It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Roman pagan

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Speak for yourself neigbour.

OP

There might be one or two. I'm a Celtic reconstructionist, so no not a Roman Pagan. But I am a pagan.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: chr0naut
Similarly the pagan Tammuz/Apollo cults came to acquire Christian ideas and it has also been suggested (erroneously) that the timing of Christmas was due to the Saturnalia (which actually kicks off on December 17 in the Julian Calendar).

The birthdate of Sol Invictus being held on December 25th, as decreed by Aurelian, took place in 274AD. Pope Julius I didn't declare an official birthdate for Jesus until the fourth century when he also decided it was on December 25th. Coincidence? I think not.

Actually, good 'ol Constantine wrote of Christmas being on the 25th December (slightly beating Pope Julius 1 to the punch).

However, according to Catholics, the Dec 25th date was calculated as being 16 months from the time that John the Baptist's father, Zechariah, went into the Holiest of Holies in the Temple. On this day it was revealed to him that his wife, Elizabeth, was expecting. The same angel later announced to Mary that she was pregnant and also that her relative Elizabeth was now six months pregnant.

This act of 'going into the Holiest of Holies' was a big thing in the Hebrew faith and was ceremonially performed once annually on the Day of Atonement, or Yom Kippur which falls each year on the 10th day of the Jewish month of Tishrei, which is 9 days after the first day of Rosh Hashanah.

Of course, the Jewish calendar is primarily lunar and so you'd have to look up when when Yom Kippur fell in the first century and than calculate the difference of 6 months and then 9 months (in the Julian calendar). I did it ages ago and can verify that it is December 25th.

So the December 25 date for the birth of Christ is actually encoded there in scripture, quite a while before anyone officially declared the Christmas date.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 04:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghostsinthefog
Hi all.

Was just curious if there are any roman pagans on here. Curious how you got started, books to read etc.

Hopfully there is one out there

I'm not a Roman Pagan. But I have good grasp of ancient Roman religion, because the origin of all ancient religions are amazingly almost similar to one another. Just like animism and Confucianism, Pagan Roman started with "folk religion," or tribal ritual, or ethnic ancestral tradition, or whatever it may be.

Every year Roman celebrate festival of Parentalia to revere their ancestors. Follow by public festival of Feralia, to appease the Manes, or spirits of the dead. You see, there is a legend behind the festival of Feralia. It influences every Roman souls. It is rumored that you cannot worship any gods openly during Feralia. Worshipping had to be done behind close door temple only. Why is it? I would not tell.

Soon after, several Roman figureheads began to found several archaic religions, which you called now as Estrucian Religions. Estrucian Roman began to worship triad gods, such as;

Archaic Triad : Jupiter , Mars , Quirinus .
Capitoline Triad: Jupiter, Juno , Minerva
Plebeian or Aventine Triad: Ceres, Liber , Libera

Sound familiar with Christian's trinity?

That because it is the basis of Triune God, or Trinitism adopted by Christian. The Gentiles Roman and Greek simply could not comprehend with Jews monotheism and culture. They could not accept ONE God is mathematically ONE. Not three. Not Triad gods. Thus, the next 300 years after Jesus' Crucifixion, they struggled to understand God's divinity. Hence, Arianism vs Athanism. And finally the birth of Christianity through Nicene Council whose faith are based on decree, "We believe in Father, Son and Holy Spirit.." I have no interest to argue further with regard to Trinity. So many innocent blood spilled already. So be it.

Later they developed binary triad gods, with each triad gods are paired by their female counterparts, or wives.
Jupiter -Juno
Neptune -Minerva
Mars -Venus
Apollo- Diana
Vulcan -Vesta
Mercury- Ceres

In the years following Greek's myth influence, Something else happen to Jupiter, which the Roman were forced to adopt Imperial Divinity. They exalted above everyone else began to worship Emperor as the living god. As you can see, it was quite normal for Roman-Greeks to make man as their image of god. They made Julius Caesar a god. And they made few other Emperors their gods too.

It is not surprising they made Jesus a god too. A god son.

Thus One God become Godhead or Triune God, logia become theos, word become flesh.

