It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Roman pagan

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Hi all.

Was just curious if there are any roman pagans on here. Curious how you got started, books to read etc.

Hopfully there is one out there

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghostsinthefog

Naw, we just say no to paganism

We're smart like that ....yea.....
edit on 16-10-2018 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:58 AM
link   

I've heard of Roman Catholics and I have heard of Pagans, but what is a Roman Pagan?

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 03:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

I've heard of Roman Catholics and I have heard of Pagans, but what is a Roman Pagan?

i would assume it is a pagan that follows the roman religion of house gods and larger city, empire gods.

since Rome mostly transfers Greek gods to roman, i would figure an in dept study of Hellenism would suffice to understand roman religion.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormson

i would assume it is a pagan that follows the roman religion of house gods and larger city, empire gods.

since Rome mostly transfers Greek gods to roman, i would figure an in dept study of Hellenism would suffice to understand roman religion.

During the First and early Second Centuries, the Roman military embraced Mithraism (which nominally Persian, however the Romans sort of changed it - a lot). It is thought by some scholars that this was to counter the popular growth of Christianity (with which it had some similarity).

The Romans added much to Mithraism to make it even more similar to Christianity and then claimed that the Christians were just copying the (supposedly) more ancient Mithraism. The thing is that ancient Persian Mithraism also survived at the time and didn't have the "Christian like" elements that Roman Mithraism came to acquire.

Similarly the pagan Tammuz/Apollo cults came to acquire Christian ideas and it has also been suggested (erroneously) that the timing of Christmas was due to the Saturnalia (which actually kicks off on December 17 in the Julian Calendar).

edit on 16/10/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 03:55 AM
link   
you mean mythology? myths are legends. and legends never die. it says so in a song.

edit on 16-10-2018 by Damla because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I don't know much about the God's Romans and Mediterraneans had faith in but I have seen quite a few similarities between Christianity and Norse Paganism.

Tbh I often notice strong similarities in religion, especially in regards to mythology.
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Who's "we" ?

Just curious.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 04:25 AM
link   
You can read FASTI, by Ovid. He goes through the Roman religious calendar day by day (though he doesn't get beyond June). If you get the Loeb edition, there's an English translation on the other side of the page.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

oh, time. sometimes i mishear the songs and it says like 'i am taking back back taking back the tiiimee`

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Bingo !.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Just checking if Augustus answer the call.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

I'm not a Roman Pagan, anyone who's looked into the daily practices of Roman religion would find it's more tedious than most modern religions with the amount of effort and expense involved in acknowledging ones gods.

That is why I sacrifice to Cthulhu, it's quick, it's easy and he doesn't really give a **** either way since he's going to make us all insane and then eat us.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

During the First and early Second Centuries, the Roman military embraced Mithraism (which nominally Persian, however the Romans sort of changed it - a lot). It is thought by some scholars that this was to counter the popular growth of Christianity (with which it had some similarity).

The Romans added much to Mithraism to make it even more similar to Christianity and then claimed that the Christians were just copying the (supposedly) more ancient Mithraism. The thing is that ancient Persian Mithraism also survived at the time and didn't have the "Christian like" elements that Roman Mithraism came to acquire.

Similarly the pagan Tammuz/Apollo cults came to acquire Christian ideas and it has also been suggested (erroneously) that the timing of Christmas was due to the Saturnalia (which actually kicks off on December 17 in the Julian Calendar).

Do you have secular references for any of this?

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990
a reply to: chr0naut

I don't know much about the God's Romans and Mediterraneans had faith in but I have seen quite a few similarities between Christianity and Norse Paganism.

Tbh I often notice strong similarities in religion, especially in regards to mythology.
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Who's "we" ?

Just curious.

There are many similarities between the Germanic religions(includes Norse, Anglo saxons, and mainland Germans) and Christianity. Check out “The Germanization of Early Medieval Christianity” if you’re interested in the topic.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I'm not a Roman Pagan, anyone who's looked into the daily practices of Roman religion would find it's more tedious than most modern religions with the amount of effort and expense involved in acknowledging ones gods.

That is why I sacrifice to Cthulhu, it's quick, it's easy and he doesn't really give a **** either way since he's going to make us all insane and then eat us.

But Roman parties are the best.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

The birthdate of Sol Invictus being held on December 25th, as decreed by Aurelian, took place in 274AD. Pope Julius I didn't declare an official birthdate for Jesus until the fourth century when he also decided it was on December 25th. Coincidence? I think not.

edit on 16-10-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   

But Roman parties are the best.

Especially the Saturnalia.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   
i found a video. it has nice music that goes bling bliing bling. btw jupiter and saturn can take each others places.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   

A. Fomenko New Chronology believes that Christianity was the first religion. He says that most of the others including the Greek and Roman, Egyptian, Judaism and Islam were local adaptations and spinoffs.

This might sound radically different from mainstream understanding because it is. He sees history through a completely different timeline, contending for example, that the middle ages did not exist. The proof that he presents has been branded as pseudoscience by most of academia but is thought provoking nevertheless.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join