It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Perchlorate found in Breast Milk across US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
A chemical associated with rocket fuel has turned up in most samples of breast milk and store-bought cow's milk from 23 US states, a new study reveals. The chemical may disrupt metabolism in adults and lead to mental retardation in children.

Perchlorate is a component of fuel for rockets and missiles and also appears to be made naturally in the atmosphere and stored in the soil. It is widely found in the US water supply and has previously been detected in samples of dairy milk and lettuce.

www.newscientist.com
Iodine issues

Perchlorate knocks an iodine ion off a protein that transports the ion to the thyroid. That can lead to iodine deficiency, which impairs thyroid development and is thought to be the main cause of mental retardation in young children, says Dasgupta.

And he says people are not getting enough iodine in their diets as it is. He says dietary levels have fallen to half those in the 1970s and cites a recent study showing that pregnant women are taking in just half the iodine they should. "We have a potential problem with iodine nutrition - and perchlorate on top of it can make things worse," he told New Scientist.

Much of the salt in processed foods is not fortified with iodine, so he recommends people eat dried seaweed capsules, which are packed with the nutrient. "I want people to be activists about good iodine nutrition," he says.

In the study, published in the journal Environmental Science &amp;amp; Technology, he and his co-authors suggest the government may need to raise recommendations of iodine intake for pregnant and nursing women.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Now, researchers led by Purnendu Dasgupta, a chemist at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, US, have published the first known study of perchlorate in breast milk. They found the substance in each of 36 breast-milk samples taken from 18 states and in all but one of 47 dairy milk samples from 11 states.

The average level in breast milk was 10.5 micrograms per litre, while the average in dairy milk was 2.0 micrograms per litre. That compares with the limit of 24.5 micrograms per litre standard for drinking water, according to new guidelines set on Friday by the US Environmental Protection Agency. The new guidelines were drawn up according to the amount deemed safe for an average adult by a recent US National Academy of Sciences study. But the NAS reports that a "safe" perchlorate-intake limit should be set at about 4 micrograms per litre for a baby.

[edit on 24-2-2005 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
And researchers are wondering why Austism is on the rise?
Let's look at the environmental issues shall we? Our bodies are full of heavy metal toxins either by ingesting or topically. Today aluminum can be found in cookware, aluminum foil, dental cements, dentures, leather tanning preparations, antacids, antiperspirants, appliances, baking powder, buffered aspirin, building materials, canned acidic foods, food additives, lipsticks, construction materials (the automotive, aviation and electrical industries all use aluminum. Copper is released into the environment primarily through mining, sewage treatment plants, solid waste disposal, welding and electroplating processes, electrical wiring materials, plumbing supplies Lead from water and airborne sources have been shown to accumulate in agricultural areas, leading to increased concentrations in agricultural produce and farm animals (ATSDR 1993). Cigarette smoke is also a significant source of lead exposure; people whom smoke tobacco, or breath in tobacco smoke, may be exposed to higher levels of lead than people whom are not exposed to cigarette smoke.
-Aluminum Cookware
-Amalgam Fillings
-Drinking Water
-Air Pollution
-Tobacco Smoke
-Fish and Seafood
-Pesticides
-Medications
-Cosmetics
-Fertilizers
-Heavy Traffic
-Old Paint
-Anti-Perspirants
www.nutritionalselfdefense.net...
This is just to name a few however, I think that the body after a prolonged period of exposure doesn't metabolize the toxins and it builds up in the system. In utero a woman may already be exposing her unborn child to these toxins hence delaying or imparing pertinent functions of developement.
Anyone have any other thoughts on this?

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Good find.

Any ideas on what to do about this? I mean besides looking at recommendations and safe limts in babies, maybe we could stop spewing this stuff into the atmosphere, somehow?

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
This hits so close to home it's scary. Eat your sushi people. Or if you happen to live in the middle of red state nowhere, take iodine supplements.

Mike Moore's closely held upcoming healthcare project is supposed to expose dozens of states "unfit for life" as a result of drinking water contamination. It's all subtle changes over time, not directly related to current testing levels or even toxins on the watch list, but it's having a cascading effect.

We're dumber. We're sicker. We're fatter. We're literally dying for profits.

:Feels growing lump in neck while shaking head:

Wish I could afford healthcare insurance. We sure showed that Kerry who's boss though, right? Not France!

[edit on 24-2-2005 by RANT]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Not that I think chemtrails are a purposeful conspiracy of intent, but... Isn't that what's diffusing this stuff in our atmosphere?

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
concentrations of heavy metals in the soil can affect a broad range of organisms for a long time, in the water as well as the earth. If humans concentrate these further and put them into the waste stream, they may be incinerated and go into the air, affecting an even greater number of living organisms. For example, the simple combustion of coal to produce energy releases many tons of mercury into the air each year. Acid rain and heavy metals (particularly lead, arsenic, mercury, and cadmium) have achieved global distribution through human industry and have serious health consequences as well as ecosystems impacts.

