It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Month-Long (and a little more) Journey Reading the Bible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Greetings fellow ATS members. These past few months I've had a lot of changes in my life. Including a big move, and really a new life, or a second chance I guess you could call it. Starting over. I have posted on this site before several years ago. Know my old avatar name, but don't remember the password. I am new in a way, but old.

On 9/11 I picked up my Bible, downloaded a schedule to read the Bible in a year. I have read it before, actually several times. I really don't know how many, it's been years though since I've read it. I thought: I am going to read the Bible. I need to do it again.

That day I started out reading, and found myself so engrossed in the story in Genesis I didn't put the Bible down until very late. The next day I did the same thing. Actually when I woke up I turned on my tablet and couldn't stop reading it. Within a week I realized that I was a lot further into my Bible reading than I had anticipated. I was not looking to make reading the Bible in a month my goal-post. I was looking to making it a year. But it turned out that, since I am not working right now, and I am free most afternoons, and at night, I had time to read. And I didn't just read, but I studied. I prayed, I meditated. I did research. And today I am finishing reading it. It's the 17th, so it took a little over a month.

Well, I just wanted to share my experience, and what I got from reading the Bible through here. Hoping that perhaps it will help someone reading this, whether you respond or not. I realize that in a public forum you never know who is going to show up and who is going to read your experiences.

If you were to ask me what I came away with reading through the Bible this past month, if I could name one thing what would it be? It would be this: God is real. He is a personal God who has feelings, is just, acts with authority, he loves us with a great love, he is patient, but he is severe in his discipline when needed. He doesn't tolerate badness forever.

Really there is so much that it would be impossible to even scratch the surface in a single post. But through it all there was one scripture that just stuck out. To set the scene God had just lead the Israelites out of Egypt and through the Red Sea and destroyed Pharaoh and his army, and they were now encamped at Mount Sinai. God's presence was seen by all the people on the mountain by a dark cloud that descended on it with lightning, and the loud blast of a horn. And then Moses and Aaron and 70 elders were allowed to walk up into the clouds hoovering on the mountain. No one else, not even an animal was allowed on it. Then Jehovah God himself appeared to them in a vision, and it was like this:

Moses and Aaron, Naʹdab and A·biʹhu, and 70 of the elders of Israel went up, and they saw the God of Israel. Under his feet was what seemed like a sapphire pavement, and it was as pure as the heavens themselves.  He did not harm the distinguished men of Israel, and they saw a vision of the true God and ate and drank. Exodous 24:9-11.

Sapphire is blue. So the sapphire road God stood on in this vision "as pure as the heavens" reminded me of a clear blue sky. And of course they did not literally see God face to face. Because even there it says they saw a vision. And later on Moses asked to see God's face and Jehovah said that no one could see him and live. But he showed Moses a part of his glory, and when Moses returned to the camp of Israel his face was emitting rays because of the glory. And everyone had to shield their eyes when looking on his face. So when Moses when come down from being in Jehovah's presence he would veil his face so the rays he reflected from it from being in Jehovah's presence would not damage the peoples eyes looking on him.

Later when Moses was in the mountain conversing with God (by means of angels, we are told this later in several places. And we know it was not God himself because his voice is the sound of thunder)

In turn he said: “Here I am making a covenant: Before all your people, I will do wonderful things that have never been done in all the earth or among all the nations, and all the people among whom you live will see the work of Jehovah, for it is an awe-inspiring thing that I am doing with you. Exodus 34:10.

The most outstanding thing Jehovah has done is preserved a copy of his word passed down by all the prophets of Jehovah. And they were all fulfilled in Jesus Christ. And secrets that God had carefully guarded from long-lasting times were finally revealed in the son of man. The promised Messiah.

That God had chosen Abraham out of all of the people alive in his time because of his faith, and it was counted to him as righteousness and he was called God's friend. And he became the father to all people of faith. And that God had promised the nation of Israel to become a kingdom of priests and do work wonderfully with them. But they rejected Jesus, the Messiah and murdered him. And so God turned to people of the nations and called out of them a people for his name. And made a people that were not his people know him, and those who were far from the covenants near. And an accursed people became blessed. People who believed and put faith in Jesus and the word, while those who had Jesus and the prophets stoned them and put them to death.

