It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump to withdraw from UPU treaty China BTFO

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

I hug everyone, I don't believe in parties.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

All the zero skill work already left and probably isn't coming back.

I live near an Intel plant. Know several workers. They employ 10,000+ employees. Some are low-skill line workers, clean room, janitors, cafeteria people... The vast majority are skilled workers and engineers designing new product, new machining and processes, programming their tooling, installing, trouble-shooting and fixing their tooling. Then their is the vertical growth from companies that are involved in designing or building the tooling, raw goods, shipping, plant construction and expansion, etc

More automation means more high-paying jobs at the expense of a higher number of low-wage positions. So it's true a factory in the 60's might have needed 1,000 workers to produce what one can do with fewer jobs now. It still creates high-wage jobs and our industrial base...

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Full disclosure I am a liberal as far as most things.

When it comes to the government I am as conservative as it gets. They are not the answer to the voids in our lives. We are..they should do as little as possible on their own and be following their constituents wishes, we have become dogs in pavlov's experiment, the lies are real not their policies. I hope everybody considers voting people out this election who have been in for a lifetime, even if the other party wins the battle, win the war.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert

All the zero skill work already left and probably isn't coming back.

I live near an Intel plant. Know several workers. They employ 10,000+ employees. Some are low-skill line workers, clean room, janitors, cafeteria people... The vast majority are skilled workers and engineers designing new product, new machining and processes, programming their tooling, installing, trouble-shooting and fixing their tooling. Then their is the vertical growth from companies that are involved in designing or building the tooling, raw goods, shipping, plant construction and expansion, etc

More automation means more high-paying jobs at the expense of a higher number of low-wage positions. So it's true a factory in the 60's might have needed 1,000 workers to produce what one can do with fewer jobs now. It still creates high-wage jobs and our industrial base...

We agree here. I think we just agree what level, and how to get there, and what to do with the people politicians are appealing to like coal miners or low skill workers..

I totally agree Nixon screwed us. With the gold standard and opening up China. Who are void of human rights in many cases.

I just don't think trump or the president was designed to do this work and can not do it in a sustainable way. The presidency was not designed to do this and it fails time and time again when the next party comes and undoes the work.

I can wish all I want my Mazda 5 with two car seats is an f 150 but it doesn't have the capacity to haul the same load and will fail over time.
edit on 17-10-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Full disclosure I am a liberal as far as most things. 

When it comes to the government I am as conservative as it gets. 

Good. You should be.

And the only thing more distasteful to me than the GOP is the DNC. One is bad for the country, and the other is crazed and bad for the country.

But we'll never have a better chance than right now to actually make change in our trade practices. Even if you think the next guy will just continue to sell us out, at least the next guy will have a better bargaining position than we have in a long time. Would slow the slide if nothing else.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

My disagreement is that trump is not following future industry enough and is focused on voter based traditional markets that are declining. Saving coal for a couple years isn't the same as providing incentives for new technology. Though coal will effect his numbers and the other is further down the road in terms of political rewards

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

In an ideal world, I'd be all for tip-toeing through the tulips. I don't think we have that time. The iron is hot right now. We just rewrote NAFTA if we can get the damn GOP to table it, we got new deals with Brazil, Korea, etc. The ship will right itself if we keep the ballast and pump the flooding.

I think we're at a pivotal crossroad, and we only got here because some obscene clownman who actually is trying somehow managed to become President. The next guy/gal will be right back from the R/D corporatocrasy.

US coal will go as the world market goes. NG is too cheap now for it to compete domestically. It is still rebounding nicely after gutting the checks put on it and is preferable to actively trying to kill the industry like the last administration.
edit on 17-10-2018 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I get your POV and you certainly could be correct. I just don't buy the hype personally.. I read the NAFTA revamp. It's not really very impressive to me and we haven't seen the unintended consequences yet when government intervenes in the market. There will be some there always are.

We are at a crossroads, but my opinion is if society doesn't realize we have to work together and not create tribes none of this will matter at all. I think the biggest danger to America is not trade or the economy but how we relate with each other. The Democrats, trump, and the media imo have done damage beyond what I believe is positive.

In this case I hope you are correct and I just have political PTSD.

As somebody concerned about the environmental cost vs benefit of coal I strongly disagree. Once the air is over my fence it's too late. We should as a species want to have better cleaner energy. I don't understand how this became a liberal vs conservative issue. The older Republicans were much better about the environmental policy and it was better having them legislate it than the Democrats. Now it's a wedge issue..

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: NiNjABackflip
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

I agree. Just take a look at the tabloid left and their fixation on a single man. So much so, that it trickled down to all of their their followers, rendering them incapable of looking beyond their emotions to search for new ideas or a solution to their problems.

The "tabloid left". I like that one. We should also call them "the media's base" so as to include the right-wing anti-trumpers.

Got to keep making up names to demonize the left because the last one made up didnt stick?

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   

We somehow got more ag to agrarian Canada. We pushed up Mexican wages to deincentivize off-shoring there. The biggest pieces are limiting auto components from China to any of the three, and giving the US a walkout clause triggered if they reach new chinese deals. Get enough in place with other nations, and we could actually isolate the overproducing Chinese command economy.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Or the unintended consequences kick in..

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

originally posted by: NiNjABackflip
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

I agree. Just take a look at the tabloid left and their fixation on a single man. So much so, that it trickled down to all of their their followers, rendering them incapable of looking beyond their emotions to search for new ideas or a solution to their problems.

The "tabloid left". I like that one. We should also call them "the media's base" so as to include the right-wing anti-trumpers.

Got to keep making up names to demonize the left because the last one made up didnt stick?

Natiive Alaskans have over 50 words for 'snow.' Some things are so prevalent and all encompassing, they require a jam packed tool box full of descriptive names for a single issue... the assyness of what you speak of is one of those things which needs a tool truck full of names to even come close to getting the full picture of how much ass they can pack into each story they tell.
edit on 17-10-2018 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT
Which just goes to show the globalist "uni-party" at work.

Which is why I laugh at self-identified Republicans and Democrats.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
I remember laughing at people and being smug because I voted for Ross Perot.

I would have been curious to see how he would have done as President, the guy, in retrospect, made a whole lot of sense.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yeah, but I've heard you also laugh at Steve Harvey, DBCowboy, Amy Schumer's jokes, and Carrot Top, so clearly your judgement is found to be lacking.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT

...but Clinton DID have to approve it for it to become law.

Stop deflecting and minimizing, Clinton doesn't get the bill unless the lackey Republicans pass it first. Constitution 101 here.

And Clinton doesn't 'approve' it, he signs it, Congress does the approving when to comes to law.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: CharlesT

...but Clinton DID have to approve it for it to become law.

Stop deflecting and minimizing, Clinton doesn't get the bill unless the lackey Republicans pass it first.

Uh, NAFTA became law in 1994, Democrats held both the House and Senate until 1996... just sayin'.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Like I said, US coal use is already dying. As soon as the few plants left need to modernize or refit, they'll switch to NG. It's under a third of our electric production already. I don't see any evidence we're worse off environmentally. Greenhouse emissions are down.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Yeah, but I've heard you also laugh at Steve Harvey, DBCowboy, Amy Schumer's jokes, and Carrot Top, so clearly your judgement is found to be lacking.

You went waaaaaaay to far there bub, I never laugh at Carrot Top.

Well, not his jokes anyway.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

... I'm impressed. You passed on the obvious low-hanging DBCowboy fruit and went for the Carrot Top zinger. You've grown a lot (character wise, not pants size-wise ala DBCowboy.)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join