It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flatland

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I don't like how people talk of dimensions as if they have some stand alone physical reality when dimensions are merely a concept for plotting measurements. Dimensions are a concept used to describe an object in reality, so describing something that has fewer dimensions than is possible and saying that is a real object is ridicules.

An actual real object that truly exists must exhibit all the dimensions to be real, there are no actual objects that are only 2 dimensional, or 3 or even 4, they have to have all of them to exist. If it doesn't exist, it has no dimensions to measure. It can't have length and width without depth and duration.

If the analogy of flatland is literally applied to 3-D land to describe 4-D land, it fails IMO, because in order for a 3-D object to actually exist and move around it would need the 4th dimensional characteristic of duration. Therefore to move outside of 3-D land and float around in 4-D land is impossible because in order to exist, you are already in 4-D land by occupying space/time.

This idea of extra-dimensional (or sub-dimensional) beings and objects that exist outside of true physical reality is ridicules. To be intentionally harsh I'll go a step further and characterize that idea as imbecilic.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

You should watch “What the bleep do we know.”
Seems like that is right up your ally!

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 03:57 AM
link   
yes it is funny
we laughed about it in the morning

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

yeah, it says it is all empty. emptiness everywhere. and maybe there is only a point, very very tiny

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Damla

As of recent the message box will not let ya know. You have to actually open it now.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

I would have to admit, my attitude about dimensions makes me out to be a hard core materialist. It's not that I can't believe that there might be some alternate reality where the rules of nature are different than what we have in this reality, but that is an entirely different concept than this idea that things can exist in our space-time without all of the characteristics described by at least the first 4 dimensions.
edit on 14-10-2018 by MichiganSwampBuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 04:44 AM
link   
yes so why should the area calculated by line be any different than a circle. What is the clue here?

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:05 AM
link   
If we go deeper into this concept of dimensions, the current theories claim there are something like 12 or more dimensions. As a measure of reality, the first four measure the volume or area an object occupies in space, it's position relative to other objects in space, and the amount of time it exists while it retains it's form. So, what characteristics are these added dimensions actually measuring?

I'd imagine that most objects have mass and therefore gravitational attraction. There are the other forces of nature at work as well. So what measurable qualities are the 5th or 6th etc. dimensions actually measuring? As a practical matter I'll stick with the first 4 as my measure of reality, it serves me well as I navigate my day to day life.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Measures are, according to many individuals, exaggerated. The truest dimension is obviously just a short trip....
No depth or height or front.
But... we can use excuse to further all affairs.
All dimensions have excuses.......

😬

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:17 AM
link   
When life is short... I don't pray.
I just laugh... Alot.
But not everyone thinks it's funny.

<< 1   >>

join