benefit. Also, persons who occupy themselves with “collections of sentences,” that is, truly beneficial wise sayings or proverbs, are like nails. How so? This is because nails can provide support for something or can stabilize it. Likewise, by their sound words of wisdom, “those indulging in collections of sentences,” can have a stabilizing and supportive effect on others.

Hence, do not permit yourself to be distracted by the multitude of books that are continually being printed. Take time to consider the most valuable book of all, the Bible, and publications that are in harmony with it. Then, concerning the Bible, you will not feel as did the American patriot Patrick Henry who, shortly before his death, said to a friend: “This is a book worth more than all the others that were ever printed. It is my misfortune not to have found time to read it with the proper attention and feeling till lately.”

Also see my signature about being selective or the text under my accountname.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Books are made from paper which is made from trees. Trees are green which isn't my favourite colour, but it's OK. People say green cars are involved in more accidents than other colours. I'm not sure about that. Maybe people who prefer green are more likely to have accidents and it really isn't the colour we should be blaming.

Shall we talk about green or Jehovah's Witnesses? Oh no, it's a thread about UFO sighting reports and neither of them relate to the topic no matter how clever we are at shoe-horning them in.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
THe reason may be as simple as the proliferation of smart phones.

Lets be honest, while they are not SLR's most modern phones have pretty good video capabilities so people are not putting up with grainy, shadowy footage. In other words it IMHO tends to be a bit more legit than someone simply describing a hovering triangle etc

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT
I think phones play a role, but maybe people do get some images or video of the big black hovering triangle they saw, and show it to a few friends before calling the UFO reporting center. Now that the friends have something to look at instead of just hearing stories like before smartphones were everywhere, maybe one of them thinks the video looks familiar, like three Chinese lanterns he saw last year, so the guy who made the video decides to not call in the hovering black triangle report after all.

It would be nice if there was a way to collect statistics that really explain the drop in UFO reports, but I don't know how you would do it. Without data on the actual reasons, the smart phones have to be near the top of the list of suspects. The spread of many capable drones is another reason near the top of my list.

originally posted by: Rhombus101
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Id say part of the decline is shills and trolls, agressively shouting down anyone who expresses any oppinion thats pro ufo. You only have to look in the threads here, they react like you iether insulted them personaly or they getting paid for their efforts.
If by "pro ufo" you mean that someone says "I saw something and don't know what it was therefore it must be aliens", that kind of perception usually doesn't show much critical thinking and most everyone should agree that some critical thinking should be applied to solving any unknown mystery. If you don't agree with that, then you probably don't want to know the truth and just want an echo chamber to agree with unsupported claims that "I don't know what it was so it must be aliens" or the comments like Jim Oberg posted where someone says "I don't care what anyone says I know it wasn't from our planet" when they are looking at earthly technology that's been on earth for 60 years.

originally posted by: wmd_2008
a reply to: JimOberg
The other thing we have members that think others don't have the right to debunk what others claim even when what most debunker's will do is give evidence to back it up where the ufo report hasn't.

I would really like to see a genuine 100% ufo thats why I joined and lets be honest a sceptic is more like to find the real deal because they will debunk other possibilities first.
But Chris Mellon says this UFO is not a US experimental craft, don't you believe him?

Even though it was identified earlier as a mylar party balloon in the shape of the number 1, but you're not allowed to say that or someone like the poster above talking about shills will call you a shill. It would be cool to see a real UFO that's more interesting than a "nocturnal light". I always thought a real alien space ship should look more like this than some fuzzy dot on a grainy image:

originally posted by: JimOberg
a reply to: KellyPrettyBear

There are folks around the world doing exactly what you ask about, writing how other people can do it too. Check out www.satobs.org.

The bottom line: naked eye sky observations have, can, and will continue to provide very valuable information on what's flying around up there, when properly assessed based on demonstrated accuracy.

See 2015 Trident SLBM launch off California
satobs.org...
That's a great article and fantastic research, thanks for posting it! As scientists like to say, research has shown that human visual perception systems are not reliable data taking devices, or to translate into English sometimes we are confused about what we are seeing, and it doesn't necessarily mean the person is nuts, it seems to be quite normal and has happened to me a few times that I wasn't quite sure what I was seeing at first. But a lot of your witnesses seem to be ordinary people, so the ATS folks often tell us we need to look at the stories told by astronauts and pilots who have inhuman accuracy in their observing capability, and anything they say can be believed. But then someone checked out that claim and found that wasn't really true, oh wait, that was you! And of course Hynek thought pilots have more misperceptions than most classes of observers.

originally posted by: KellyPrettyBear
2) Could you please speak to what a regular hobby astronomer might see 'in orbit' with a decent commercial telescope? I've often wondered about this..