That the good news of Jesus as spread by means of many powerful works along with holy spirit. And the greatest of all the sacred secrets was that God was forming a holy nation of spiritual Isrealites to rule with his son in the heavenly realms as kings over the earth. These he anoints with holy spirit. And thus the greatest of all the wonderful acts Jehovah is doing is making a new creation. And Jesus was the first among many brothers. They are born in the flesh and die to the flesh and just as Jesus was resurrected in the spirit, so too those called and anointed will be raised together with him during his revelation at the end of the days. And all the faithful men of old who looked intently toward the city with real foundations with their eyes of hope and did not see it will not be made perfect without the chosen race and royal priesthood God has formed, with Jesus as the high priest officiating in heaven.

That the whole law given to Moses taught man his sinful nature and his inability to be righteous before God. But that Jesus became accursed for all peoples so that all who look at him in faith might, even while they are dead in their trespasses be freely forgiven their sins. The sacrifices taught us the need for a redeemer. Jesus was the redeemer. The holiness of God and his righteous decrees teach us that there is right and wrong. That God expects his servants to be holy because he is holy. That he does not tolerate idolatry, sexual immorality, murder, thievery, lying, sorcery and demonism.

edit on 17-10-2018 by aniceday because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
That Jehovah will have in the last days a people from out of all the nations.

That God would have witnesses for his name in the last days. He said he would raise up a people for his name and they would be his witnesses:

Symʹe·on has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name. - Acts 15:14.

But you are “a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for special possession, that you should declare abroad the excellencies” of the One who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.  For you were once not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not been shown mercy, but now you have received mercy. - 1 Peter 2: 9, 10.

“And they will be mine,” says Jehovah of armies, “in the day when I produce a special property. I will show them compassion, just as a man shows compassion to his son who serves him. And you will again see the distinction between a righteous person and a wicked person, between one serving God and one not serving him.” - Malachi 3:17, 18.

That in the last days God will raise up for himself a people for his name, but that they would be talking about his name, and they would be distinguished from people of the world that did not know Jehovah. And that people everywhere would be meditating upon Jehovah's name and speaking about Jehovah's name to each other and to the people, and that God would be paying close attention to them:

"At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion, and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening. And a book of remembrance was written before him for those fearing Jehovah and for those meditating on his name." - Malachi 3:16.

The word of God is alive. Reading it you delve into the mind of God. See how he acts to good and to bad behavior. You listen to him as he says what he likes and dislikes. You watch as he speaks with power and works with power. You see how he calls out from long ago things that have not been done yet as if they already haven been. And see a God how can do anything he pleases to.

The Bible is not just any book. As you read it, and pray Jehovah God opens your heart, his spirit descends upon you and he opens up his scripture to speak to you personally. It is a mirror of truth that reflects to you who you are. It pierces into the marrow and discerns the thoughts and the intentions of the heart.

It is not of human origin. It is divine in nature. And those who read it become happy by listening to it and following its words. For Jehovah reveals himself to the person and acts powerfully with them.

He shows them that he has been with personally. He is watching and listening and acting. That the very fact that Jehovah has risen witnesses up for his name to defend right and truth is a clear visible sign to the entire world of his Godship, of his Almightyness. Of wonderful miracles now being performed in earth before our very eyes.

And that very very soon he will act in a grand grand way. He will act in rage against wicked mankind and will protect meek and righteous people who love him and his word and his name.

It has been a wonderful journey. One of humility, of deep introspect. One of correction. One of discovery. One of friendship.

For reference I used the very practical and wonderfully made app available on andriod for my tablet, and at the same time on my computer I use Windows 10 and had it installed through the Microsoft store as well. (The app is free. For anyone wanting a Bible, and so so much more I recommend this app. It is amazing!)

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: aniceday
I found three years was the most comfortable way of doing it. Old Testament in two, New Testament in one, roughly following the Anglican lectionary.
On the question of "seeing God"; the way I usually put it is that humans could not take in a true vision of God, so they are shown symbols and pictures designed to accomodate themselves to human understanding.

