It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would be the best state to live in if the US collapses?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Instead of where you would like to be, how about where you would not like to be?

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree
a reply to: Lumenari

Sounds like it'd be relatively easy to protect assets there. Alaska might not be easy but I have enough experience growing up in the wilderness hunting fishing skinning and tanning that I'm pretty sure I could make it just fine pretty much anywhere. Not to mention a few of the nifty tricks I picked up in the marine corps along with fewer people being nutty enough to go into that sort of climate and terrain....

A2D

I've lived in Alaska and northern BC as well.

It could be doable (people have) but as I get older I like a place where the climate will not become an insurmountable enemy later.

I actually picked this area because it was the closest I could find in the US to my favorite place... between 100 Mile House and Williams Lake in BC.

Well, that and it is one of the few places in America where you can buy land that has no covenants. (no zoning).

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Oregon, Minnesota, Washington and Montana spring to mind. They don't have huge populations, the weather is relatively temperate and they have abundant water and food sources.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree
I don't know. I kinda look at it as a competition for resources but also got to keep in mind others will have the same idea. Idaho, Montana, Wyoming all sound nice...but on second thought I imagine they would get flooded with an influx of people on the more populated western states like California Oregon and Washington. I personally would probably head north to Alaska...

A2D

And there is the beauty of where I live.

To get here from the East, you would either have to follow the roads north or south or go over a few mountain ranges that are all Federal or State land. So to get here you also have to go through the bears, wolves, lions and as a city person live through a few hundred mile walk.

To get here from the South on the road, you have to go 90 miles from the nearest population center, following a single two lane highway through a valley that is populated by ranchers that have lived here for generations. The road could be blocked by a single piece of heavy equipment if needed.

Want to get here from the North? 70 miles of a single two-lane highway that brings you over a single bridge that just happens to be the hangout for MOM... the Militia of Montana.

I do agree... accessibility is very important.

Another reason why I would never live in most of the south if TSHTF... too many people too close, no real physical boundaries.

I got to honest I am very jealous right now.
Odd question for ya. I was looking up laws here in Nevada about how many pigs one could own with my lot size. I can have 3. And I was also wanting to use the poo for a generator. Any advice on that?

I think I have given this advice to you before...

Move.

For instance, in this state you can buy land that has no covenants... it is not zoned or a part of a subdivision.

So I can put a bar up in the driveway. start a pig farm in the back, build some apartments and put a strip joint beside the bar with no permits required. I would say add a gun range there too, but I already have a 500 yard one.

So you have to think about how you want to live your life then find a place where you can legally do so.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

You have told me to move before but I still have my job focus here unfortunately. But soon I plan on going back to OK and living on the outskirts. Still zoning laws but I can build on private property and hide it.
Again though any tips on using pig poo for a generator?

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Don’t take this wrong, I love Montana and lived there for sometime, but they do have building codes and zoning ordinances. May be loosely enforced in the more backwater locations but they definitely exist.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
My votes are for:
Alaska, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Pennsylvania, West Virginia.

Worst state? Florida, hands down.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

You have told me to move before but I still have my job focus here unfortunately. But soon I plan on going back to OK and living on the outskirts. Still zoning laws but I can build on private property and hide it.
Again though any tips on using pig poo for a generator?

To be honest, I have never dealt with or thought about it. Power and heat here deal with sun, wood and water pressure.

Trading some of my wine to a Mennonite in exchange for a big ham every fall is the closest I've gotten to pigs since I was a kid.

So sorry...

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Please, please, please do not come to Alaska.

Stay where you are. Stand your ground because if you run, you only make where you flee too weaker.

A bunch of people flooding in, who bring nothing to the table, just use up resources and likely won't survive anyway. If they are too weak to survive where they are, no way would they survive here.

I'd have trouble surviving here and I was raised and taught from the time I was a kid how to survive, hunt, fish and grow food. Heck, most of the people in Anchorage could not make it if the proverbial crap hits the fan.

Most would end up like those silly fools on the reality survival shows, just sitting around waiting for someone to come save them, only nobody would be coming.

