It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trick-or-treaters over 12 could face jail time in Virginia

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I wonder sometimes who comes up with these ideas ? If you are 13 and caught trick or treating you can face 6 months in jail and a fine.. Which means I suppose the kid gets grabbed and the family pays the fine.
Does Virginia have a big gang or crime problem by 13 years olds ?
What a weird world we live in IMO..

youtu.be...

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Depends on what part of the state you're in. Up by me we have one of the largest MS-13 populations in the country and they start recruiting young.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:08 AM
link   

When I hear of issues like this I immediately think this is deep state agenda showing they have the power to take your kids.

Whoever proposed that law, or ordinance or whatever the heck it is needs to be fired. And an investigation needs to take place to find out where insidious proposals like this are truly coming from.

Virginian Parents need to come out swinging against this garbage.
edit on 14-10-2018 by Strate8 because: Spelling

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Depends on what part of the state you're in. Up by me we have one of the largest MS-13 populations in the country and they start recruiting young.

And they steal from the kids?

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

I wasn't going to justify the law in anyway. I was just responding to the question of whether Virginia has a lot of gang members in middle school. Sadly we do.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:12 AM
link   
As someone who has had his property vandalised destructively, presumably for not answering the door on Halloween, I think it's an excellent idea.
And I'm not in the United States, so I'm not under any moral obligation to "treat".

edit on 14-10-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Halloween is a dying American culture. Too many sick people these days tampering with candy. I would never let my kid do trick or treat these days on the street. Just buy the kids candy and have Halloween parties at neighbor Christian homes. Or even Muslim homes these days in America.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:19 AM
link   
It's two cities' ordinance, not state law like you're passing it off as.

Chesapeake, Virginia has an ordinance that states:

“If any person over the age of 12 years shall engage in the activity commonly known as “trick or treat” or any other activity of similar character or nature under any name whatsoever, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine of not less than $25.00 nor more than $100.00 or by confinement in jail for not more than six months or both.”

But, the city’s website is adamant that it won’t be “actively seeking out” violations on these age limits.

Chesapeake, Virginia has an ordinance that states:

“If any person over the age of 12 years shall engage in the activity commonly known as “trick or treat” or any other activity of similar character or nature under any name whatsoever, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine of not less than $25.00 nor more than $100.00 or by confinement in jail for not more than six months or both.”

But, the city’s website is adamant that it won’t be “actively seeking out” violations on these age limits.

They are simply trying to prevent teens from getting into trouble. The city says, “For example, a thirteen year old safely trick or treating with a younger sibling is not going to have any issues. That same child taking pumpkins from porches and smashing them in the street more likely will.”

wgntv.com...

The other is Norfolk. I'd look into this further, but is seems cut & dry in that a group of mixed age kids is not a problem, whereas a large group of teens could be & they're trying to curtail established problems.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I live in the cesspool *cough* melting pot by the swamps, military bases, and universities. Something about the biggest metropolitan area that isn't called a metropolitan area because it's 7 cities, I don't know.

Parents are paranoid here but that's probably anywhere. Some parents drive their kids and their kids friends to "safer" neighborhoods to trick or treat. Then they hit other neighborhoods and stockpile the candy but that's probably most places in the U.S. We actually do have alot of gang activity but the only ones to worry about are the inner city. What you'd called the "suburb" gangs are middle class and live with mom and dad. Regardless the cops and parents make a huge deal out of this even though I can't remember a single horror story in the local news about anyone getting seriously hurt or killed trick or treating.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Vandalism and theft are already crimes.

If the concern is vandalism and theft by trick or treaters then those caught doing that should be caught and prosecuted under existing laws.

A 13 year old trick or treating is NOT a crime!!

Other countries can have whatever circular logic laws they want. Speaking as an American, this is the wrong approach to addressing vandalism.
edit on 14-10-2018 by Strate8 because: Wording

edit on 14-10-2018 by Strate8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I am stoked about the new laws. Kids in my town can only trick or treat till 8 now and can’t be older then 14. All reasonable things.

I’ve literaly had people both guys and girls well into their 40s come trick or treating. I’ve also had kids pounding on the door at 10-11pm, piss off I gotta go to bed.

Plus the already stated sad reality of scum bags accosting kids.

Not from Virginia but our town is trying out a similar by-law
edit on 14-10-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-10-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Come on people you gonna have to show your photo ID to trick or treat? This is ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Halloween is a dying American culture. Too many sick people these days tampering with candy. I would never let my kid do trick or treat these days on the street. Just buy the kids candy and have Halloween parties at neighbor Christian homes. Or even Muslim homes these days in America.

you know thats a myth right there really cant be many people tampering with candy when it was once one guy put needles in candy 18 years ago not really the epic tale of every other pice of candy will kill you ... but that makes a boaring story and wont scare your kids into eating less candy

as for the law well if making children criminals for being to old to be a kid makes you fell safe have at it just glad i dont live there

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
In my world children wish 'Happy Halloween' and get sweets/candy or a few coins, tricks are not part of the deal, it is more a celebration of Allantide from days past.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Snooty ass rich people ruin everything.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   

The law was obviously written by a 12 year old who didn't get enough candy last year.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

HAHAHA this is funny as hell! Almost had my noodle soup come up while reading this. Can’t wait to tell my buddies later while bowling.
There is a joke here somewhere using a “wall” but it’s early and I can’t think of it now.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I never carried any sort of ID until my drivers license at 16. So unless a kid was picked up for some other mischief like egging or TPing a house that would have other charges associated. Plus I used to dress up or not depending on my mood when I took my little sister around while mom passed out candy. Often I was given candy for being a “good older brother” especially by people around town that knew me.

Honestly o would rather older kids, even late teens to college aged, go trick or treating than engage in other malevolent activities.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
I never carried any sort of ID until my drivers license at 16. So unless a kid was picked up for some other mischief like egging or TPing a house that would have other charges associated. Plus I used to dress up or not depending on my mood when I took my little sister around while mom passed out candy. Often I was given candy for being a “good older brother” especially by people around town that knew me.

Honestly o would rather older kids, even late teens to college aged, go trick or treating than engage in other malevolent activities.
Someone gets it^^^^^

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Not much difference between a 12 and a 13 year old. I'm pretty sure that none of them carry identification. So how are they gonna tell? Are the cops going to ask them? Seems pretty funny if you ask me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join