I see that you link to a Jehovah's Witness site. I hope you agree that presenting Christ to the non-Christians is more important work here than presenting any specific organisation.

edit on 17-10-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I agree that reading through it in a month is very fast. 3 years seems reasonable. Even 1 year very reasonable. The schedule I downloaded was designed for reading just 30 minutes a day to finish it in a year. So 3 years would be only 10 minutes a day. A very very reasonable goal.

I agree also the visions and anthropomorphisms are so that we are able to grasp what would would otherwise be things too wonderful, and simply beyond our ability to comprehend.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

As for you point about Jehovah's Witnesses. I was thinking about it. And thought this was just the right thing to answer you.

The Search

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I have never read the bible in order ever, probably never will because it doesn't make any sense and really, the Old Testament is too hard to understand and not enjoyable in many parts

I see no point talking up the bible. It's a good book with some great stories, wisdom and philosophies but
It's 2000 to 10000 years old and understanding the nuances is very difficult for most people.
It needs to be studied, reading it over a few months, I doubt you would get much out of it

As for Jehovah revealing Himself, yeah He did, in the pure form of Jesus Chtist, in the form of the Godhead manifested here on earth with us, His people

I bet you read the bible that your church prints, that only your church reveres

Don't just read your bible, it's a waste of time, study it
Don't just study it with your "Witness" friends, get as many different opinions as possible

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

You make a good point about the Bible being hard to understand in some parts. In certain parts even the prophets who wrote the prophecy said they didn't understand what they were being told. And they in turn were told by the angels that it wouldn't be until the last days that certain things would be revealed in scripture.

You are wrong about the Bible I read though. Although I recommend it. In the app I linked too it has I think about 6 different translations to chose from, including the KJV, which is published by the Jehovah's Witnesses. I still have one from long ago that the JWs printed. I've read through that one a couple of times. A lot harder to understand.

In my personal library in the states I have about 25 or so different translations and versions I've studied through the years.

As for a good place for reference while reading through the Bible. I found this very handy. It has references to most Bible verses very easy and fast to look up when wanting to get a better idea if you have trouble understanding it.

Scripture Index

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Hmmm my take on the bible was god is a raging petty asshole that gets delight in forcing humanity to bend to it's whim on consequence of death and torture. Honestly after reading about the way god not only razed babylon but murdered his own people who marched to babylon for not drinking from the stream like animals...# that...then there's a whole lot more random murdering and # everyone that doesn't bend to god's whims. That's not love, those are the actions of a manipulative controlling sociopath. Which makes sense, considering a good chunk of the bible was written as a way to control the unwashed masses of society.
edit on 17/10/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17/10/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   

I'm in a similar position to your's. I have a lot more free time than I had before, and I just decided to go through the NT books kind of randomly. Before I knew it, I read everything but the gospels, so now I'll be finishing those up by next week, and I'll be starting with the OT at Genesis. Funny coincidence. This whole year has been very strange for me. So much change and adaptation in such a short period of time. I've noticed the same situation in other believers too. Makes me think that something monumental is coming our way.

edit on 17-10-2018 by BELIEVERpriest because: typos

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: aniceday
If you were to ask me what I came away with reading through the Bible this past month, if I could name one thing what would it be? It would be this: God is real. He is a personal God who has feelings, is just, acts with authority, he loves us with a great love, he is patient, but he is severe in his discipline when needed. He doesn't tolerate badness forever.

Those who seek sincerely will find Him. For God knows a man's mind and desire.

God's presence was seen by all the people on the mountain by a dark cloud that descended on it with lightning, and the loud blast of a horn.

Sadly, this is the last public experience with God's presence.

And of course they did not literally see God face to face. Because even there it says they saw a vision. And later on Moses asked to see God's face and Jehovah said that no one could see him and live.

No one live to see God's true face except Jesus. It doesn't has to be. What matter is faith that one day, you will see our Father in heaven everyday eternally. ( Although, I am quite certain, I will be kicked out to this forsaken world to tell this again and again until Judgement Day. I am so damned. Lol )

But he showed Moses a part of his glory, and when Moses returned to the camp of Israel his face was emitting rays because of the glory. And everyone had to shield their eyes when looking on his face. So when Moses when come down from being in Jehovah's presence he would veil his face so the rays he reflected from it from being in Jehovah's presence would not damage the peoples eyes looking on him.

