It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Data Mining Changing Program on the Hand of God.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
There is this show on Amazon called Hand of god and it is pretty good, I liked it anyways and I really want to watch season 3 next year.

Anyways in season 2 you learn that the son of the main character was working on a computer program thingy called Backwater. With this program it is able to mess with data collection. The way it messes with it is when companies data mine the program changes on of the things being collected. For example if you are a male the program changes it to female making the false causing them to throw out the data collected on you because it is false. It is a really cool idea.

Another example is when I searched for a Jeep Wrangle and now all I get is Jeep ads on ATS. idk if that is the same thing but it still ridiculous.

Does anyone know of anything like that in real life because if it doesn't really exist then some programmer should make something like that. I just thought that was an amazing idea.

Oh yea and the creator of the program in the show was going to open source it so anyone could use it... In real life if it exists, I doubt anyone would give it away for free. I guess you never know though.
edit on 14-10-2018 by watchandwait410 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: watchandwait410

Well I've checked search history before and found terms that weren't entered - other than that , no idea what you're talking about

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: DoctorBluechip

Well I've checked search history before and found terms that weren't entered - other than that , no idea what you're talking about

I mean the data mining companies get everything it can from you through the internet. Like your search history, where you live your likes and dislikes, what you eat (if you search for a recipe) and anything else you give away while being on the internet.

The program messes with the data collecting making the things they collect false.

That's as good as I can explain it.
edit on 14-10-2018 by watchandwait410 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchandwait410

originally posted by: DoctorBluechip

I mean the data mining companies get everything it can from you through the internet. Like your search history, where you live your likes and dislikes, what you eat (if you search for a recipe) and anything else you give away while being on the internet.

The program messes with the data collecting making the things they collect false.

That's as good as I can explain it.

I think mine is corrupted. It always just shows ads for male gay pron-sites.
Oh. Wait.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I'm not sure if it is possible to change what the miners are collecting, that seems like it may be a little tough from the client end especially since there can be a number of ways to collect the data, either passively (basically through observation, possibly meta-data collection) or actively by things like direct input into a solicitation site/screen/email. What could be a way to manipulate them to a point of making them almost unuseable would be to have a program that runs on your system when it is idle (not in use) that generates fake searches and fake traffic, so the data collected would be kind of random and not of your making. Given enough time, this data could corrupt the data collectors profile of "you" and maybe they would give up (because it wouldn't be worth the return for advertising that isn't paying off).

new topics

top topics

join