It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What percent DNA before you are considered Native American? Question to liberals.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

What has that to do with her DNA results?

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

What does anything you've said to me have to do with her DNA?

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   

What does she have to do with your opinion of how much DNA is required before someone can claim they are Native American? Waiting for your opinion.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

What does she have to do with your opinion of how much DNA is required before someone can claim they are Native American? Waiting for your opinion.

It is up to the tribe to determine that, not you or I.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

I am not asking you to determine it. Just an opinion. Glad to have your opinion on the matter.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I am not asking you to determine it. Just an opinion. Glad to have your opinion on the matter.

Thanks, but y'all should be celebrating diversity not degrading it; as is done on this thread...shameful.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   
By saying we're all 99.99% the same makes me the racist.

Yehyeah!

edit on 15-10-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   
non-sequeter
edit on 110CDT10America/Chicago028101031 by InTheLight because: sequeter at non

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04
I really don't know the answer and couldn't even speculate.

I did some searching around and found a site where someone tried to explain Canadian legal requirements and it's so convoluted and confusing that I'm not sure how anyone could know for certain beyond a certain point, DNA be damned.

Got Status? Indian Status in Canada, Sort of Explained

If the US native bands use the same sort of requirements as the Canadian ones above, I can see why DNA would have zero meaning, because it's all about your known relatives and their legal status.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   

[Humans are 99.9 per cent similar to the person sitting next to us. The rest of those genes tell us everything from our eye colour to whether we're predisposed to certain diseases.]
www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subrosabelow

I did some searching around and found a site where someone tried to explain Canadian legal requirements and it's so convoluted and confusing that I'm not sure how anyone could know for certain beyond a certain point, DNA be damned.

If the US native bands use the same sort of requirements as the Canadian ones above, I can see why DNA would have zero meaning, because it's all about your known relatives and their legal status.

Subjective opinion, and not from the horse's mouth.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Thanks, but y'all should be celebrating diversity not degrading it; as is done on this thread...shameful.

Such a nonsensical post. YOU are degrading diversity by supporting someone who is .09% NA as being "diverse" and non white. I celebrate it, and part of that celebration is calling people out who lie to steal from others.

I have .00000001% black DNA, don't call me white, cuz that's how we celebrate diversity!

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   
After nearly 5 pages, has anyone answered yet?

edit on 15-10-2018 by loam because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: loam
After nearly 5 pages, had anyone answered yet?

Nothing worthy of note.

link   
a reply to: loam

Yes, quite a few. InTheLight is trying to attack everone who answers though.

ETA: And right on queue there they are in the post above mine.
edit on 15-10-2018 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

link   

You should be a politician! Omg your mastery of running circles around a question, and dodging a direct answer is textbook!
Well done senator inthelight

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   

a reply to: loam

Yes, quite a few. InTheLight is trying to attack everone who answers though.

ETA: And right on queue there they are in the post above mine.

I am not attacking, I am trying to have an intellectual discussion. Obviously that it impossible with you and others here. All I am saying is that it is the native American tribe that decides if you are blood or not - not any of you.
edit on 110CDT10America/Chicago036101031 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Well here you are then:

Government of Canada website on Native Status
I couldn't even get the pages to load properly, but perhaps you'll have more luck?

The initial page I posted has links to the government info on which their info is drawn. They are Metis, thus Native, so I trust they have a pretty good handle on what they are saying.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Well here you are then:

Government of Canada website on Native Status
I couldn't even get the pages to load properly, but perhaps you'll have more luck?

The initial page I posted has links to the government info on which their info is drawn. They are Metis, thus Native, so I trust they have a pretty good handle on what they are saying.

I personally know aboriginals and believe me they don't give a rat's ass what the government is doling out.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   

OMG really? Percentage matters?

Legally, it does.

Husband has a letter in his adoption packet from a bio-grand. It says one of his bio-parents has a full-blooded grandparent, but we don't know any more than that. If that letter is accurate, then he's 1/16 and our son is 1/32. According to the US census, they both qualify as mixed race.

Various tribes have different requirements on how they will accept someone on their roles. Some do accept according to percentage. Others need you to have an established ancestor on their roles. Most need you to learn about and embrace your heritage culturally too.

Warren really doesn't meet these requirements. Neither does my husband, but unlike Warren, he doesn't trade on his Native American blood aside from bringing it up as an interesting factoid in conversations like these. She used it to get hired on as a woman of color at Harvard.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join