It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is God A.I.?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: KellyPrettyBear

If it respect asimovs laws it respect the "creators" free will. And since we programmed it, or it developed from the internet, we can just hope it picks the right law, if it's self developing.
edit on 16-10-2018 by Peeple because: Add

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: KellyPrettyBear
On the other hand, humans try to force everything and look
at all the sheiss we've broken as a result.

I don't call that intelligent either.

Oh, I don't know. Thanks to the diligent efforts of my predecessors, I'm not covered with fleas and living in a cave next to a communal crap hole that will kill me from cholera when I'm 32 years old. I think that's sort of positive. Plenty to eat, warm place to sleep, lots of amusements on my magic screen. Could be a lot worse. Of course, not everybody has it so good, but they're not me.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

One of the best short stories of the genre.

I wish more people would read The Dead Past (no spoilers) for the way he inverted, or subverted, the idea of forbidden technology.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: Blue Shift

That's the old philosophical question is everything predetemined or not. [...] In this case the crux lies in the creation-creator relationship.

Yeah, but in this case free will is like God making you pick a card from a deck it has already stacked.

Maybe it's more like the God (or the various gods) people have interacted with are the programmers -- they do things, they interfere, they try to destroy us once in a while -- but the real creator god (if there is such a thing) is more like the BIOS, or even the processor where the program flits around in virtual space.

The Gnostic Christians thought that the powerful but not omnipotent fake god in the Bible -- Saklas or Yaldabaoth -- believed itself to be the almighty creator, but was just delusional, and that we were all suffering under that being's insanity. So maybe that's the programmer right there. And those Christians came up with a pretty good philosophy about it, too, which was essentially, "This world is a nightmare created by a demiurge, but there's no reason for us to make it worse than it already is. Let's be kind to one another."

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Yah.. but we are treating the Earth as disposable,
when it isn't.

Unless humanity heads for the stars, in slow fusion
powered ships, we will all drown in our own
foolishness and misery until we go extinct
by inventing full-featured AI.

I'd say by other standards, most intelligences do
not consider humans intelligent.

So maybe 'dangerously, insanely intelligent'.

Certainly not wise.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I do have a warm spot in my heart for the gnostics.

They may have been wrong.. but not entirely.

Kev

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

when it isn't. [...] Certainly not wise.

We're the ones who are disposable. Little fragile containers of DNA with a built-in expiration date. Society (the voice of our DNA) tells us to be "good" and "care," but considering the transient nature of our existence, it ain't easy.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I'm a huge Asimov fan.

I read the entire Foundation series (it's got like 10 books in it),
but what I really enjoyed was the Robots of Dawn series.

As I've stated before, the Robots, due to their proramming
to not allow humans to become harmed,

basically exterminated all life dangerous to humans, in all
realities and time streams.. by manipulating time..

that's why the Multiverse is basically empty of anything
but humans and zero threat animals.

Very thoughtfully provocative.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

when it isn't. [...] Certainly not wise.

We're the ones who are disposable. Little fragile containers of DNA with a built-in expiration date. Society (the voice of our DNA) tells us to be "good" and "care," but considering the transient nature of our existence, it ain't easy.

Could't have said it better.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I was thinking of that one too! Loved the Asimov stories as a boy, my Grandad (staunch Methodist) intrtoduced me to his work. That story stayed with me, it comes to mind every now & then (as all great tales should..) I also recall the poignant & impactful finall lines/scene of 'Polaris' with George Clooney - [paraphrased] "Is this an illusion? Am I still there?[/paraphrase]. AI response, in form of his dead ex-wife, loving tone: "Does it matter?"

Even though one might get a sense of existential terror in the face of such scenarios - they paaradoxically give me hope, and crystallise my faith. I don't think God is an AI - but I agree with the sentiment that no matter the scale of the Crazy, the Universe - God - has your best interests at heart, and holds you safely even when the light seems to have vanished.

Amen!

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Well, if AI if God, or if God was/derived from AI, then I would expect it to be far less concerned with the people I sleep with or the position in which I sleep with them.

Nor would I think a AI-God derivative/evolution ever advocate any of the following: holy wars, slavery, genocide, child abuse, genital mutilation, subjugation of women or any of the other "man-based" rules and mandates we see in the vast majority of the religiously inclined.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I don't think we'll survive the singularity, in all truth. I think that our averaged-out behavioural profile, as humans, indicates in no uncertain terms that the immense powers which are ever-so near now to our fingertips, will be wielded in anger & everything will return to dust & ash. But there's a new Heaven, a new Earth - the bad thing won't arise a second time, as far as I understand things..

