It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I saw a Man with a Tat on His Big Fat Belly it Wiggled Around Like Marmalade Jelly

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Proverbs 16:27-30

27 A worthless man digs up what is bad;

His speech is like a scorching fire.

28 A troublemaker* causes dissension, [*: Or “A schemer.”]

And a slanderer separates close friends.

29 A violent man entices his neighbor

And leads him in the wrong way.

30 He winks his eye as he schemes harm.

He pinches his lips together as he carries out mischief.

Proverbs 16:12-19

12 A useless and wicked man walks about with crooked speech;

13 He winks with his eye, signals with his foot, and motions with his fingers.

14 With a perverted heart,

He is always scheming evil and spreading contentions.

15 Therefore, his disaster will come suddenly;

In a moment he will be broken beyond healing.

16 There are six things that Jehovah hates;

Yes, seven things that he* [Or “his soul.”] detests:

17 Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

18 A heart plotting wicked schemes, and feet that run quickly to evil,

19 A false witness who lies with every breath,

And anyone sowing contentions among brothers.

Proverbs 29:1

A man who stiffens his neck* after much reproof [*: Or “who remains stubborn.”]

Will suddenly be broken beyond healing.

That's because stiff necks don't bend, they break.

Neutrality: Reasoning From the Scriptures

Definition: The position of those who do not take sides with or give support to either of two or more contending parties. It is a fact of ancient and modern-day history that in every nation and under all circumstances true Christians have endeavored to maintain complete neutrality as to conflicts between factions of the world. They do not interfere with what others do about sharing in patriotic ceremonies, serving in the armed forces, joining a political party, running for a political office, or voting. But they themselves worship only Jehovah, the God of the Bible; they have dedicated their lives unreservedly to him and give their full support to his Kingdom.
What scriptures have always had a bearing on the attitude of true Christians toward participation in carnal warfare?

Matt. 26:52: “Jesus said to him: ‘Return your sword to its place, for all those who take the sword will perish by the sword.’” (Could there have been any higher cause for which to fight than to safeguard the Son of God? Yet, Jesus here indicated that those disciples were not to resort to weapons of physical warfare.)

Isa. 2:2-4: “It must occur in the final part of the days that the mountain of the house of Jehovah will become firmly established above the top of the mountains . . . And he will certainly render judgment among the nations and set matters straight respecting many peoples. And they will have to beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning shears. Nation will not lift up sword against nation, neither will they learn war anymore.” (Individuals out of all nations must personally decide what course they will pursue. Those who have heeded Jehovah’s judgment give evidence that he is their God.)

2 Cor. 10:3, 4: “Though we walk in the flesh, we do not wage warfare according to what we are in the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not fleshly, but powerful by God for overturning strongly entrenched things.” (Paul here states that he never resorted to fleshly weapons, such as trickery, high-sounding language, or carnal weapons, to protect the congregation against false teachings.)

Luke 6:27, 28: “I [Jesus Christ] say to you who are listening, Continue to love your enemies, to do good to those hating you, to bless those cursing you, to pray for those who are insulting you.”

Is it not true that Jehovah allowed ancient Israel to engage in warfare?
In the Law covenant God laid down rules for warfare that he would approve, stipulating exemptions and the manner in which this warfare was to be carried out. Such were truly holy wars of Jehovah. That is not true of the carnal warfare of any nation today.
What scriptures have always had a bearing on the attitude of true Christians toward involvement in political issues and activities?

John 17:16: “They are no part of the world, just as I [Jesus] am no part of the world.”

John 6:15: ...

Jas. 4:4: ...

James 3:11-18

A spring does not cause the fresh* [Lit., “sweet.”] water and the bitter water to bubble out of the same opening, does it? 12 My brothers, a fig tree cannot produce olives, or a grapevine figs, can it? Neither can salt water produce fresh water.

13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him by his fine conduct demonstrate works performed with a mildness that comes from wisdom. 14 But if you have bitter jealousy and contentiousness* [Or possibly, “selfish ambition.”] in your hearts, do not be bragging and lying against the truth. 15 This is not the wisdom that comes down from above; it is earthly, animalistic, demonic. 16 For wherever there are jealousy and contentiousness,* there will also be disorder and every vile thing.

17 But the wisdom from above is first of all pure, then peaceable, reasonable, ready to obey, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial, not hypocritical. 18 Moreover, the fruit of righteousness is sown in peaceful conditions for* those who are making peace. [*: Or possibly, “by.”]

