It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KC-46 delivery slips

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Israel was approved for up to 8 KC-46 airframes and spare parts.

dsca.mil...

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I wonder how that makes Iran feel

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I wonder how that KC-30/KC-45 is now looking? Are they still banging on about made in Murica if the SHTF? Yeah I know Zaph, Ostriches/Emu's and all that....

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

Still having boom issues, since the Air Farce handed out the wrong numbers for the requirements.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Masisoar

I wonder how that makes Iran feel

probably not much different, the IAF already has a robust refueling capability. They'll just swap their aging KC-707 for those KC-46 over the next couple of years. The picture won't change much overall.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 05:43 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Had to happen with this train wreck, I'm a little surprised to see a congressman go on record that we don't have to stay with Boeing if they don't get on it.

Kinda strengthens my feeling that their days are numbered if they don't unstick their head from their rear end.

All that good will they had built up gone, they better be better and cheaper or it's over.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Yeah, that shocked me too. It would be interesting as hell to get a mixed fleet.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Actually a KC-46/KC-30(45) fleet wouldn't be a bad mix to replace the legacy tankers with. Particularly if you can standardize some equipment across the fleet. From memory the MRTT has a greater offload capacity than the 46, but there are probably areas where the KC-46 has some advantages. Plus if one of the fleets runs into a major issue you dont end up loosing your entire tanker force for a period.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

As long as they don't do what they normally do and start changing things in the middle. EADS would have to make some alterations to the existing design, but they were all done on paper before, so it should just be a matter of building and testing if they were to go that route.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Goldfein-

Goldfein said the force would manage its tanker shortfall the way it handles its shortfalls in bombers, fighters, intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance, and command and control aircraft: some combatant commanders just might get “less of what they’re asking for,” he said.

taskandpurpose.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

Wow, I really thought that was one thing holding Israel back. Man am I behind the times lol.
How long have they had those for?

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Masisoar

They had 707s since the 70s, and the first tanker in 1983. They're all converted airliners.
edit on 3/4/2020 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Masisoar

There never was a capability shortfall holding them back. A limited strike just wouldn't accomplish anything in the long run if the US wasn't willing to back them up with a prolonged, crippling air campaign.
Also Netanyahu coudln't muster a majority in favor of a strike in their security cabinet some tens years back, with most of the military and intelligence heads opposing it. At least that was the leaked news story from a couple of years ago.
I suspect Netanyahu just chickened out as per usual - one Bibis dirty little secret, for all his tough talk 'Mr. Security' is actually supremely hesitant committing the nation to actually risky military adventures, much more so than previous Israeli leaders.
Not that it was a bad call in this case, the nuclear deal (as bad it it was) did pretty much what a limited Israeli strike would have accomplished. It’s just neither is a solution in the long run.

Anyway back to Israeli tankers, it’s not just token capability, the IAF has been pushing their refueling squadron hard.
When they retired their oldest 707 last year (celebrating the event by refueling F-35Is with said aircraft) they said their fleet had some 15.000 air refuelings under its belt.
They also aquired some used 707s to be used for spares a few years back (at least officially, who knows), so the won’t go away any time soon.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 09:29 PM
link   
You really couldn't make this up if you tried. The RVS fix appears to have slipped a year, putting the earliest it will be seen in the 2023-24 timeframe. Meanwhile, before any tankers are retired as a result of the budget request, AMC estimates that the force is 23-28 tankers short on any given day. And the shiny, new KC-46 can't be used for anything but training.

www.defensenews.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Thank you mightmight & Zaphod

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Boeing's temp shuttering includes KC-46 and P-8 lines. Won't help the timeline.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Plenty of empty airliners just sitting around at the moment...

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger
Its really eerie out there. Hardly any flights and a lot of parked planes already. The feeling is very weird and surreal.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert
The time line will be extended because of all of this. It's probably in the contract. 1989 Boeing was behind on delivery of the 747-400. They put their heads together with the union and engineered a one day labor dispute. They got an automatic 18 month extension on all of their delivery dates. They dumped all of their outside vendors and moved everything in house (the union payoff). This put at least four companies out of business including the one I was working for.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join