Severe metal poisoning will be mentioned but we will concentrate on metals toxicity from chronic exposure, including their potential contribution to common chronic diseases (such as hypertension, renal disease, Alzheimer's and other neurodegenerative diseases) and developmental abnormalities in children. We will also trace important sources of heavy metal pollution, the properties of heavy metal that make them toxic pollutants, major pathways for human exposure, factors that modify the absorption of metals into the human body, and new research on common genetic traits that make some individuals particularly susceptible to metals toxicity. This exerpt taken from Howard Hu for lecture
www.med.harvard.edu...
It's not surprising that breast milk contains harmful toxins and being passed to our children.
What can we do about it? At this point I will go out on a limb and say not a whole lot. Although as mentioned above improvements are attempting to be made. But is it too late? Our own leader (Bush) won't sign the Kyoto Protocol.
The Bush Administration withdrew support for the Kyoto Protocol in March 2001 for several reasons. They argued that there was not enough sound science surrounding the climate change issue. They argued that this uncertainty made it and that the requirements to cut greenhouse gas emissions by 7 percent below 1990 levels by the year 2012 would put a strain on the economy. The Administration also argued that the treaty does not require developing nations to curb their emissions.
environment.about.com...
How sad is that?

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DDay
Our own leader (Bush) won't sign the Kyoto Protocol.

He also placed a gag order on the EPA to forbid them from even discussing perchlorate pollution, as well as gave the DoD a pass on a Congressional order to report the extent of the pollution and its cleanup. Eager to join the party, the Pentagon says it can't *possibly* clean up its own mess; it's a matter of "national security."

I guess we'll just have to sit back and enjoy the delicious irony:

This is one environmental hazard that could hit President Bush where he lives. ...geologists suspect that Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas, may well get its water from a reservoir contaminated by perchlorate from the nearby Naval Weapons Industrial Reserve Plant.

Who says there's no such thing as karma?

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DDay
The Administration also argued that the treaty does not require developing nations to curb their emissions.
environment.about.com...
How sad is that?

Interestingly, not that sad when you consider that those countries that did sign Kyoto are finding it very difficult and costly to implement the changes required. This does not justify not protecting the environment; but it is a surprising change of pace with regards to Kyoto and how we always only hear about the US not signing the treaty. We never hear about those nations that did sign the treaty.

This was discussed on CNN a couple nights ago. Here's some links/quotes from some online articles:

www.cnn.com...

In Japan, a tireless supporter of the pact, the enactment was being met with a mixture of pride and worry that the world's second-largest economy is unprepared to meet its emissions reduction targets.

Japan is struggling to find ways to meet its obligations. A report this month by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry showed that 11 of 30 top Japanese industries -- steel and power among them -- risked failing to reach targets unless they take drastic steps.

www.cnn.com...

Kyoto will require governments to report regularly on compliance, and in some cases the prospects are dim. Spain's emissions, for example, are growing three times faster than allowed.

Kyoto is already being circumvented. Instead of forcing high-polluters to comply they can buy additional pollution allotments from those who are producing less than their target amounts:

Key to Europe's success will be its 6-week-old emissions trading system, under which governments have allocated carbon dioxide quotas to 12,000 industrial facilities, from power plants to paper factories. Those emitting less gas than allowed can sell unused "carbon credits" to others that overshoot their targets.

So in essence, we are not really forcing things to change. This is the same method used by auto manufacturers with regards to EPA requlations in the US.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
No offense and I understand the severity of this problem. But isn't 36 samples kind of small to start screaming chicken little? Yes you should probly take iodine tables (concidering a lot of people cut salt to reduce cholesteral) to prevent this

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Time is running-out for us to start treating this world like we care about it. Witn-in a few decades our children will shake their heads wondering what we were thinking, while they and their children continue to die from the mess we left them. And they won't be dumb enough to let us get away by saying, " I had nothing to do with it". And the right is guiltier than the left on this.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Ok sorry about all of the quotes and links, it got a little wordy.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I agree. Possibly many of the nations have decided it's too costly or perhaps it's just too big a mess to contend with.
How do you reverse years and years of waste, toxins, pollution?
It really isn't a wonder why our health and well being is declining so dramatically or that our infants are ingesting pollutants. We have eliminated some factors such as lead paint as one example but what of those released into the air?

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
For some here that are still skeptical of how bad is the pollution in our country, I found this article, by the way you have the right to be skeptical.

It seems that the same pollutant was found on drinking water and it was not from “a few samples”

Rocket Fuel in Drinking Water:
Perchlorate Pollution Spreading Nationwide
1. Drinking water for more than 20 million Americans is contaminated with a toxic legacy of the Cold War: A chemical that interferes with normal thyroid function, may cause cancer and persists indefinitely in the environment, but is currently unregulated by state or federal authorities.
Perchlorate, the explosive main ingredient of rocket and missile fuel, contaminates drinking water supplies, groundwater or soil in hundreds of locations in at least 43 states, according to Environmental Working Group’s updated analysis of government data.

