It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flatland

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I remember back in skool when I asked an algebra teacher or something 'what is a point?'

We were probably plotting on graph paper and stuff.

I vaguely remember wondering what made a point a point. On graph paper you just make a little dot with your pencil and that's a point.

You can make big dots, small dots--they had a size.

There are infinite dotted points in a circle no matter what size. It has no dimension, no size, so it's just a point.

Yah, okies I kinda get it..

And the so-called Flatlanders only see line segments because there's only 2 dimensions.

How the H do you see a line segment?!

Doesn't it have to have some measure-ability, some breadth, to see it?

That line segment has no dimension. So what are those Flatlanders looking at?

I don't get it. I am probably just way too dumb.

edit on 14-10-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:40 AM
link   
It's a thought exercise?

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:41 AM
link   
i understand. we shouldnt talk to apples.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Damla
i understand. we shouldnt talk to apples.

Gotta avoid pomegranates too, b/c aliens don't wear hats.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Flash back starting in....5.4.3.2.1......bye bye

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Recognizing each other in Flatland
One of the ways we can tell each other apart is with our voices. We can tell the voice of people we know and sometimes the voice of different classes. Although this method works most of the time there can always be an imposture so we cannot trust this method. There is better method of felling that is mostly used among us. if we can feel one of the angles of somebody we can usually identify their class after long practice. there is another way that people in the higher class can identify each other and that is by sight. Since there is usually a rich supply of fog objects further away become dimmer. Say, for example you were looking at an pentagon, if you are looking at one point of the pentagon both sides going away from the point you are looking at do not recede at a very steep angle therefore they will not become as hazy so fast as, for example, an isosceles triangle which will recede much faster into the fog because they are at a steeper angle from the point you are looking at so in the same two inches of shape that you see the triangles corners will be hazier than the pentagons because they are further away from you. This would not work of course if there were any irregular figures in Flatland (there are none).

The inhabitants of Flatland
There are many different types of shapes that inhabit flatland, some are higher rankings than others and if they are different shapes, then they are in different positions. I will describe them to you from the lowest position to the highest position.
women: women are the lowest ranking inhabitants in flatland. women are in the shape of a line and they are so skinny that if you are looking straight at one you will probably see nothing and crash into them. to prevent that from happening women have to enter a house from the Eastern side where there is a separate entrance for women. another rule is that women must continually do their peace-cry which is a hum so that people know where she is. In some places there is another law that says that females must continually move their backside from left to right so people know that they are standing there. my advice is to stay away from females because if you happen to run into one you will be stabbed by one of their ends and be destroyed.
soldiers and low class workmen: Flatland soldiers and low class workmen are in the shape of a very pointy isosceles triangle (their bases are usually no more than a half an inch).sometimes the soldiers and low class workmen can hardly be distinguished between women because they are extremely pointed at their vertices.
middle class citizens: Middle class citizens are equilateral triangles It is very rare but possible for an equilateral triangle to be born from isosceles parents, in that case the baby will be taken from his isosceles parents and given a new home with a childless equilateral.
professional men and and gentlemen: Our class of professional men and gentlemen are in the shape of a perfect square or an pentagon.
nobility: The second highest group is the Nobility group which consists of several degrees beginning at hexagons and then increasing the number of sides until they receive the title of polygon.
priests: Priests are polygons that have so many sides that the are considered circles. A priest is the highest possible class that you can achieve in Flatland. It is a law of nature that every male child will have one more side than his father so that each generation will rise closer to becoming nobility and then with enough sides you will become a priest.

The weather and houses in Flatland
The weather in Flatland is very interesting. In Flatland when it rains the rain always comes from the north and goes to the south. There is also a weird attraction to the south that the Flatland inhabitants experience. There is no need for light indoors because the light is the same indoors and out for the Flatland inhabitants. The houses in Flatland are simple pentagon shapes with a northern roof to keep off the rain and a small door on the Eastern side for women and a much larger door on the Western side for men. square and triangular houses are not permitted because their angles are much sharper than those of a pentagon and much more deadly if they are run into.

Flatland Visitor Center

edit on 14-10-2018 by Lysergic because: heh

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

hahaha this is so funny.
they are all made of women.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:59 AM
link   
you have to consider it from a 2d perspective. What we conceive of as a wall, is 3d. But it nonetheless is a block to a specific pathway. Though many of us seem to keep running into walls, hoping that the last 400 times were wrong, and this time we'll get there.

It is a concept. Just as a point is a concept. Has no depth, breadth or width, it is just a concept of a point in space. In time.

We have to draw a point to understand the concept, and we have to understand the concept to get the point.

A flatlander only knows 2d. but their walls, as impossible as they are to us blocklanders, are just as tangible to them as an elevator door is to us. Yet we open that door, and not only move in xy, but now z.

And why you gotta pick on sagans masterpiece? have you no depth????

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:59 AM
link   
wooaa priests are not made of all women

edit on 14-10-2018 by Damla because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

How do I block a background image...

gg stop it though.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 03:02 AM
link   

wooaa priests are not made of all women

Sure they are. They all wear dresses and loads of bling.

Kardashia in Rome, is a .. I mean the Vatican in Rome is a prime example of a load of women all trapped in mens bodies.

... And you just had to edit in that video just after I replied, huh.. lol

edit on 14-10-2018 by Parishna because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Parishna

I guess I can have mercy.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

Lmfao !!

*bows down*

-- though now no one will ever know what the hell I was talking about.. Man you're good at this !!
hehe
edit on 14-10-2018 by Parishna because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 03:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

AWWW I was digging the sunny GIF.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

i felt so special

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 03:23 AM
link   

i felt so special

I’m sure you are still special! If not then welcome to the world that all others reside in.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 03:24 AM
link   

yeaah it didnt last long

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 03:30 AM
link   
... I wish I was special.
But I'm a creep. I'm a weirdooo. what the hell am I doing here?
I don't belong here. I don't belong here ...

damn it, I have a youtube playlist going on in my head.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Parishna
... I wish I was special.
But I'm a creep. I'm a weirdooo. what the hell am I doing here?
I don't belong here. I don't belong here ...

damn it, I have a youtube playlist going on in my head.

BWAHAHAHA nice

I was reading that and bam it hit me! Now I must venture over to the youboob and listen to a certain song.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Damla

Check your inbox dude!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join