It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would be the best state to live in if the US collapses?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
My mental list of fellow Texans who have no weapons/survival skills is very short.
I do know this one chick that hates guns, but she is a skilled potter.

I used to drive through Texas almost every other week and never came across someone without a gun. I did get harassed by the cops often because of my OU license plate. But it was always in the name of the sport. Gotta say the cops there are easy going and fun to talk to. One threatened me with a ticket if I did that thing that us OU fans do. He said that is worse than giving the finger

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

If western part of the state is that mild might have to look a little harder in that area.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
Kentucky it’s in the top five per capria in gun ownership, it’s centralized in the eastern states, mountains to the east,, red river gorge area in the middle of the state, good places to hide or fight, lots of rivers/lakes for fishing.
And we grow our own tobacco ( along with just about everything else ever planted )and we make our own liquor.

Now that I think about it we sound like the Hank Williams Junior song.

Montana is in the top three, a population of about a million that has about 900,000 registered guns.

So about the same per capita as Libya.... lol

What I like here is the actual gun laws. Concealed carry needs no license outside of city limits, open carry for everyone, concealed carry within city limits you need your local sheriff to sign off for you.

I was in a class once with a Californian who pointed out that our laws are insane.

I told him what was insane was making places that you are not legally allowed to have a gun, so only killers and criminals would have them in that area.

Then we send our kids there and expect them to be safe.

I think if I wasn't a woman he would have hit me he was so pissed off... LOL.

I think that while it is fun to discuss where the best places to live in the US are if the SHTF, most think of it as a theoretical possibility.

What they don't think about is that you NEED TO LIVE THERE before anything odd happens.

To me, where I live just gives me a level of security and peace of mind.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

If western part of the state is that mild might have to look a little harder in that area.

Let me help you... this is how my Dad found the place originally.

Montana Growing Zones

As a comparison, here is the growing zone map for Oklahoma.

Oklahoma Growing Zones

If you notice, there is a valley in Montana that has the same growing zone as Northern Oklahoma (6a)

edit on 13-10-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Montana ranked #1 on surviving the zombie apocalypse.
undeadwalking.com...

Although there is some humor to this list regarding zombies, I think a lot of it could be used for any type of scenario.

Sounds like the folks on ATS are in the know!!

#1 Montana
#2 Texas
#3 Alaska
#8 Oklahoma

edit on 13-10-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I don't know. I kinda look at it as a competition for resources but also got to keep in mind others will have the same idea. Idaho, Montana, Wyoming all sound nice...but on second thought I imagine they would get flooded with an influx of people on the more populated western states like California Oregon and Washington. I personally would probably head north to Alaska...

A2D

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree
I don't know. I kinda look at it as a competition for resources but also got to keep in mind others will have the same idea. Idaho, Montana, Wyoming all sound nice...but on second thought I imagine they would get flooded with an influx of people on the more populated western states like California Oregon and Washington. I personally would probably head north to Alaska...

A2D

And there is the beauty of where I live.

To get here from the East, you would either have to follow the roads north or south or go over a few mountain ranges that are all Federal or State land. So to get here you also have to go through the bears, wolves, lions and as a city person live through a few hundred mile walk.

To get here from the South on the road, you have to go 90 miles from the nearest population center, following a single two lane highway through a valley that is populated by ranchers that have lived here for generations. The road could be blocked by a single piece of heavy equipment if needed.

Want to get here from the North? 70 miles of a single two-lane highway that brings you over a single bridge that just happens to be the hangout for MOM... the Militia of Montana.

I do agree... accessibility is very important.

Another reason why I would never live in most of the south if TSHTF... too many people too close, no real physical boundaries.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
Not Florida, Florida man is scary

Sorry, I totally disagree. IMO Florida is the obvious and best choice.

1. Great weather.
2. Very fertile (citrus fruit rots off of neighborhood trees.)
3. A lot of pure water (a lot of fresh water springs.)
4. Very friendly and heterogeneous (New Yorkers mix with Georgians just fine.)
5. A very high tech culture (NASA, multiple universities, high tech firms.)
6. Hardened infrastructure (required to withstand hurricanes.)
7. A lot of open and undeveloped land, as well as a lot of well-developed cities.
8. A lot of hospitals and medical facilities.

But the NUMBER ONE REASON -- it is just very isolated from the rest of the USA geographically speaking.

Being an enormous peninsula, Florida has a lot of access to the sea and limited access to the rest of the USA -- so I would think that would work in your favor to disassociate yourself as much as possible from the rest of the USA. Fewer borders means less conflict with neighboring states. If necessary, you could migrate down to the Florida keys, or take an easy boat trip to Mexico or Latin America or the Caribbean. You have an enormous escape route via the sea.

