It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where did the universe begin?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
When the universe began, what was before it???
It cant be nothing because nothing must have started somewhere. Scientists are still trying to solve when the universe began but where did it begin from???

Ive asked myself this many many times and can never come up with an answer!!!

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   
well,in my opinion......this is one of the questions we will NEVER....EVER......figure out.....its not easy to question life,or where the universe came from....we will never know....thats the same as asking where do we go when we die...its to impossible to think of a logical answer.....so,with that said, save yourself some time and stop thinking....it's not like your brain will go off one day with an answer.....so leave it at that.........we came from nowhere,and were going nowhere....lifes to short to ask why your alive........so live youngie old,and have fun not worrying.....

i am ameriKa..........(yes im aware i spelled it wrong)

-a stupid punk-

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 03:59 AM
link   
The answer to this specific question is actually very easy to understand. In the Bible, the first book is Genesis and it states "In the beginning God created the Heaven and the Earth" I take this to mean that he created everthing. The reason the scientisits can't find any proof of the beginning or the end of the universe is because there is none. We must have faith in what God says and when he says he created everything it means just that.I have to admit that before I turned my life over to Jesus, I often thought about the title of this thread. The more I thought the more frustrated I got. Then in faith, (which means to me accepting something for fact without actually seeing it) it became clear to me. In the
bible it says he is the Alpha and the Omega the beginning and the end and that pretty much clears the issue up for me.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee
When the universe began, what was before it???
It cant be nothing because nothing must have started somewhere. Scientists are still trying to solve when the universe began but where did it begin from???

Ive asked myself this many many times and can never come up with an answer!!!

Assuming that you believe the "big bang" theory (which IMO does not directly contradict creationism) - there could have been many different things.

It could have stared with an extremely large amount of energy and no mass, from what - who knows. It could have been from a universe similar to what we have no, which collapsed and re-expanded. It really could have been just about anything.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 05:56 AM
link   
The universe began as an executable file!! It was started by the user (sometimes called GOD) pressed Enter/Return.

The universe is a simulation and you and me and everything in the universe is fictional.

This reality is for scientific purposes of the USER (GOD) We are all experiencing time but in reality that time is guided by time slice regulated by crystal frequencies in the biggest computational devise Ever.

This is truth.

We are all living in Vanilla Sky...

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Interesting concept Neon Haze!

But God created the Universe, read the Bible, you Atheists!

It's a more sensible explanation than the Big Bang theory!

But what was before the Universe, and more importantly, what will happen after the Universe?

My head hurts!

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neon Haze
The universe began as an executable file!! It was started by the user (sometimes called GOD) pressed Enter/Return.

The universe is a simulation and you and me and everything in the universe is fictional.

This reality is for scientific purposes of the USER (GOD) We are all experiencing time but in reality that time is guided by time slice regulated by crystal frequencies in the biggest computational devise Ever.

This is truth.

We are all living in Vanilla Sky...

Then whats outside gods computer room?

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
if the universe is nothing but contents of god's harddrive, then earth must be his lil' pr0n folder

apc

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Save the Genesis metaphors for church unless youre actually willing to admit they are simply metaphors...

What was before our universe is irrelivant. What we know as time began with the big bang (or the clashing of a few dimensions if you're into string theory). There was no 'before then' because time did not exist. There is also no point in trying to understand beyond this, because we can't. It would require the ability to process 4-dimensional space (5th being time), and as our brains aren't really even capable of processing 3 dimensions, 4 is far beyond our comprehension.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
If the Universe was created by the big bang(probably started by God) then I guess the Universte began where the center of it is. Since its been expanded it would logically have started in the center.

But this is assuming that the universe itself isnt moving around in the void of nothingness outside of it.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 04:05 AM
link   
But where did the mass of energy come from to make the Big Bang (if there was such a thing, science is an excuse for mankind)?

If the Universe is expanding, when will it stop, and what's around the Universe?

