It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Digital Dyson

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Okay...for months now I have been seeing this commercial from Dyson about their new "digital motor".

......what's a digital motor?!?

They probably have a very slick marketing explanation for what a "digital motor" is but when it all comes down something has to be turning aka not digital aka analog?

Anybody care to explain or can I continue ranting to my family every time this mindless crap comes on?

Peace

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: operation mindcrime

It's a crappy marketing decision, attempting to tie carbon brushes with carbon emissions to carbon dioxide to global warming.

Youtube, EEVblog

Hope this helps...

edit on 16-10-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Yeah..in looking into this I found what Dyson had to say but it didn't make much sense. As carbon brushes wear down, they emit carbon particles, which is bad for the environment....lol

Must have been a really short brainstorm session with the marketing guys from Dyson.

Peace

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Even though my wife has one I seriously dislike Dyson. When he shut his factories in the UK and moved them to the Far East he stabbed the UK in the back. Oh yes, he's spent his money in the UK buying up swathes of land. He's now the largest farming landowner in the UK.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Yeah, I've seen some videos on it. I think it is run basically the same way a subwoofer is run with a D-class amplifier (basically an amplifier which only has 2 modes, on/off, and variation of time in that mode, with which is very efficient for low frequency speakers and motors). It basically is a signal processor that switches the power on/off really quickly giving pulses much like a PWM (pulse width modulator) which also allows you to use higher voltages on a lower voltage motor or control an AC motor with a DC source and a few other things.

I'm guessing it is probably a scaled up brushless DC motor probably very similar to the one they use in their $400-500 hair dryer. They really aren't anything ground breaking from the things I've seen. There are MANY motors out there that are just as powerful just take a look at the motors on very high end hard drives, server fans and drones - all have amazing power to weight ratios either because they have very large heat sinks or they have massive amount of airflow.

Oh, Dyson is largely hype. They are neat machines, well if no overly engineered (if you like complicated and over-engineered air suckers/blowers) and may perform a little better than the rest but not at a 200-400% premium IMO. And maintenance & parts are expensive.
edit on 10 16 2018 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

edit on 10 16 2018 by DigginFoTroof because: changed def of class d amplifier

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

So now our vacuum cleaners are causing global warming .

Just when you think they can’t come up with anything more ridiculous.

They reached into their bag of stupid and pull something out .

edit on 16-10-2018 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

It's a permanent-magnet synchronous motor.
Hope that helps.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Yeah but a D-class amplifier isn't digital...

Peace

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

It's a permanent-magnet synchronous motor.
Hope that helps.

All electric motors are essentially linear... as in analog.

By digital motor what they mean is that it is PWM controlled... so disingenuous to say the last.

That means that the wiper motor on my car is now magically digital!!!

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Not much...lol

It's a motor, it turns, it's not digital....

"Digital" means data or information being transferred in the form of discrete symbols....and it cleans your floor apparently??

Peace

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: operation mindcrime

Yeah but a D-class amplifier isn't digital...

Peace

Yeah I thought about that after typing it. I should have been more clear about how it functioned but it would have been too long for the reply. It's about as close to a "digital" operation as an amplifier can get though.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

and it cleans your floor apparently??

Bonus but if it doesn't have RGB lighting I aint interested , digital or not.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I have all hardwood floors and you know what I use for a vacuum? A Shop-Vac. About 70 bucks, with at least as much suction as any high-end fancy vacuum and they pick up freaking everything. There is no way in hell I'm paying $400 to $600 for a vacuum.

It cleans your floors? I have a super sophisticated gizmo for that too. It's called a mop.
edit on 16-10-2018 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

I think they are trying to dumb down the jargon for people to understand its newer and better (possibly).

I think they are referring to brushless motors, which are better because no friction equals more power... Also you have to replace the brushes or get a new product after some time.

That explication works fine when you're dealing with contractors selling power tools, but not as much for the layman vacuum consumer. Most people don't do extensive research before getting a vacuum past looking at reviews.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I think they are trying to dumb down the jargon for people to understand its newer and better (possibly).

I think they are referring to brushless motors, which are better because no friction equals more power... Also you have to replace the brushes or get a new product after some time.

That explication works fine when you're dealing with contractors selling power tools, but not as much for the layman vacuum consumer. Most people don't do extensive research before getting a vacuum past looking at reviews.

It's all marketing hype. They are trying to capitalize on popular buzz words to being excitement and "chatter" about their new widget. Calling it digital is a decent compromise to calling it a "PWM controlled BLDC motor" - a "Digital motor" is easier to remember and a fair explination of what it is/does.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I own (inherited actually) an older corded Dyson vacuum cleaner. They cost 400-500 too back in the day but it does work well. No bags, just empty a canister into the rubbish bin and done. They suck literally.

ETA That woman lives in a very dirty house.
edit on 16/10/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

edit on 16/10/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: Reply fix

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I don't wish to alarm any of you that have a female partner but Dyson have just brought out a 450 euro/dollar/pound costing set of hair-curling tongs and some of the ladies are going to go crazy for it. You heard it here first...
edit on 16/10/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   

It basically is a signal processor that switches the power on/off really quickly giving pulses much like a PWM (pulse width modulator) which also allows you to use higher voltages

I like PWM on my synths too

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Just marketing by a company founded by a guy whom had one good idea (He was no viktor schauberger though), was helped to success by his workers whom believed in his company and then he betrayed them by laying them off and moving his company to Asia for cheap labor depriving the town were his factory was formerly based in the UK of the job's it once offered he made this move at a time the company was growing and there was no real need to close the UK operation at all just greed.

So he is just chasing money the motor is not digital but arguably the finances that went into it and the finances that come out of it can be expressed as digital.

It annoy's me too - so does he.

Still I had an old Dyson they were good machine's, except for the plastic base plate which seemed to be designed to wear out from carpet friction - if it had been made to OLD British standards that would never have happened and the base plate may even have been made of stamped steel as it should have been so I suppose that was one kind of inbuilt obsolescence, I have a Numatic cleaner with a bag now, it clean's even what the Dyson did not but yes you have to buy new bag's periodically, still a far better hoover than that Dyson was as impressed as I once was with the Dyson.
Another that is wiping floor with his product's (pun intended) is Shark but they seem to be radically over priced as far as I am concerned.

If you are wondering who Viktor Schauberger was watch these (he was not a NAZI but it is claimed they made use of his invention).

edit on 16-10-2018 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
It sounds cool. The end.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join