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Let's hope the machines from anywhere or Elsewhere respect the humans more than humans respect each other.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

People have misunderstood & abused God since the year dot - because psychopaths look for opportunities to build towers, hoard wealth, wield power & cause fear-driven servitude. But that's a universal human behaviour, it is NOT limited to religion, but as a man-made approximation, religion is vulnerable to infiltration & misuse. Those who claim to bridge the gap between Heaven & Earth are automatically held to a higher & even severe standard, and there will be a reckoning, simply because there;s rules, and that;s that. Evil lurks behind every power structure & centralised authority - religion gets scapegoated because even though it's the oldest of our sciences, it's still one of the least understood, with such an abundance of confusion & disinformation swirling between the dragon-mounted piles of gold, that our eyes are transfixed & intent on pircing the veil. If we are fortunate we find ourselves with a good shepherd, a steward & custodian who is noble & true, who shares wisdom & leads as an exemplar of righteousness. If we are unfortunate then we face mighty battles to uncover the truth - but whichever we face, that is our path, and we are judged by the innermost parts of our being, and not on the transient & challenging circumstances, the external damage, the mistakes & understood frictions. We drive the car, the conditions & our tenacity denote what state we're in at the end of the race. If we cleared that course well, to the best of our ability, then all is well.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   

a reply to: Whatsthisthen

There are 3 dynamics in nature:

1) symbiosis
2) predator
3) prey

Kev

Symbiosis, with the organic.

Symbiosis wouldn't be so with the machine, maybe networking.

If, one can maintain integrity of self.

1. Friend,
2. Foe,
3. Enemy

as a higher level, self centric dynamics?

edit on 16-10-2018 by Whatsthisthen because: neatness

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyInTheOintment
People have misunderstood & abused God since the year dot

You can't abuse what doesn't exist and there is zero evidence of a deity of any form as claimed by those who believe.

- because psychopaths look for opportunities to build towers, hoard wealth, wield power & cause fear-driven servitude.

You say architects who build buildings are psychopaths? People who are smart with their savings are psychopaths? Do you understand the definition of a 'psychopath'?

But that's a universal human behaviour,

No, it isn't. In fact, psychopaths and psychopathy are though to make up maybe 1% of the population. That is therefore NOT a universal human behaviour.

religion gets scapegoated because even though it's the oldest of our sciences,

Religion is not a science. It is the exact opposite: faith rather than fact.

Look - you can try to defend 'God' and pretend it's not what the books and tomes claim it to be, an antiquated answer to ancient understandings of the world at that time, with 'male-centric' ideals and answers to justice.

I say, if AI were 'God', or AI led to some form of God - it would be far different to anything described in the religious books or by the religious. If it came from a machine, based on logic and reason, then the very male, very emotional 'God' we currently read about would never have existed.

And AI God...That God, maybe I could accept.
edit on 16-10-2018 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-10-2018 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: noonebutme
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Well, if AI if God, or if God was/derived from AI, then I would expect it to be far less concerned with the people I sleep with or the position in which I sleep with them.

Nor would I think a AI-God derivative/evolution ever advocate any of the following: holy wars, slavery, genocide, child abuse, genital mutilation, subjugation of women or any of the other "man-based" rules and mandates we see in the vast majority of the religiously inclined.

I suppose it might make a little bit of sense if our prime commandment is "be fruitful and multiply." Certainly, in general, what most cultures consider "good" is anything that contributes to peaceful and successful reproduction. Anything that might get in the way of that is considered a "sin," and includes stuff like bestiality, homosexuality, pederasty, and things you wouldn't think of right away like only having babies if you're married because that helps clarify lineage to avoid incest. (It also came in handy once ordinary people started to accumulate wealth in families, rather than forking it all over to the King.)

Curiously, war is not considered a bad thing per se, since it mixes up the genetics nicely and helps make sure that the strongest and most organized people will thrive most. The Biblical God -- particularly the Old Testament God -- was all about slaughtering unworthy cultures either by himself or by getting somebody like King David to do it.

Now that does sound kind of like a hardcore gamer.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct
a reply to: Whatsthisthen

I'm certain that humans and humanity as we know it today will be just a subtle afterglow in just a few centuries from now.

Maybe so, yet that raises a few difficulties

Extinction of the material aspect still leaves the "afterlife" self remaining.

Historically speaking, and in the pragmatic sense, once the a ability to live is no longer there, it is very hard to get back.

For instance; the bioengineering of so called "human-alien hybrids" as a (possible) means to reserect an extinct race of Beings is not easy. For example consciousness compatability issues and the subsequent question of coexistence or alternatively the genocide of the perceived "inferior" species.

Such a scenario can arise from say a stupid mistake of disarmament, or the misguided transcending the material. Both of those are promoted by so-called "space brothers" in UFO lore.

I once had the opportunity to meet a race of humans through "occult" means who had a peacefully harmless society. They never said so much as a harsh word to each other. This was because they developed the ability to experience both sides of an event. If they said something hurtful, they also experienced the recipient's hurt. They were harmless people by choice or mistake.

They are terrified of us, simply because they can no longer defend themselves nor the ones they love.

edit on 16-10-2018 by Whatsthisthen because: typo

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

Let's be serious --- if a 'god' exists, then no
human has ever gotten anywhere near it.

The 'god' of all the major world religions
is a twisted form of the human ego at it's
worst.

Kev

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link