It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sears stores closing

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Yeah yeah, I know free market but it still makes me sad that Sears is going to go away.
They have been an American staple for 125 years! First Woolworths and now Sears. Truly two staples of my childhood.

It's the only store that I remember my grandmother buying clothes from. I think for most Americans, there is a sense of nostalgia with Sears (at least the old version of Sears)
I remember when Craftsman was truly a name of quality. I'm not sure exactly when they started slipping.
I thought they were trying to reinvigorate their brand sometime in the early 2000s.

I do know why they are closing. Their quality has been lacking, and their customer service basically evaporated. In addition they didn't keep up with the times and the online buying trends.
My last time in the store was 2014. I was buying a pair of shoes. The store was gigantic, yet we could not find a single worker.
We weren't alone, several other customers wandered around the shoe and clothing area and there just wasn't anyone to help or even check us out.
Several people just put the stuff back and left. You really can't make money if you don't sell anything.

www.smithsonianmag.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Kind of a bummer.
But their power tools have been crap for 20 years and the prices were to high for their junk.

They didn't adapt to market changes. End of story.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The future is online...

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
They quit selling guns.

Seriously, Santa shopped at Sears. We'd go through the catalogue and circle what we wanted to ask Santa for. We drove to the pavement, then on to the big city, Every August to get school clothes. And in march to get news suits/dresses for Easter.

We got the Atari "pong" at sears. First video game.

Sears also specialized in work gear. Uniforms, work boots, cold weather coveralls... up to and including skis. They also sold everything for fishing and water-skiing, including the boat!

Amazon so much better tho, right?

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   
And yet they did put their catalogue online. It seemed like not enough people knew that.
Returns were easy at the small town catalogue outlets, if the product wasn’t right.

But yeah, their stores did go downhill, and so did their tool warranty

I miss them and their Xmas catalogue...

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Ya well their products have been crap and the service sucks. Glad to see those overpriced bastards go. Now we can hopefully get a good store to rent out those spaces.

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Actually they did, made in China...

But marketing strategy and poor corporate decisions put them there. Such as not standing behind the Craftsman brand like in the past. But they are not the only company to fail to properly plan to market changes and technologies.

Kodak is still around, but have you seen any of their products lately?

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Sears like many retailers made wrong strategic moves and will now be in the dustbin of large dominate corporations that failed. Just remember this one example when you hear people talking about evil corporations as if they never fail and are all powerful.

Sears was what Amazon is today before the internet. They failed to move online quick enough and were too heavily invested in real estate and retail stores. Product mix lost favor with consumers.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
All they had to do was offer groceries & charge people to shop there, like Costco.

They dabbled in almost everything and specialized in nothing. They got picked apart; looted by their competitors.
edit on 5035x6750America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago10 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Yep, it's a sad day. The loss of a true American icon.

I've just been waiting for it to happen, it was inevitable. I knew when their website started carrying items that were from other retailers than Sears that the end was near. Going to their website was like going to Google.

Dad passed away four years ago and his favorite store in all the world was Sears. He would be truly broken hearted to see this. He was the kind of guy who hated shopping for anything, he'd just go in, get exactly what he needed and leave, but not with Sears. He'd actually go in and look around. I'll never forget that. I'd always perk up as a kid when he'd ask if I wanted to go to Sears because it meant we might be there longer than 5 minutes.

Even though the catalogs have been gone for a long time, outhouses around the globe just got a little less pleasant!

RIP Sears & Roebuck Co. A whole generation died with you.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
DBL

edit on 10/12/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

Actually they did, made in China...

But marketing strategy and poor corporate decisions put them there. Such as not standing behind the Craftsman brand like in the past. But they are not the only company to fail to properly plan to market changes and technologies.

Kodak is still around, but have you seen any of their products lately?

Kodak actually had digital cameras real early but they didn't bother to invest and it kick em hard..lol

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I was bummed when AMC tanked. I mean the Pacer was WAY underrated.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Boy, you want to talk about a boneheaded marketing decision, Kodak has got to be at about the top of the list with that one!

They got handed the golden spoon by the federal government and were so short-sighted that they turned right around and screwed the pooch with it! Talk about bureaucratic stupidity! That one takes the cake!

ETA - Tunnel vision to the max!

edit on 10/12/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: tovenar

Amazon so much better tho, right?

Nope. The next thing I buy at amazon, will be the first thing. I don't do a whole lot of online shopping to begin with, but Amazon would be well down on the list.

I prefer stores. Always will.

I miss the Xmas catalog, too.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

oh I remember Wollworths" everything was inexpensive and you bought stuff and then you sat at the counter for some lunch!!!!! boy I miss that place

are they closing the sears outlet stores as well ????? sears really went downhill I got a clothes dryer from the outlet and let me tell you...sears and sears outlet "never the twain shall meet" one had no idea of the other.....and to get someone to come out was going to take a month or more....they finally brought another dryer out to replace the one i had...had to be from the outlet not the regular sSAERS

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Blockbuster could have bought Netflix cheap.

Xerox sold personal computers to Microsoft because they didn't see the potential.
Hell, they invented the internet too "sorry al"

Lots of bad choices out there...

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: tovenar

I remember pouring over that catalog over and over. Sitting on the floor watching a black and white tv and circling all the things we wished for. man... those were the days..

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

You forgot one, Motorola could have gone digital...

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   

You mean you were checking out the ladies undewear section. I suppose you scoped out National Geographic mags in the school library for the animals and not the occasional boobies. LOL

edit on 12-10-2018 by lakenheath24 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join