Instead of worrying about where to go, learn to survive where you are first. If your in a large city, god help you.

edit on 10/13/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Not a word about Wisconsin?
Water, woods, wildlife, fish, etc.
Nearly zero natural disasters to worry about.

Must come down to where we feel comfortable.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
No disrespect taken, because most people don't know anything about no covenant land here. There isn't a lot of it.

On my property, for instance, the land is deeded by President Calvin Coolidge to the original property owners. That was prior to the county's existence here.

So it is not zoned.

So in my county, I have two permits that are required.

First, if I add another sewage drain field I need a free permit from the county to make sure that it does not interfere with any other water field.

In my case, I own my own mineral rights and water.

Second, if I wanted to build another pond I would need to pay $10 to DNRC so they can come out and make sure that the pond, if it overflowed, would not interfere or impede or damage my neighbor's property.

There are no building codes that apply to me, no electrical permits are required (I live outside of city limits, obviously) and I need no permit to build anything.

Yes, things are getting worse in Montana with the influx of wealthy Washington/Idaho retirees coming into the area and bringing their disease with them.

I'm grandfathered in though, so I don't care.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The money in your wallet will be useless.
Cell phones will not work.
Heating and air conditioning will not work.
Toilets will back up and diseases will spread like wildfire.
Take a vacation from your job and friends ,step out your door and just try living like I just described for three days...
You will be foraging for food and water like everyone else no matter what state your in.
All the domestic animals will be gone in the city by week three.

Extreme hunger will lead to humans hunting humans as an available food supply...cannibalism

I choose the woods right along with Sasquatch....

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Oaktree

Yes, Wisconsin, that is where I'm at now and talking about.

The southern part of the state would feel the effect of a quake since they are part of the new Madrid zone

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Oaktree

Only issue I remember are mosquitoes the size of hummingbirds. Other than that and winter it is lovely.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Stay where you are. Warm climates will be full of ground, air and water diseases, along infestations of hideous flesh eating bacteria.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

We had the absolute worst mosquito outbreak i've ever seen in my life this summer. All the constant rains and flooding didn't help. It wasn't the big mosquitoes either. It was the small flood mosquitos.
The only good news about flood mosquitos is that they normally carry diseases.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The reasons behind the creation of Executive Order 13603 will soon become readily apparent.
You will retain ownership over nothing including food, water, guns, ammunition, your house, your car and even yourself.military will move into take control but they will not move quickly.
The more death there is, the fewer people there will be to control.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: madenusa
The reasons behind the creation of Executive Order 13603 will soon become readily apparent.
You will retain ownership over nothing including food, water, guns, ammunition, your house, your car and even yourself.military will move into take control but they will not move quickly.
The more death there is, the fewer people there will be to control.

Myself and all my neighbors are ex military. Most of our kids are in the military.

If there ever is a point they will get to my little valley I will have died peacefully of old age.

So not on my worry list, thanks.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Missouri for me, not far and an ecosystem I could live off of..

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: madenusa
The money in your wallet will be useless.
Cell phones will not work.
Heating and air conditioning will not work.
Toilets will back up and diseases will spread like wildfire.
Take a vacation from your job and friends ,step out your door and just try living like I just described for three days...
You will be foraging for food and water like everyone else no matter what state your in.
All the domestic animals will be gone in the city by week three.

Extreme hunger will lead to humans hunting humans as an available food supply...cannibalism

I choose the woods right along with Sasquatch....

I don't need money in a SHTF scenario.. I already barter for about anything I need.

I don't need a cell phone or internet connection.

I don't need air conditioning and I have enough wood available to heat the place forever.

I have an artesian spring for water and a septic system. I also am familiar with an outhouse.

I grow my own food.

The deer population here alone outnumbers the humans by about 500 to one. Not including moose, elk, small game, fish and fowl. Or the cattle raised here.

If everything goes to hell, to me it will just mean that the internet is out so I have more free time for crafts.

Y'all have fun with that though.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join