It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The state of America and the state of ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
A few days ago there was a post about the Republican club where Gavin McInnes was scheduled to give a speech being vandalized. Another piece of the incident not in the original topic title is that after the speech the Proud Boys assaulted several people after the speech. It is unknown if the people they assaulted were the original vandals. The discussion on that topic really bothered me. Let me explain.

The group that vandalized the venue are an extreme left-wing hate group denounced by pretty much everyone including the Democratic party. Their actions should not be defended in any way.

Also, the group that Gavin McInnes leads is also an extreme right-wing hate group denounced by pretty much everyone including the Republican party. Their actions should not be defended in any way.

However, we had people defending both sides of this equation and that is what really bothers me.

I have been a member of this site for 15 years and I have recently returned after a hiatus of many years. I can tell you that defending the extreme is not something that used to happen on this site. Sure, we had heated debates but we all condemned the extremes amongst us. Another thing I have noticed that has changed is that this site used to search for truth, now the truth is undermined. All that seems to matter is one's sense of winning at all costs and the truth be damned.

As a site and a country, this cannot continue. Originally, this site was a place where ideas could be discussed and evaluated on their own merits. Everything was given an honest shot regardless of its political bent, but not now.

I had higher hopes for ATS, but I suppose even ATS isn't immune from the rot that is destroying our great Country. If we no longer share common standards for what is acceptable and what is not then we are doomed. We cannot under any circumstances make excuses for bad actions if those actions are carried out by people on our political sides.

I truly hope that things will change but I am doubtful. It seems that people on this site and elsewhere are too far entrenched into their own silos to willingly give the other side a chance but I still hope. Hope is all I have. Hope is all we have.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I think the political forums should have been canned long ago, but that's just my opinion and I'm sure I'll be roasted for simply having a mind of my own.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

Another one of these? Man, what is it, once a day now?

It must be tough being a centrist and always being the noble voice of reason.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

When I first found this site about 15 years ago, I was a long time lurker, but I was impressed how most were well thought out, polite discourse, and it was amazing to me that I felt like i had found a home.

After many years away, like yourself, i come for some news that i don't really see elsewhere, but i am embarrassed by the majority of the people on here.

Honestly I would no longer miss it if ATS were to go away. In fact it may be for the best.
edit on 15-10-2018 by Rookseven because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Read the title and thought "He's going to get BBQ'd.
You nailed it man. You were missed btw.

link   
a reply to: Fools

Better than being the EXACT problem that you b***h about, like you.

I'm so sick of people like you who had to always be right. Has to always have the last word. You are a sheeple. Go to one of your pro/anti-Trump boards and continue to be part of the problem. But before you do, as I have no interest in interacting with the likes of you, prove me right and get the last word in.

You know you wanna...
edit on 15-10-2018 by Rookseven because: Grammar

link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal
....Originally, this site was a place where ideas could be discussed and evaluated on their own merits. Everything was given an honest shot regardless of its political bent, but not now.

I had higher hopes for ATS, but I suppose even ATS isn't immune from the rot that is destroying our great Country. If we no longer share common standards for what is acceptable and what is not then we are doomed. We cannot under any circumstances make excuses for bad actions if those actions are carried out by people on our political sides.

I truly hope that things will change but I am doubtful. It seems that people on this site and elsewhere are too far entrenched into their own silos to willingly give the other side a chance but I still hope. Hope is all I have. Hope is all we have.

Which is why your voice on these boards is important.

It's interesting you bring up that thread as an example. I knew nothing about Gavin McInnes or the group he leads. But it wouldn't change my opinion about what happened there.

Look forward to you sticking around, I hope.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
It must be tough being a centrist and always being the noble voice of reason.

It smells like vanilla.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
As is the usual response to this type of thread,
The content is member driven, create the content you want to see.
And the political forums are pretty easy to avoid.
The rest of the site is pretty much as it's been, although a lot of familiar faces have long since been lost.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Proud Boys assaulted several people after the speech. It is unknown if the people they assaulted were the original vandals.

I'm a proud boy as well now, with all this mindbending going on.

Where is my paycheck?

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy

Are you saying that there are no conspiracies in politics?
There always have been, and recently things have been heating up.

Besides, the About of ATS specifies:

AboveTopSecret.com is the Internet's largest and most popular discussion board community dedicated to the intelligent exchange of ideas and debate on a wide range of "alternative topics" such as conspiracies, UFO's, paranormal, secret societies, political scandals, new world order, terrorism, and dozens of related topics on current events, politics, and government wrong-doing with poignant commentary from a diverse mix of users from all over the world.

About ATS

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
A wise person once told me you can click on forums at the top and as long as you don't click on a political forum, you can read stories on other topics.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

You're right. It is content driven but when the majority of the content is political banter, it draws in more like minded people, and eventually spills into other forums and threads. Also, it's not just healthy political debate, its nearly all one sided, and full of out right lies, slander, and fallacies.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Your membership has me by a few years....

I can't ever remember a time when topics on ATS were so political. This used to be a fun, conspiracy, aliens, some random government conspiracies mixed with historical lies kind of website.

What happened?
Did we get the Russian troll farms too?

Or is it more important to discuss the same issues all these fake news repeatedly try to broadcast to the masses?

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah. The political boards and the bullsh!t that goes on within them have spread into the other forums, surely you're not that blind.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Well said and good point. There is no objective reasoning or thought on ATS anymore. It's all about winning now.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: havok

Your membership has me by a few years....

I can't ever remember a time when topics on ATS were so political. This used to be a fun, conspiracy, aliens, some random government conspiracies mixed with historical lies kind of website.

What happened?

The Mudpit.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Well said.
Welcome to the future.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   
15 years ago was the height of the Boomers, this is now Millennial territory.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I can tell you that defending the extreme is not something that used to happen on this site. Sure, we had heated debates but we all condemned the extremes amongst us. Another thing I have noticed that has changed is that this site used to search for truth, now the truth is undermined. All that seems to matter is one's sense of winning at all costs and the truth be damned.

All by design. Couldn't have ATS actually denying ignorance and having reasonable and productive discussions about issues when disinfo is the name of the game and divide-and-conquer is the weapon of choice.

I do not, however, think the current crop of partisan ATSers represents the people as a whole. For example:

80% Of Americans Think Political Correctness Is A National Problem

The extremes on both sides are just the loudest and unruliest and get the most attention.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join