The international space station for example.. how clearly can that be resolved with hobby gear?
It depends on how skilled you are in your hobby. This man has skills:

An amateur astrophotographer takes on the challenge of getting a stunning shot of the ISS and succeeds.

edit on 20181023 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: chunder

I think the better word to use instead of description is expression.

The description will be what they see, its how they describe it with what terms and concepts are relative to them that can explain what they see is what they use and what is guided by their culture.

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: whereislogic
Also see my signature about being selective or the text under my accountname.

Very sage advice, thank you.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
My guess is it would be easy for UFOs to avoid an area with cellphones bc of the signal they give off, but alot harder to avoid an area with an analog video camera bc they dont give off signal for data connection.

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
This thread has a lot of great points posted in it - good topic!

I personally have never encountered a UFO - I was quick to debunk the things I've seen in the sky i thought to be strange. That said, I'm a believer in the UFO phenomenon (not sure if it's ours, theirs or some combination of the two) and do believe.

I'm not totally sold on the data regarding downticks in sightings, but instead I'll contribute this:

If reported UFO activity is indeed down, it's likely not due to a singular reason. Rather, a confluence of reasons.

What I mean by this is, despite many reasonable points that have been made in this thread I don't by that any one of them unless carried to the extreme could account for a dramatic drop off in UFO reporting.

So to me, the multiple factors include - and in no particular order:

- People looking down at their smart phones
- Desensitivity to tech/sci-fi type discussions
- Success of the psy-op of the gov that if you actually believe in this phenomenon you're "delusional"
- General dumbing down of society to the point that they worry more about Kim K's haircut than anything substantive
- Fewer people are skeptical of Gov today (at least in the US) than previously (sheeple)
- Lack of serious global nuclear threat
- So many "fakes" that anything real could be easily set aside as a fake - thus desensitivity
- Generally declining societal interest in the subject
- Gov able to intercept legit sightings more effectively (e.g. MUFON) and can shut down/sensor/monitor communications easily (this, I believe from personal encounters is likely a top candidate for the "why" - they got a lot better a shutting down those who might have something to say)
- General "noise" around the subject - UFOs got mainstream so those who want to keep this under wraps had to shut it down but drowning it out

But, ultimately, I believe it's because we're looking in the wrong places for "solid proof". I think finding the evidenece we all seek has to do with understanding how to detect it. We want photographs - proof! I submit that's unlikely to happen. We need the ability to identify and track radiation at a 500 km range. We need to be able to identify magnetic disturbance. We need to be able to have FLIR that's accurate at 10,000km. That's how you find these things.

Why? Because huge amounts of energy packaged in a small container is what we "need" to accomplish all kinds of things that we know are physically possible but we can't power. What if "they" or the unknown "we" can? You'd be looking for traces of radiation, heat signatures that are off the charts, massive and isolated magnetic or gravitational disturbances, etc. And at long range. That's how you find "them" or "it" or "whatever it is/was". But, the general public can't get their hands on devices that do that (to my knowledge). So, we're poking around with $10k USD HD/4k/hi-def digital cameras and watered down FLIR that fitler light or sense heat way, way under the 5-20km distance. Those tools are the equivalent to an early model Polaroid camera compared to what we actually need to find and identify these craft consistently and at scale.

My 2 cents.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   
If any aliens existed, nobody would see them float over a farm, or over a car, or ever see any UFO above the skies.

'Hey, Vordox, let's fly millions of miles away, to Earth, buzz above it, for a few minutes, then fly millions of miles back again!'

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   
the calm before the storm

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   
It seems that nobody ever saw aliens, for thousands of years....until the 1940's, when people started to see them all the time!!

I suppose Earth was once totally boring, and that's why no aliens ever bothered to visit!! The aliens waited for several thousand years, to find Earth was worth visiting at all, but nobody knows the reason(s), except that Earth was never able to destroy all life on Earth, until we created nuclear weapons....so maybe the aliens wished to protect us, or want to plunder Earth's resources, etc.

Who cares anyhow, if none of them alien freaks came out before the 40's, or so?? All of us can recall, or look back when, we first began seeing aliens, here!......

Everyone heard about aliens crashing their 'flying saucer' on Earth, in a remote New Mexico desert, near Roswell. Nobody ever knew Roswell existed, or ever could find Roswell, if they wanted to, or somehow get to Roswell, thereby, search for any/all of the evidence which may remain at the site, and collect any of it, while never showing any of the evidence, to the people of Earth, who could confirm if these are really alien-to-Earth materials, or not.

Aliens may have flying saucers, and they can traverse our galaxy, within milliseconds..... but, clearly, they had nothing which could have prepared them to fly above Earth!! Not at first, anyway!

Unlike our amazing moon landings, which were nearly perfect - thanks to NASA!

We all understand that the aliens make stupid mistakes, sometimes. Roswell showed the world about those aliens, who came to Earth, back in the 40's. They crashed their saucer, they might have all died, but most believe one survived. We have aliens working with us, in secret underground bases, like Area 51.