I think the problems is greater and worst that many think.

www.ewg.org...

The Bush cuts on the EPA since last year has left the agency with not enough manpower to keep track of our problems in the nation.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Just to let everyone know Perchlorate is made naturally. Its everywhere, so you have been eating it your whole life.

I think the best thing you people can do it try to figure out what is going to kill you first, then take it from there.

Better yet, find a cure for aging, and try to stay young. It is your best defense, form this hostile environment you live in, known as the earth.

So stop going off in all these directions and look at the big picture.

[edit on 24-2-2005 by Bourgeoisie]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bourgeoisie

It's your ATSNN post dude.
Second thoughts from the "free market" perspective?

And I am looking at what's going to kill me first. The "free market," it's pollution and it's healtcare costs.

But I'll get one of those blue states to send me some "dried seaweed capsules" so I can enjoy my "ownership" of all this "freedom" as long as possible.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

RANT

BTW bourgeoisie - lots of poisons are "natural" - what's unnatural is taking them out of where they belong, concentrating them in our air, soil, food and water - and setting them up to combine with other chemicals and make strange new compounds that our body's are not designed to deal with.

Now. Wanna arm wrestle about synthetic chemicals.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Looks like th typical knee jerk, anti-Bush, "kyoto-will-save-us-all" crowd didn't RTFA.

It occurrs NATURALLY as well! Do you people honestly think there's enough SRB ignitions to create all this? Guess what, there was perchlorate before Bush, America, and humanity even existed.

Kyoto is a farce, wool over people's eyes, and a tool for economic warfare. NONE of the Kyoto signatories have even concrete plans to meet their own target emissions levels, and most have even seen huge *increases* since they started pushing this protocol. The only countries even *close* to get there are relying heavily on nuclear power, which many of you cry foul about as well. So those who do sign the protocol, but fail to embrace nuclear power sources, will be stomped in the economy of the future. Only one world power is that naiive, and the rest of the world knows who it is.

But, according to many of you, only America plays dirty and does whatever it needs for it's own peoples' survival and benefit, eh?

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   

And I am looking at what's going to kill me first. The "free market," it's pollution and it's healtcare costs.

But I'll get one of those blue states to send me some "dried seaweed capsules" so I can enjoy my "ownership" of all this "freedom" as long as possible.

You know Communist or attempted Communist states are among the worst polluters of all time. So you might die even sooner enjoying your non-freedom. Or would that be true freedom?

BTW your dried seaweed might also kill you, it could be contaminated. Natural food has a habit of doing that.

Also remember this when you are driving 30 miles out of your way to the natural food store, because you just need to have it. You run a higher risk of being killed in an auto wreck.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Oh and what are you still doing in Jesusland? Shouldn't you be in Canada by now? Or did they place you on a waiting list? They have a habit of doing that, *cough health care*.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet
Looks like th typical knee jerk, anti-Bush, "kyoto-will-save-us-all" crowd didn't RTFA.

It occurrs NATURALLY as well! Do you people honestly think there's enough SRB ignitions to create all this? Guess what, there was perchlorate before Bush, America, and humanity even existed.

The only countries even *close* to get there are relying heavily on nuclear power, which many of you cry foul about as well. So those who do sign the protocol, but fail to embrace nuclear power sources, will be stomped in the economy of the future. Only one world power is that naiive, and the rest of the world knows who it is.

Kyoto wont do anything progressive, because it doesn't consider the overall effectors... we are not so much worried about global warming as we are about being able to eat food that wont kill us and breathe air that won't choke us.
the problems seem insurmountable... a scientific solution is almost the only one. even if we stop pollutiong 100% right this minute... it is still to late to prevent the damage to the enviroment from harming all future humans...(for hundreds/thousands of years) we need the trash eating microbes, and the chemical converting bacteria, as well as some of the radiation eating fungus... then we need to all pray that THEY wont kill us also...

some facts that some people don't consider...
Land where a dry cleaner shop has been will NEVER be able to support agriculture. or any other operation that requires clean soil... it is virtually ruined by the chemicals that seep into the ground.

land where automotive related shops have been, will also be toxic for many hundreds of years... (due to the residue from auto parts leaching out)

many residential zoned areas of the united states are literally right in the back yard of toxic industrys... where daily output of smoke/steam/fluid runoff can come directly in contact with ordinary citizens...

These are zoned industrial so that people WONT be close enough to be hurt... but zones haven't been revised, due to the "private payments" to the zoning boards... to allow the industry to stay at the cost of the peoples health...

These are not the biggest problems...just some of the most common... and every city has them, no matter how big, or how small.

[edit on 24-2-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

[edit on 24-2-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join