Before we come to that, there are a lot of interesting tales and legends concerning Roman Pagan deities. But this thread isn't about Roman Pagan deities pre-christian. So I leave it be for you to search yourself.
edit on 17-10-2018 by EasternShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 04:05 AM
link   

edit on 17-10-2018 by Damla because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: EasternShadow

I grew up learning about the Greek and Roman gods in school but never heard much about how this started. It seems like society there began as an association of individual cities and each one had its patron god and associated temple. The religion as a whole was formed by just taking the principle god of each city then adding them to the "assembly of gods." The Greek account is interesting where it details the battle between the Titans and Olympians. I'm not sure if the Roman story includes this myth.

In the Hebrew religion, there is mention of a rebellion of Satan and the angels against God. Maybe this corresponds the Greek.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Please post your evidence, mine is easily found.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: toms54
a reply to: EasternShadow

I grew up learning about the Greek and Roman gods in school but never heard much about how this started.

Everything has it's origin. The problem is the truth.

It seems like society there began as an association of individual cities and each one had its patron god and associated temple. The religion as a whole was formed by just taking the principle god of each city then adding them to the "assembly of gods."

That is the truth. But you've missed out a lot of things before you are taught about god(s) existence in those days. There was a time when people do not recognize what god is. Or rather what is Jupiter or Mercury or Mars etc. The only thing they knew and fear is spirits. They recognize some of the spirits are benevolent, as well as malevolent. So how does spirit turn to god? How does Jupiter and the gods arrive? That are the tales you wont learnt from school.

The Greek account is interesting where it details the battle between the Titans and Olympians.

The battle of the titans was an epic no one ever forget. It is said, Mount Olympians shook so hard that people from Indus Valley could hear and inspired to tell the tales in their own way. Hence the battle of gods are also narrated in Hindu Vedas. The differences are names and details.

I'm not sure if the Roman story includes this myth.

The Roman believe the gods are the same but are named differently. For example, Greek's Aphrodite is equal to Roman goddess Venus. Roman adopted many of Greek's mythos. But there are stories exclusively originated by the Roman themselves. For example, the legend of festival of Feralia. It happened when the line between gods and spirits is blurred. A time when few recognize Jupiter as a god. It's a tale beyond Roman gods.

In the Hebrew religion, there is mention of a rebellion of Satan and the angels against God. Maybe this corresponds the Greek.

The Sumerian knows more. They recorded it first in cuneiform tablets before bible ever written. The question is truth or exeggeration?
edit on 17-10-2018 by EasternShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Please post your evidence, mine is easily found.

So is mine:

Luke 1:5-26 mentions that Zechariah went into the temple alone to burn incense, alone, which is significant.

Only on Yom Kippur, was the Temple was cleared of people so that the High Priest could enter the the inner Temple and Holy of Holies without encountering anyone not ceremonially 'clean'.

Zach was told by an angel that his wife was expecting. It also mentions his family heritage, which is one from which a High Priest would be chosen.

Yom Kippur in approximately 3 BC would be September 23 in our calendar. Six months from that date (as per verse 26) the angel appeared to Mary to tell her she was pregnant (this would be March 25th in our calendar). 280 days (normal human gestation) from March 25th is December 25th.

I also vaguely remember reading in the Catholic Encyclopedia that this as the reason for the 25th December Christmas date.

edit on 17/10/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   

As soon as you start mentioning angels this argument goes right down the crapper. I thought you were going to use some historical, epigraphic or numismatic evidence. My mistake.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   

As soon as you start mentioning angels this argument goes right down the crapper. I thought you were going to use some historical, epigraphic or numismatic evidence. My mistake.

The text, which had 1st Century origins, documents the date of conception of John the Baptist and six months later, his relative Jesus, regardless of the invocation of angelic interference, the text clearly contains sufficient detail to identify the dates.

Besides, I'm quite surprised that someone with a masonic moniker would shy away from subjects supernatural.

edit on 17/10/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   
It always seems to come back christianity, although the worship of the Roman pantheon was BC

Im more interested in how to setup a Lararium, and to connect to them

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 02:29 AM
link   

...Our tour of inspection regarding the religious conditions of Christendom has been just as revealing as that which Ezekiel made in the polluted temple of Jehovah in Jerusalem. It has disclosed that Christendom’s house of worship is so infected with demonism and so loaded with the appendages of demonism as to be inseparable from it. This was admitted almost a hundred years ago by one of Christendom’s famous clergymen. In the year 1878 the Roman Catholic prelate, John Cardinal Newman, published his book entitled “Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine.” In this he expressed his belief that the early professed Christians had not been infected with spiritual disease by any adopting into their religious organization the things that had to do with the worship of devilish demons. Accordingly he wrote:

"Confiding then in the power of Christianity to resist the infection of evil, and to transmute the very instruments and appendages of demon-worship to an evangelical use, and feeling also that these usages had originally come from primitive revelations and from the instinct of nature, though they had been corrupted; and that they must invent what they needed, if they did not use what they found; and that they were moreover possessed of the very archetypes, of which paganism attempted the shadows; the rulers of the Church from early times were prepared, should the occasion arise, to adopt, or imitate, or sanction the existing rites and customs of the populace, as well as the philosophy of the educated class."