I once believed in aliens, that they surely have landed on Earth, at some time. I thought aliens could have crashed at Roswell, and even considered it possible that aliens were working with humans, on secret projects, to boot!

This was all a belief of mine, which I didn't need evidence for, which I had no proof for, which was based on what I wrongly assumed was proven. To me, it appeared obvious, many times, that the authorities are trying to hide aliens from the world. Why would they try to hide anything to do with aliens, if it wasn't true?

I was also hoping it was true, in some way, as well. Because I also believed the Earth was in space, alone in the universe, great dangers are found within space.... Earth is always in great peril!..

It's pure nonsense.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: turbonium1
It seems that nobody ever saw aliens, for thousands of years....until the 1940's, when people started to see them all the time!!

I suppose Earth was once totally boring, and that's why no aliens ever bothered to visit!! The aliens waited for several thousand years, to find Earth was worth visiting at all, but nobody knows the reason(s), except that Earth was never able to destroy all life on Earth, until we created nuclear weapons....so maybe the aliens wished to protect us, or want to plunder Earth's resources, etc.

Who cares anyhow, if none of them alien freaks came out before the 40's, or so?? All of us can recall, or look back when, we first began seeing aliens, here!......

Everyone heard about aliens crashing their 'flying saucer' on Earth, in a remote New Mexico desert, near Roswell. Nobody ever knew Roswell existed, or ever could find Roswell, if they wanted to, or somehow get to Roswell, thereby, search for any/all of the evidence which may remain at the site, and collect any of it, while never showing any of the evidence, to the people of Earth, who could confirm if these are really alien-to-Earth materials, or not.

Aliens may have flying saucers, and they can traverse our galaxy, within milliseconds..... but, clearly, they had nothing which could have prepared them to fly above Earth!! Not at first, anyway!

Unlike our amazing moon landings, which were nearly perfect - thanks to NASA!

We all understand that the aliens make stupid mistakes, sometimes. Roswell showed the world about those aliens, who came to Earth, back in the 40's. They crashed their saucer, they might have all died, but most believe one survived. We have aliens working with us, in secret underground bases, like Area 51.

I once believed in aliens, that they surely have landed on Earth, at some time. I thought aliens could have crashed at Roswell, and even considered it possible that aliens were working with humans, on secret projects, to boot!

This was all a belief of mine, which I didn't need evidence for, which I had no proof for, which was based on what I wrongly assumed was proven. To me, it appeared obvious, many times, that the authorities are trying to hide aliens from the world. Why would they try to hide anything to do with aliens, if it wasn't true?

I was also hoping it was true, in some way, as well. Because I also believed the Earth was in space, alone in the universe, great dangers are found within space.... Earth is always in great peril!..

It's pure nonsense.

I do think people are just tired of the BS. At it's peak even that super famous reporter did a show at Area 51 (forgot his name?) Which of course rested on Roswell aliens. Then you look into it and it's actually embarrassing?

Besides all the ways Roswell has been debunked I recently thought of this:
"The Mobile Quarantine Facility (MQF) is a converted Airstream trailer used by NASA to quarantine astronauts returning from Apollo lunar missions for a duration of 21 days. Its purpose was to prevent the spread of any contagions from the moon, though the existence of such contagions was considered unlikely."

So all these people including a rancher and a platoon of military all handled alien debris (and an autopsy) and everyone just was allowed to return home with their lips sealed?

Then all the early youtube attempts at hoaxing and Blink 182 guy shows up on Rogans podcast using a fake video as evidence of aliens and it's just too much.
Now that the entire population is armed with cameras they literally hold in their hands at all times there should be piles of UFO videos.

I actually had a strange sighting and I'm trying to figure out if it could be a drone? But all the hoaxing is tiresome.
Those drone videos are helpful.

My question is could a drone hold a larger light. something closer to one of those big spotlights?

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 12:10 AM
link   

probably not enough Alien or UFO movies from hollywood to ignite the imaginations of the public.

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaChaser

People looking down at their smart phones

This more likely as more and more distracted by their toys.

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Their mission is complete, all the hybrids are in place so they don't need to visit as often now.

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
They have collected their DNA and raw materials they desire..now some will surrender their lives to try to help us through the incoming storm. ….others are simply bugging out getting out of Dodge City before TSHTF....only our Terran underground residing unusual looking cannabalistic humanoids will be dug in safely...for everyone else its a crap shoot.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Maybe a directive was issued by, oh lets say a galactic council of Light that all beings apart from Angels or Light beings were to cease all activities on this planet until further notice. Just throwing a wild card out there
Aphex Twin Stone in focus

www.youtube.com...

edit on 18-12-2018 by DpatC because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-12-2018 by DpatC because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join