It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Al-Qaeda in Disarray on Afghan Border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
According to Pakistani President Musharraf, Pakistani forces have disrupted Al-Qaeda sanctuaries and communications along the Afghanistan/Pakistan border. Musharraf states that his forces were responsible for the capture of 700 terrorists and extremist and "eliminated" hundreds also around the country. The whereabouts of high level Al-Qaeda members such as Bin Laden and Al-Zawahiri are still unknown.

ap.tbo.com
"We have broken their communication system. We have destroyed their sanctuaries," Musharraf said of militants fighting in the lawless South Waziristan region.

"Now some of them are hiding in mountains. They are not in a position to move in vehicles and go to Lahore or Karachi," he said, referring to two major cities. "They are unable to contact their people. ... They are on the run, we will keep chasing them and we have to eliminate them."

"I'm not saying we have achieved a 100 percent success, but this is definitely a success in the war against terrorism," he added.

Musharraf said this month's launch of U.S. government-funded advertisements on Pakistani television and radio - offering multimillion-dollar rewards for bin Laden and other top terror suspects - did not mean they had information about the al-Qaida leader's whereabouts.

"Neither they (the Americans) nor we know they are here," he said of the al-Qaida leaders.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Pakistan is walking a fine line between trying to appease the US and it's own people. President Musharraf's timing of this announcement closely follows reports of orders being issued to Pakistani troops to shoot at US troops coming across the Afghan border without authorization and coordination with their military.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Can't they just drop concussion bombs all around there?? ?

The more they do that the more they can zero in on em...

[edit on 24-2-2005 by TrueLies]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Funny just on another thread they were warning about shooting Americans across the border.

Now it seems they were shooting Al-qaida members, I am confused here, the Pakistani leader is indeed walking on a fine line.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Why is that unusual? The Pakistanis will defend their border, regardless of who is illegally crossing it.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Hooray for them
A country defending it's own borders? What a surprise!

I would expect such an order. If there was any doubt as to the authenticity of individuals crossing my borders, whether or not they were wearing US uniforms, I'd act. Any legitimate US op will be coordinated with local command anyways. Unless there's a total charlie-foxtrot, but that happens anyways.

Last thing we need is the terrorists to start using captured US materiel to infiltrate then get us blamed for their activities. There's enough worldwide blame already.

new topics

top topics

join