It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NO ERUPTION' at Mount St. Helens but dust and ash, warning says

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
a reply to: SeaWorthy

"Many believe it's time again for this big girl to blow her top. Locals, yes, but still."

It struck me as implying something like "the locals lack credibility, but still..." In my experience it's not uncommon for people to veil their true meaning in such innocent-sounding turns-of-phrase. And since we're on a public forum, I asked.

I agree completely. The original is a gratuitous comment at best. The "locals" are not stupid; they're not hicks. They are as educated and erudite as anyone else. Further, they went through a horrendous experience. The devastation there is just amazing and the fallout on places that were not directly hit was severe. Pictures don't do it justice. If you haven't seen the area with your own eyes you have no idea what the issue is. It's been nearly 40 years and it still looks like a hydrogen bomb has hit the place. I think "the locals" are entitled to be a bit hyper-sensitive about this and a little more in tune with local events than some elitists from back East who think everything is okay.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I was just up there last month and the surrounding hillsides are still scarred. In some places you can see small drifts of aggregated ash that looks like piled up, wetted BBQ grill ash..

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

Baker looked fantastic today, driving on the Golden Ears..funny because we were taking about it blowing it's top.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join