Yup. Without reading the entire Exodus Chapter, I always know His glory radiate in form of light to those He chooses. Moses is not the only one who receive this sign. I can tell you, some other prophets have the same aura. That is how we identify true messengers from false prophets. That is why people pre-Moses believe in Messiahs of God. But meh, just ignore my nonsense rant. I've haven't been myself this past few days. Lol.

In turn he said: “Here I am making a covenant: Before all your people, I will do wonderful things that have never been done in all the earth or among all the nations, and all the people among whom you live will see the work of Jehovah, for it is an awe-inspiring thing that I am doing with you. Exodus 34:10.

Tell the Israelites and their sons about it. This is convenant by blood. Not by faith. This does not apply to the gentiles. The other flocks have their own covenant for they have never publicly feel the presence of our Father in Heaven. This is called convenant by works and faith ( James ) or covenant by faith alone ( Paul ).

That God had chosen Abraham out of all of the people alive in his time because of his faith, and it was counted to him as righteousness and he was called God's friend. And he became the father to all people of faith.

That is why He is called our Father in Heaven, and His true name is the unpronounceable YHWH. See? The Jews are very afraid to mention God's name. A big mistake.

And that God had promised the nation of Israel to become a kingdom of priests and do work wonderfully with them. But they rejected Jesus, the Messiah and murdered him.

And they paid the blood price in 70 AD with the destruction of Second Temple. But that's not over yet. The second coming for the Israelite and their judgment days. This is what you get for defying blood covenant. The wraith of God is unlimited. Behold Israelites. You know it will happen. For the rest of nations, fear not. This does not concern you and your sons. This is between GOD AND ISRAELITES ONLY. A redeemer for what have been lost thousands of years ago.

That the whole law given to Moses taught man his sinful nature and his inability to be righteous before God.

And proven times after times. Jesus is not the only messengers they murdered. Not to mentioned worshipping idols. Seriously, do I need to cite the Bible, how many times they defied the prophets and Messiahs? They sodomized other people. They performed unholy sacrifices. They raped their slaves. They did not duly treated their neighbours and foreigners. They market the house of God. Did they honestly think God does not know this?

The word of God is alive.

Not to everyone. To pedophilia corrupted priests the word of God is as dead as themselves.

Reading it you delve into the mind of God. See how he acts to good and to bad behavior. You listen to him as he says what he likes and dislikes. You watch as he speaks with power and works with power. You see how he calls out from long ago things that have not been done yet as if they already haven been. And see a God how can do anything he pleases to.

The Bible is not just any book. As you read it, and pray Jehovah God opens your heart, his spirit descends upon you and he opens up his scripture to speak to you personally. It is a mirror of truth that reflects to you who you are. It pierces into the marrow and discerns the thoughts and the intentions of the heart.

It is called the Holy Spirit. I'm glad you find one. A lot of Bible readers could not find it, because it is a gift.

Sadly years of controversies and bloodbath has corrupted the Bible. That is why so many Christians hypocrites and their pedophelia priest are lost in their Church.

Bless you in the name of our Father in heaven.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Try The Naked Bible podcast! I think you will LOVE it. There are some 200+ episodes now. The first 10'or 20 episodes are short, and not as interesting as a little later when he really gets into the swing of things and finds his style. It's a PHD of Biblical Languages and a Christian who does the podcast- Dr. Michael Heiser. The series on the book of Acts is fantastic. He did a series on Leviticus- LEVITICUS- and it was fascinating! Who makes Leviticus fascinating AND applicable for today?!

I've been where you are- excited about reading the bible with new eyes (or something, since like you I'd read it many times but never had been fascinated), and shortly after I found the Naked Bible podcast.

Just wanted to share that with you. Will be back later to comment more. Great post!!

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
If I could think of the most painful thing imaginable to put myself through, it would be trying to read the entire Bible without going insane.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

In my opinion the best way to read the Bible is to take a specific theological topic and then research what the top 10 denominations believe in relation to it. Then discuss/debate with each of those types of believers the reasons why they hold those specific beliefs. Then research, cross-reference and read the different Bible verses in relation to those differing denominational beliefs.