(Websites please!)

apc

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Again there is no point in attempting to determine what was 'before' the beginning of our universe. Not only can our primitive primate brains not comprehend it, but Time itself did not exist, therefore anything that was prior had no effect on the current universe. If however you want to go with the big bang-big crunch theory, there you go. Eventually the universe will stop expanding and shrink back in on itself, likely resulting in another big bang. What's beyond the universe? Nonexistance. The universe includes spacetime itself as well, and beyond the universe there is no spacetime. Many theories suggest the gravity actually warps the universe back on itself like a giant donut, and that if we had a powerful enough telescope we could look beyond the curve back at ourselves.. that is if the universe (and Earth for that matter) was old enough for the light to have travelled that far, which it isnt.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
My explaination is the Universe started in Toledo Ohio.

But seriously This is a great question! The theory that I subscribe to is the meeting of two dimensions, similar to two quivering sheets that touched at a point and that collision was the "Bang." Where it happened is almost incidental but an interesting search.

apc

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Yes I like how multi-dimensional string theory ties nicely with the big bang theory.

E_T

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
There isn't some place where it started... singularity was this whole universe.

Somehow I like this explanation...

No, that little point of matter that was the Big Bang was not a little point of stuff inside an empty universe. It was, in fact, the entire observable universe. There was no "outside" of that point into which it could explode...
There was no empty "space" outside of this point of matter into which it could expand, for all of space was already there, in that little "point." The expansion of the universe is manifested only in the stretching of space itself, perpetually increasing diastnces between distant objects, not in some "empty space" gradually getting filled as matter streams into it. These distances expand in all directions equally, and so cannot be traced back to a single point. If you try to do this, you find that the single point is your telescope, no matter where in the universe you observe from. After all, the "point" in question was all there was of space: the entire observable universe. The Big Bang happened everywhere. It happened right where you are sitting, where the Andreomeda galaxy is now, and in the most distant reaches of the universe. It's just that the reaches of the universe were not quite as distant those many billions of years ago.
curious.astro.cornell.edu...

curious.astro.cornell.edu...

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
If the universe began at the beggining of time, then when did time start? And what was before time?

And if God created the universe, then when was God born/made? And what was before him?

And if aliens made us, where did they come from?

And if we are just a computer software program (like the Matrix), who made the program and what was before them!

I could just go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on!!!

apc

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   

If the universe began at the beggining of time, then when did time start? And what was before time?

If there is no Time, there is no before. As I said there is no point in trying to make sense of this because our brains cannot perceive 5-dimensional spacetime.

And if God created the universe, then when was God born/made? And what was before him?

If you believe in the classical idea of "God" then he/she/it was not born nor made but always was and always will be.

And if aliens made us, where did they come from?

The aliens that made them, perhaps?

And if we are just a computer software program (like the Matrix), who made the program and what was before them!

The architect, duh!

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Simply put, when the first drop of matter fell from the pippette and landed in God's petri dish.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Think of little 2D creatures living on the surface of a balloon, then think about how their universe (the balloon) expands when you inflate the balloon further, everything on the surface of the balloon accelerates away from everything else, but the actual centre is in a dimension they can't percieve... as far as they can tell their universe is just expanding with no centre at all!

Now take put 3D beings on a 12 Dimensional balloon.... there is no centre as such, further back in time everything is just closer and closer together till you reach a point source. As for where that comes from and why it started, there are many different theories, I kind of like the multi-brane theory, where there are lots of universes in higher dimenional space, so Quantum effects happened to create our universe, but there are many of them with different qualities in other dimensions. Or the purpetual universe... where the universe will expand till gravity drags it back to a point, where it'll rebound and expand again... going on forever with no beginning and no end. Though this now seems unlikely with the discovery of an increasing expansion of space. It's something no-one will really be able to master for a long time, if ever. Difficult to test the end of time experimentally...

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Save the Genesis metaphors for church unless youre actually willing to admit they are simply metaphors...

Save the science theories for class unless youre actually willing to admit they are simply THEORIES!!! Let people say what they want, dont go bashing and saying they cant believe what they want because you believe different. Same for the other side. But yes God created the Universe so you are WRONG!!!! hahaah lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join