Proceeding now to show the origin of Christendom’s things, he says:

"The use of temples, and these dedicated to particular saints, and ornamented on occasions with branches of trees; incense, lamps, and candles; votive offerings on recovery from illness; holy water; asylums; holydays and seasons, use of calendars, processions, blessings on the fields; sacerdotal vestments, the tonsure, the ring in marriage, turning to the East, images at a later date, perhaps the ecclesiastical chant, and the [song] Kyrie Eleison [Lord, have mercy], are all of pagan origin, and sanctified by their adoption into the Church."—Pages 355, 371, 373, of the edition of 1881.

Source: Detestable Religious Things over Which to Sigh

Evolution Warps Religious Thinking (1957)

The Roman Catholic Church boasts that she has absorbed much that is related to paganism and demon worship, and she will not choke when swallowing this godless philosophy of the ancient Greeks, as shown on page 172 of the volume Catholic Cabinet: “As Rome absorbed Platonism and Aristotelianism, so will she absorb evolutionary philosophy.”

The Pagan Religious Roots of Evolutionary Philosophies Part 1

Most of the stuff about Plato and Aristotle is in part 2 btw, but it's a playlist, so you'll get there eventually if one clicks that link.
Not that I would use the term "Roman Pagans", but since the subject of "similarities in religion, especially in regards to mythology" was brought up earlier:

One Myth Leads to Another

“LOOK out,” wrote the apostle Paul to Christians living in the latter half of the first century C.E. What was he warning against? “Perhaps there may be someone who will carry you off as his prey through the philosophy and empty deception according to the tradition of men.”​—Colossians 2:8.

Despite Paul’s warning, from the middle of the second century C.E., some Christians began using concepts borrowed from ancient philosophers in order to explain their beliefs. Why? They wanted to be accepted by the educated people of the Roman Empire and thus make more converts.

Justin Martyr, one of the most famous of these Christians, believed that God’s Spokesman had manifested himself to Greek philosophers long before the arrival of Jesus. According to Justin and like-minded teachers, the contribution of philosophy and mythology to Christianity made this form of religion truly universal.

Justin Martyr’s form of Christianity became very successful in gaining converts. However, the adoption of one myth led to the creation of others and produced what is now commonly believed to be Christian doctrine. To expose these myths, compare what the following reference works say with what the Bible actually teaches.

Myth 1: The Soul Is Immortal
Myth 2: The Wicked Suffer in Hell
Myth 4: God Is a Trinity
Myth 5: Mary Is the Mother of God
Myth 6: God Approves of the Use of Images and Icons in Worship
edit on 18-10-2018 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   

The text, which had 1st Century origins, documents...

It doesn't document anything, it's a stand alone anecdote with no other supporting evidence of any kind. I'm not interested in circular arguments where someone uses the Bible to prove the Bible.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Im more interested in how to setup a Lararium,

You mean, you want to setup an Altar dedicated to your own personal household guardian?

Something like this?

and to connect to them

Sorry, can't help you with that.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   

The text, which had 1st Century origins, documents...

It doesn't document anything, it's a stand alone anecdote with no other supporting evidence of any kind. I'm not interested in circular arguments where someone uses the Bible to prove the Bible.

The Bible is a compilation (of anecdotes) and has been extensively cross referenced to other historical documents, events and personages. Not only that, but unlike other such accounts, there is an almost unbroken chain, initially of witnesses and later, of referrers, who have historical validity. The extent and growth of the Christian faith across the world evidences the existence of its foundation just as much as the documents, artworks, statuary and architecture it left.

While there may be components of its account that you may disagree with, the historicity of the text itself is beyond question.

If we were to reject something on the grounds of religious content or affiliation, then there wouldn't be much American history left, let alone in the wider world.

The footer to your posts mentions extraterrestrials. Surely, in reasonable balance, your opinion would have a basis in evidence, huh?

edit on 18/10/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Okay.

ETA: The comment in my sig may be going over your head.

edit on 18-10-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join