Contemplate the differing beliefs, and the verses related to those beliefs and ask yourself questions as to which denominational belief is more accurate and closer to the truth or even whether any of them are True!

In this way, when you are reading the Bible verses you will be doing so with a specific goal in mind and more importantly, when you finally come to a decision; it becomes more meaningful because you remember your journey of contemplating and seeking out that truth. And even if you don't find a truth on a particular matter, your knowledge and overall understanding of the topic in relation to the verses will have increased.

It’s much better to be contemplating the reasons, ideas and be aware of the many theological standpoints that differing denominations hold, as your reading through the applicable Bible verses…

This is way better than just reading through the entire Bible from start to finish with the sole intention of just getting to the end of the Book…IMO

- JC

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   

It takes patience and introspection to read The Holy Bible from cover to cover, and I think I would have difficulty doing so in a month. Kudos.

In college, I decided to read the KJV and highlight everything that resonate to me as "science". When viewed through that filter, almost everything fit. I abandoned that project shortly after Ezekiel. I held on that long, because I knew that Ezekiel would be the motherlode.

After that, I open the Bible when I feel I need it, and I have read and do read it frequently.

Six months ago, I loaded it onto my Kindle, thinking that it might be something I would read when I found myself awake at 2:30 a.m. and unable to get back to sleep. Well, it is and it isn't. It isn't because it is not sleep-inducing as I'd hoped. Parts of the Bible are complex, repetitive and confusing -- at least as interpreted in the KJV and within context of contemporary society.

I dislike hearing Scripture used as a weapon, particularly when sections are taken out of context and used against groups of people. I do, however think it is fine to use Scripture as a weapon against those using it to persecute others.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 02:56 AM
link   
TRINITY IN THE BIBLE (MANY MORE REFERENCES AVAILABLE)

One God:
1 Tim 2:5, Deut 4:35, 6:4, Isa 43:10-11:
Plurality of One God: Gen 1:26, 3:22, 11:7, Isa 6:8.
Isa 9:6 shows the multiple persons of God as Father, Son, and Counsellor
(aka Comforter, which Jesus said he would send to his disciples John 15:26)

The Father is God
Isa 6:3 ,1 Cor 8:6, John 17:1-3, II Cor 1:3, Philippians 2:11, Col 1:3,
I Peter 1:2, Matt 6:8, 7:21, Gal 1:1

The Son is God
Jn 12:41, 5:18, 20:28, 1:1-14, 9:35-3, Titus 2:13, Rom 9:5, II Pet 1:1,
Col 2:9, Heb 1:8-10, Rev 1:8,18, Is 7:14, 45:21-22 Mic 5:2, Matt 1:23

The Spirit is God
John 16:13, Heb 9:14, Acts 5:3-4, II Cor 3:17, John 15:26

Who raised Jesus from the dead:
Father Rom 6:4, Acts 3:26, I Thes 1:10
Son John 2:19-21, 10:17-18
Spirit Rom 8:11
God Heb 13:20, Acts 13:30, 17:31

Who is God?
Father Eph 4:6
Son Tit 2:13, John 1:1, 20:28, 9:35-37
Spirit Gen 1:2, Ps 104:30
God Gen 1:1, Heb 11:3

Who saves man?
Father 1 Pet 1:3
Son John 5:21, 4:14
Spirit John 3:6, Tit 3:5
God 1 John 3:9

Who justifies man?
Father Jer 23:6, II Cor 5:19
Son Rom 5:9, 10:4, II Cor 5:19,21
Spirit I Cor 6:11, Gal 5:5
God Rom 4:6, 9:33

Who sanctifies man?
Father Jude 1
Son Tit 2:14
Spirit I Pet 1:2
God Ex 31:13

Persons of God do: Of the Father, by the Son, through the Spirit 1 Cor:8:6, John 15:26

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Joecroft

I agree with you that you should always have something in mind when reading the Bible.