And Florida beaches are the best too.

Florida -- it is very easy living there, and that will be important in a time of extreme stress.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Sounds like it'd be relatively easy to protect assets there. Alaska might not be easy but I have enough experience growing up in the wilderness hunting fishing skinning and tanning that I'm pretty sure I could make it just fine pretty much anywhere. Not to mention a few of the nifty tricks I picked up in the marine corps along with fewer people being nutty enough to go into that sort of climate and terrain....

A2D
edit on 13-10-2018 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree

A2D

And there is the beauty of where I live.

To get here from the East, you would either have to follow the roads north or south or go over a few mountain ranges that are all Federal or State land. So to get here you also have to go through the bears, wolves, lions and as a city person live through a few hundred mile walk.

To get here from the South on the road, you have to go 90 miles from the nearest population center, following a single two lane highway through a valley that is populated by ranchers that have lived here for generations. The road could be blocked by a single piece of heavy equipment if needed.

Want to get here from the North? 70 miles of a single two-lane highway that brings you over a single bridge that just happens to be the hangout for MOM... the Militia of Montana.

I do agree... accessibility is very important.

Another reason why I would never live in most of the south if TSHTF... too many people too close, no real physical boundaries.

I got to honest I am very jealous right now.
Odd question for ya. I was looking up laws here in Nevada about how many pigs one could own with my lot size. I can have 3. And I was also wanting to use the poo for a generator. Any advice on that?

link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

originally posted by: skunkape23
My mental list of fellow Texans who have no weapons/survival skills is very short.
I do know this one chick that hates guns, but she is a skilled potter.

I used to drive through Texas almost every other week and never came across someone without a gun. I did get harassed by the cops often because of my OU license plate. But it was always in the name of the sport. Gotta say the cops there are easy going and fun to talk to. One threatened me with a ticket if I did that thing that us OU fans do. He said that is worse than giving the finger
Ride in a schooner pulled by two white ponies?

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

No but that would be awesome. Assuming I didn’t get shot first!

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Oh there is a book that breaks down each state by land type, laws, population density... name escapes me at the moment and its with my other books on a boat from Europe right now.

ETA: the book tries to rate each state by survivability in the event of a catastrophic break down.
edit on 13-10-2018 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: PassiveInductor

I love Florida and lived there for a while, and agree with most of the positives you have listed.

The number one reason it wouldn't be Florida is because we know that is where all the crazies live, and that is where all the crazies will go if the SHTF. The other reason, it the population density is just too high per square mile. I would put money that it would be much much higher if something happened. It's just too many people.

Also, living in Florida without air conditioning (if the grid went out) sounds absolutely horrible.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
If you been to any inner city recently, it is already happening. Slowly, but surely. So, yes, when the inner cities completely fall into one big cesspool of drunken and drugged up derilicts, that is when one realizes the time to escape, but it maybe too late. Sadly I see the decay of the inner cities a threat to the stability of the American Dream.

derilict :a person abandoned by society, especially a person without a permanent home and means of support; vagrant; bum.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Sounds like if you don't already live in Montana, don't come a knocking when stuff happens.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

If you been to any inner city recently, it is already happening. Slowly, but surely. So, yes, when the inner cities completely fall into one big cesspool of drunken and drugged up derilicts

I made a wrong turn in Orlando. I ended up on this dead end street. It was filled with homeless people all drugged and drunked out. It looked like a scene from the apocalypse. I will never forget seeing a naked man with no legs just hanging over the curb of the street. It was horrible and real. There must have been around 100 of them or so. I know if our Florida town, the homeless people actually had a homeless "mayor". Sounds crazy, but they actually were somewhat organized. Who knows, maybe they will be the only ones that end up surviving!

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Sounds like if you don't already live in Montana, don't come a knocking when stuff happens.

Trust me I won’t. I already have plans in place for when that happens. I’ve been planning for that since I was 18. But if I did decide to head that way, I will not come begging.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: PassiveInductor
The number one reason it wouldn't be Florida is because we know that is where all the crazies live, and that is where all the crazies will go if the SHTF.

Well -- yes -- I guess there is that to consider too. You are not wrong there.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

originally posted by: M5xaz
a reply to: JAGStorm

"What would be the best state to live in if the US collapses? "

State of Intoxication .... better start drinking....

HAHA I like that response!

Practice drinking now...and often..."Just getting prep'ed for doomsday, dear"....wife'll buy that story...sure...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join