It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where did the universe begin?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee
When the universe began, what was before it???
It cant be nothing because nothing must have started somewhere. Scientists are still trying to solve when the universe began but where did it begin from???

Ive asked myself this many many times and can never come up with an answer!!!

I believe the short answer according to current theory is that the big bang was a result of a collision between two branes in the 11th dimension. The blobs of matter that created the universe as we know it were a product of the resultant vibrations between the branes (membranes).

I know this makes no sense to you, but if you are really curious, study string theory, and ultimately m-theory. If this proves true, (it is quite new), this solves the ultimate problem of the singularity. It appears that this will allow us to punch through the singularity and thus demonstrate that time did in fact exist prior to the big bang.

Edited to add: Sorry, was just sitting down to watch some TV when I realized I didn't specifically answer your question.

"When the universe began, what was before it???".

The answer would appear to be the infinate number of varied membranes in the 11th dimension. We'll see if this proves out, but initially looks very positive.

If you want to know what was before that....the answer seems obvious, but is technically not knowable at this point....one solution at a time.

[edit on 3/1/2005 by Yosemite Sam]

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Nobody will ever know when everything began, its impossible to even try to explain.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   
If space is essentially a vacuum of nothingness, isn't it possible that space already existed and the big bang just populated this space with matter? Just endless emptyness with singularities. I guess on a big enough scale the universe could be considered a singularity, like an atom is so small, but essentially empty space. Maybe I just need more coffee and I'm not getting things.
I'm sure some big brain will mathematically prove where the universe began though.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   

If space is essentially a vacuum of nothingness, isn't it possible that space already existed and the big bang just populated this space with matter?

But what existed before this space you mention???

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
lol
That's what I was thinking... but if space is just nothing, then it can't exist right? So it never was.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrDead
If space is essentially a vacuum of nothingness, isn't it possible that space already existed and the big bang just populated this space with matter? Just endless emptyness with singularities. I guess on a big enough scale the universe could be considered a singularity, like an atom is so small, but essentially empty space. Maybe I just need more coffee and I'm not getting things.
I'm sure some big brain will mathematically prove where the universe began though.

I'm way over my head here, but saying "space is essentially a vacuum of nothingness" is not correct.

I appreciate that trying to understand the concept of 11 different dimensions is at the very least challenging and at worst completely wrong (let alone the concept of parallel universes), but understanding the 5 different string theories and the problems with that model, we now have, with the addition of the 11th dimension, a model that appears to make complete sense again. A lot of work still to be done by the "big brains" but all current signs indicate they are on the right track. Anyway, I digress...

I can't explain this very well at the moment, but my basic understanding of current theory is that space as you percieve it does not exist in and of itself. It is created within the construct of spacetime in the 11th dimension. It is created or destroyed within each particular membrane as that particular brane expands or contracts. If you are interested, there is a documentary on The Science Channel that explains all of this very well in laymans terms that I believe was titled "Parallel Universe".

I also believe that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of a singularity, but I'll save that for another time.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Why did i start this thread?

Its hurting my head now!!!

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I'm not too familiar with string theory, so that's pretty interesting to look into Yoseimete. I looked up some stuff about 11 dimensions and spacetime, and found a NOVA program from PBS about it (I'd watch the one you mentioned but I don't have cable). Anyway, it can be watched online. I'm going to watch it at some point, but just thought I'd share the wealth.
www.pbs.org...
(click watch online on the righthand side, they have 3 episodes, and it's quicktime or realplayer)

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I wish i hadent made this thread. I wanted to know what was here before our universe, but now ive got an extra 20 or so theories to consider!!!

Oohh the pain in my brain!

apc

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I told yah there was no "before"!
Time didnt exist, so Before didnt exist either!
Our brains can't comprehend it so the question is answerless!

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
My brain jumped out and ran away before coz it was sick of thinkin about it!
Oh well!

apc

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Haha. Mine just goes "stop it.... stop it........ stop it!! ... STOP IT!!! ..... OK. FINE. IM OUTTA HERE. PEACE." at which point I hit the floor in spasms.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
glllluurppp bweeerr huuurn dderrr! Brain far too overloaded now.
Time for sleep me thinks!

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I was taught never to think in terms of space and time, but always spacetime.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
MickeyDee, the Universe is everything that has ever existed so it would be all matter and energy. If these change shape or Explode(Big Bang) it's still the Universe. To say Time did not exist at one time and was created is a problem in it self. To be created, there would have to be a before time. But by saying before we are trying to describe a "time" when "time" did not exist. It may sound confusing but makes sense to me.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by xeroG
I was taught never to think in terms of space and time, but always spacetime.

Exactly....thanks to Einstein and his discoveries around Relativity both Special and General.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrDead
I'm not too familiar with string theory, so that's pretty interesting to look into Yoseimete. I looked up some stuff about 11 dimensions and spacetime, and found a NOVA program from PBS about it (I'd watch the one you mentioned but I don't have cable). Anyway, it can be watched online. I'm going to watch it at some point, but just thought I'd share the wealth.
www.pbs.org...
(click watch online on the righthand side, they have 3 episodes, and it's quicktime or realplayer)

Absolutely brilliant stuff MrDead!!!

Just got done watching all three. Fantastic explanations in laymans terms of parts of general relativity, quantum mechanics, string theory, m-theory, multiple dimensions, parallel universes, super symmetry, and....drum roll please....unification....the theory of everything!

Gravitrons, sparticles....man it doesn't get much better then this!!!

Thanks for sharing!!

MickeyDee, you may find your answer towards the middle of the third hour. Depends on your acceptance of m-theory.

[edit on 3/4/2005 by Yosemite Sam]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join