There certainly are a lot of conflicting teachings in the different splintered sects of Christendom! Of course the Bible is the word of God, as it clearly says it is, and has proven. So it is the real deal. All teachings that go counter to scripture are counterfeit. So really we need not worry about the counterfeit. We need to study the real thing, and the counterfeit will become evident.

I really appreciated that when reading Jesus' words when he said that the people rejected John the Baptizer because he didn't eat or drink with them, but at the same time they rejected the Christ, because he did eat and drink with them. They called him a glutton and drunkard who associated with bad people and having a demon. Then he said, nevertheless, righteousness is proven by its works...

(John came neither eating nor drinking, but people say, ‘He has a demon.’ 19 The Son of man did come eating and drinking, but people say, ‘Look! A man who is a glutton and is given to drinking wine, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ All the same, wisdom is proved righteous by its works. Matthew 11:18, 19).

So certainly you want to compare what the religion/sect is producing as its fruit. And it will stand as either good fruit, or rotten fruit. I appreciate your appreciation for the sacred word of God in this matter.

One thing I did every day was have in mind, while reading: What does this teach me about God? How can I apply this to be more like him in my life toward others? What does this teach me about myself and how I am living my life? And with this attitude I would pray first for holy spirit to help understand what I was reading. Also, for Jehovah to open my mind to what he was directing to me personally. Prayer is our humble worshipful talk to God. Reading the Bible is one way we listen to him talk back and I was eager to listen to him. Not in a spirit of doubt, of course if I did have doubt that he would remove it, but a spirit of humility. And if my mind was not correct, that he correct it.

After reading a certain amount I would stop, meditate and what I was reading. What it taught me about God, asked myself what it teaches me about my personal relationship with him, and how I can improve it with others to reflect and imitate his good qualities. Then I would use what I was reading and in turn pray to God about the matter. I had to repent about a lot of things I found my mind had begun to dwell upon, or even I was doing, perhaps in my free time, the entertainment, perhaps movies or video games, that weren't pleasing to Jehovah.

I noticed immediate benefits. And things I knew before became even more sounded into my mind and heart. Above all, being with the spirit of God brings a spirit of peace and mildness and patience, and virtue, and love, and joy. All the things that makes a person happy and brings meaning to his life. I can see even more clearly how far society has fallen away from God. It is not peaceful. It is not joyful. It is not filled with love.

This scripture comes to mind that explains the contrast between the spirit of the world alinated from God and that ignores him, and the one that has God's spirit that dwells with him:

"Now the works of the flesh are plainly seen, and they are sexual immorality, uncleanness, brazen conduct, 20 idolatry, spiritism, hostility, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, dissensions, divisions, sects, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and things like these. I am forewarning you about these things, the same way I already warned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit God’s Kingdom.
22 On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, 23 mildness, self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Moreover, those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed to the stake the flesh together with its passions and desires." - Galations 5:19-24.

And I certainly haven't stopped reading. I have made it my determination to continue to read in it all the days of my life. As it states:

But his delight is in the law of Jehovah,
And he reads His law in an undertone day and night.
He will be like a tree planted by streams of water,
A tree that produces fruit in its season,
The foliage of which does not wither.
And everything he does will succeed.
Psalm 1: 2, 3.

And in another place to Joshua:

"This book of the Law should not depart from your mouth, and you must read it in an undertone day and night, in order to observe carefully all that is written in it; for then your way will be successful and then you will act wisely."
Joshua 1:8.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

It takes patience and introspection to read The Holy Bible from cover to cover, and I think I would have difficulty doing so in a month. Kudos.

I found the most monotonous portions to be lists of genealogies, especially a huge portion of 1 Chronicles, names I couldn't even pronounce, and certain aspects of the law covenant and all of the weights and measures which at first went over my head, and really, always had.

I dislike hearing Scripture used as a weapon, particularly when sections are taken out of context and used against groups of people. I do, however think it is fine to use Scripture as a weapon against those using it to persecute others.

Agreed. We should use God's word to heal each other and encourage each other to love and fine works. Not as a weapon to smite someone we don't agree with.

I try to always find something in common with the person I talk with, even if their understanding isn't in line with Bible truth for whatever reason. People open up to listening to God's word more by a kind gesture, and good deeds, than a pious attitude and hypocrisy with it.

top topics

join