There are many more relevant verses that one could quote about this particular subject or in response to the question "What is Christian?" For example the one quoted in the first video after my quotation of 2 Cor. 10:3 (1 Cor. 13:8) is also quite relevant to the same subject. The video entitled: "Song 25 Proof of Discipleship vocals" (which contains a bunch more, I highly recommend them even for those allergic to Scripture when it doesn't suit their needs, desires, or fit that well with their opinions and favored ideologies and doctrines; or for those with demonstrated allergies to what secular history discloses about the attitude of early Christians in regards to serving in the armed forces or political involvement for that matter, when it is compatible with and based on bible teachings and contrary to their own preference).
edit on 17-10-2018 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Talk about the Pot calling the Kettle black!

JW's wrongly interprets and apply the Holy Scriptures and in your hypocrisy you want to call another in error while your error is stiff in your face.

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: whereislogic
a reply to: ChesterJohn
Please stop pretending you didn't notice I was referring to my quotation of 2 Cor.10:3 which that comment was a follow-up about adding some historical facts about early Christians (or self-professed Christians), since you also felt the need to go on and on about 2 Cor.10:3 to make it fit your opinion about military service and it makes you appear deliberately dishonest to me, you clearly did notice that I was referring to that verse when I said:

... my first comment about it quoted just the relevant bible verse that literally states "we are not doing military service" (Latin: non . . . mi·li·taʹmus).

Even if our warfare (or military service) is spiritual instead. The context isn't changing the fact that "we are not doing military service[/do not wage warfare] according to what we are in the flesh".

Now that, is Christian (behaviour), as per the question I was responding to when StallionDuck asked "What is Christian?"

You also said:

Actually there is not a single Bible verse of any version in the whole post.

And besides the fact that it's clear that the post you quoted following that statement was not "my first comment about it", you were wrong about that one as well. In the post you quoted there are bible verses quoted at the end. So eager to paint pictures, that you can't even be bothered to read to the end and get your attempts to discredit right. Or just doing it on purpose to get the type of response you want about it.
you take a spiritual Doctrine and make it a physical doctrine that is a PRIVATE INTERPRETATION which is condemned. Again you show your knowledge of private interpretation of the JW's AWAKE and WATCHTOWER Publications by taking 2Cor 10:3 out of CONTEXT and made a private interpretation. And you show you cannot rightly divide the word of truth nor can you without JW's Study type to properly study the word of God.

2Pe 1:19 ¶ We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
2Ti 2:14 ¶ Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
2Ti 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Again here is your post and not one Bible verse in it You give addresses which many will not even look but I do and Matthew is outo f context, Christ was not crucified and was not yet made a sacrifice for sin.

Early Christians refused to serve in the Roman army, in both the legions and auxilia, considering such service as wholly incompatible with the teachings of Christianity. Says Justin Martyr, of the second century C.E., in his “Dialogue With Trypho, a Jew” (CX): “We who were filled with war, and mutual slaughter, and every wickedness, have each through the whole earth changed our warlike weapons,​—our swords into ploughshares, and our spears into implements of tillage.” (The Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol. I, p. 254) In his treatise “The Chaplet, or De Corona” (XI), when discussing “whether warfare is proper at all for Christians,” Tertullian (c. 200 C.E.) argued from Scripture the unlawfulness even of a military life itself, concluding, “I banish from us the military life.”​—The Ante-Nicene Fathers, 1957, Vol. III, pp. 99, 100.

Early Christians celebrated no state holidays and refused all military service. “A careful review of all the information available goes to show that, until the time of Marcus Aurelius [121-180 C.E.], no Christian became a soldier; and no soldier, after becoming a Christian, remained in military service.” (The Rise of Christianity, by E. W. Barnes, 1947, p. 333) “It will be seen presently that the evidence for the existence of a single Christian soldier between 60 and about 165 A.D. is exceedingly slight; . . . up to the reign of Marcus Aurelius at least, no Christian would become a soldier after his baptism.” (The Early Church and the World, by C. J. Cadoux, 1955, pp. 275, 276) “In the second century, Christianity . . . had affirmed the incompatibility of military service with Christianity.” (A Short History of Rome, by G. Ferrero and C. Barbagallo, 1919, p. 382) “The behavior of the Christians was very different from that of the Romans. . . . Since Christ had preached peace, they refused to become soldiers.” (Our World Through the Ages, by N. Platt and M. J. Drummond, 1961, p. 125) “The first Christians thought it was wrong to fight, and would not serve in the army even when the Empire needed soldiers.” (The New World’s Foundations in the Old, by R. and W. M. West, 1929, p. 131) “The Christians . . . shrank from public office and military service.” (Editorial introduction to “Persecution of the Christians in Gaul, A.D. 177,” in The Great Events by Famous Historians, edited by R. Johnson, 1905, Vol. III, p. 246) “While they [the Christians] inculcated the maxims of passive obedience, they refused to take any active part in the civil administration or the military defence of the empire. . . . It was impossible that the Christians, without renouncing a more sacred duty, could assume the character of soldiers, of magistrates, or of princes.”​—The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, by Edward Gibbon, Vol. I, p. 416. In the modern-day US, that would be the equivalent of soldiers, senators and presidents, for example (or governors, mayors, etc.).

Regarding the early Christians and military service, German theologian Peter Meinhold said: “Being a Christian and a soldier was considered irreconcilable.” In his essay “An Inquiry Into the Accordancy of War With the Principles of Christianity,” religion writer Jonathan Dymond wrote that for some time after the death of Jesus, His followers “refused to engage in [war]; whatever were the consequences, whether reproach, or imprisonment, or death.” Dymond added: “These facts are indisputable.” Only when “Christianity became corrupted,” said another writer, did Christians become soldiers.

What is legally called "conscientious objection" (refusing military service) demonstrates true love of both 'neighbor' and enemy (Matthew 5:43-45). Not blessing soldiers, armies and weapons, or teaching that military service is compatible with Christianity.

here is a verse you deny and so does JW's Awake and Watchtower, that Jesus Christ was made a sacrifice for sin.

Isa 53:10 ¶ Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.
12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

edit on 28-10-2018 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Real Americans read the 1560 Geneva.

Real Christians learn other languages.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   

a reply to: StallionDuck
Or cherry-picking scriptures to make a lame point (out of context) that still doesn't contradict 2 Corinthians 10:3 even if taken out of context.

Pardon if the word "lame" sounds offensive, that's just how it appears to me and the reason I don't want to do another detailed response to the verse you quoted. The excuses to teach that military service is compatible with Christianity are plenty. None of the subtle twists of Scripture or twisted logic in argumentation is going to negate what God's word literally and clearly states at 2 Cor.10:3. Or any of the other verses quoted in the videos that are avoided by those responding about this subject it seems.

Seems I can use your argument to counter your argument. It can go either way. I was simply asking a question to something that perplexed me. I wasn't using it to conflict your response but now, why not.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Prene
Real Americans read the 1560 Geneva.

Real Christians learn other languages.

Saved people read the inspired preserved word of God in English and believe every word in it literally.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   

a reply to: StallionDuck
Or cherry-picking scriptures to make a lame point (out of context) that still doesn't contradict 2 Corinthians 10:3 even if taken out of context.

Pardon if the word "lame" sounds offensive, that's just how it appears to me and the reason I don't want to do another detailed response to the verse you quoted. The excuses to teach that military service is compatible with Christianity are plenty. None of the subtle twists of Scripture or twisted logic in argumentation is going to negate what God's word literally and clearly states at 2 Cor.10:3. Or any of the other verses quoted in the videos that are avoided by those responding about this subject it seems.

Ok here is the context of 2 Cor 10:3 and as anyone who can read English can see Paul is speaking of a SPIRITUAL BATTLE and it cannot be fought by the weapons of this world.

2Cor 10:2 But I beseech you, that I may not be bold when I am present with that confidence, wherewith I think to be bold against some, which think of us as if we walked according to the flesh.
3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
Not talking about real physical wars or battles.

1Cor 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds

5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.
Verse 4 is very clear, just look at the words. Weapon are not Carnal, therefore they are spiritual, strong enough to pull down strongholds not physical by the context. These spiritual weapons cast down IMAGINATIONS, and things that exalt themselves against the KNOWLEDGE of God. Interesting knowledge is not physical but mental and spiritual. Oh and bringing into captivity THOUGHTS, which are also not physical but mental and spiritual. While disobedience can be acted in the flesh but it is not saying that it is say that God will revenge or avenge disobedience when full obedience is fulfilled and that wont take place until the body of Christ, the church, is gathered unto Jesus in the clouds ever more to be with him (1Thess 4:17).

You see just looking at the words that surround 1Cor 10:3 tells us this verse is not speaking about not joining the military and any Early Gnostic Christians or Roman Catholics, or even Jehovah Witnesses/AWAKE/WATCHTOWER who would use such Verse out of context to teach such are PRIVATELY INTERPRETING the scriptures twisting them to their own destruction SPIRITUALLY.

I am still waiting for you to really do your won study by putting aside the J W nonsense and do a real study just using the AV Bible, I will read it with baited breath but unfortunately you're to brainwashed to save yourself from the destruction you have entered into. I would imagine you were born into a family of J W's and that is the hardest to come out of and lay hold of the truth that is in Christ Jesus and let him save your soul from hell.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join