It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Boss Is Harassing Me At Work Because of Trump

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+53 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   
So I recently got a great promotion at the company I work for. While I won't name them, they are a Fortune 500. I'm not a big-wig, just middle management.

I share an office space with a GM and a Regional Director. Up until a few weeks ago, we all got along great and things seemed to be going as well as they could for me. That is until the Kavanaugh hearings started.
We have a television hanging on the wall in the office and the hearings were on. The Regional Director paid a lot of attention to the hearing and the CNN news reports during and after. I knew he was a super liberal and kept all political chatter to a minimum because I'm a strict conservative. However, I made a mistake during Cory Booker's questioning. The RD was cheering him on as he was bashing Kavanaugh and demanding an investigation. I forget the exact comment my RD made, but I responded that perhaps Booker, being a sexual predator himself, shouldn't be calling for an investigation on anyone.

I was sorry the moment I said anything because the RD looked at me and claimed that Booker never sexually assaulted anyone and asked if I had heard that on FOX news. Becoming even dumber, I responded that Booker actually admitted it in his book. He then asked me to prove it...and I did by showing him numerous articles written about it.

The RD then did a no-no...he asked me what my party affiliation was. In a corporate setting, this is risky territory....for both of us. I responded that I choose no party over another, but I lean conservative. His next question was if I liked Trump. I told him that I liked a lot of what he was doing and disliked some things. When he asked about what I liked, I told him that I never get into political or religious conversations at work for obvious reasons.

When I left work that day, I noticed an Obama bumper sticker on my car. I got a little freaked out because there are hundreds of people that work there as well as visitors. I couldn't imagine that anyone knew what I drove as I was a transfer from another branch just a few weeks before. I came to work the next day to find a document on my computer keyboard about all the lies that Trump has told since he's been in office.

I won't detail every event, starting Monday of this week, the level of harassment is becoming a bit scary. The RD has started calling me names for being a conservative. "Stupid Bible Thumper" seems to be the favorite even though I affiliate with no church. He had a conversation with some other big-wig right behind my desk and they were talking about how all "backwoods conservatives" are stupid and ignorant. Mind you, I have a degree from one of the most prestigious colleges on the planet...Cornell University, so I am far from stupid and I felt so pissed off I almost quit right there.

So I'm in a conundrum here. The RD is my boss. He has been here for over 10 years and everyone loves him. What he is doing is blatant harassment at best....perhaps borderline hate-crime at worst. This job, or career, is the one I went to college and busted my butt for. It's great money and a superb addition to the resume. I could go to HR....but what would they say? Would they even do anything?

I never in my life thought I'd say this, but I'm scared that fanatic liberals actually DO have the power in this country and I'm fearful to even have a conversation with anyone just in case I say something conservative! What have we come to when thinkers of any sort are becoming too scared to even chat about the direction our country is headed? When we can't even be comfortable in our own skin?

I will continue keeping on, but I'm thinking that I should at least start recording things just to protect myself in the event of.....who knows what. I'm so disillusioned right now and hope that these types of people do not regain power ever again because they're evil sob's.
edit on 12-10-2018 by MrBuddy because: rw

+53 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: MrBuddy

Best answer I can give you (as i work in corporate world too) is begin keeping detailed notes, possible recordings of these exchanges.... Ultimately, if this behavior continues, you'll have evidence of dates/recordings/etc. to relay over to HR, and ultimately, any outside lawyers to help protect your worker rights.

+23 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Keep a journal and document everything.
It may come in handy.

+39 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Document EVERYTHING! You will soon have a lawsuit for Hostile Working Environment!

+24 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Note,record take everything down.

Read cover to cover employee handbook. Fortune 500 companies do have them if I'm not mistaken.

There should be something on employer/empployee behavior.

Meet with a lawyer.

Provide enough evidence.

And SUE their snips off.

link   

voice recorder - and or go pro type camera - and file complaint with the next management tier above him

link   

I would argue that your degree doesnt actually mean you're smart. HR. Obviously.

link   
a reply to: jhn7537

Agreed. It's just so crazy that I, or anyone, has to deal with this type of bullying at work. I loved my job when I started, now I'm afraid I'll be relegated to a drone that hates his job and can't wait to come home every day. That's no way to live and no good for the soul.

I do appreciate the response.

+22 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Yep.
Another shining example of the tolerance and inclusiveness of the Left.
Beacons of free thought and individualism.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Careful about recording people without telling them.....

But contact your states labor relations dept and report them.

www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...
edit on 12-10-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
TDS strikes again.

+12 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrBuddy

Agreed. It's just so crazy that I, or anyone, has to deal with this type of bullying at work. I loved my job when I started, now I'm afraid I'll be relegated to a drone that hates his job and can't wait to come home every day. That's no way to live and no good for the soul.

Just go to work and do your job. DO NOT trust anyone at this point. If someone tries to talk to you about politics or religion, just tell them "You are at work and don't feel comfortable talking about those subjects while on the job."

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: bender151

Lol, while I appreciate your candor, a degree actually does mean you're smart. The question is your definition of smart. So we'll meet half way. I'm smart when it comes to what I went to college for. Can I rip apart an engine and put it back together, nope. Can a mechanic do what I do, nope.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

The U.S. and the states have their own laws governing the legality of surreptitious recording of oral, telephonic, and other communications. A person’s secret taping of a conversation is governed by the laws of the state in which she is making the recording unless the federal law is more protective of privacy.

All they have to do is check, and if their state is a 1 party consent.

It's Omarosa time.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
This is definitely dangerous territory. Unfortunately, it would be hard to prove any harrassment unless it affects your performance. You can either change jobs or let them think you are one of them and keep the job as long as it suits you with the knowledge that you will need to eventually change your company.

This was a hard lesson to learn. NEVER talk politics.
edit on 12-10-2018 by Justso because: (no reason given)

link   
as others have said. A job for HR.

I'd speak to someone there, so it's on record then gather evidence as others have said.

This is why I avoid religion and all politics in the work place. Not worth the grief.
Some people get a bit psycho when others have a different viewpoint to them.

Hope you get it sorted without too much issue. Regardless of political leanings harassment should not be tolerated.

link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Document EVERYTHING! You will soon have a lawsuit for Hostile Working Environment!

Agreed. In this type of situation, the more hard, detailed documentation you have the better you will appear to be credible. In addition, be sure to also document your fear of your job due to the senior position of the other parties in the firm. No matter what you do, if you decide to go to HR, consider your position there over. I know that is a bit defeatist, but it is reality.

Once someone files a hostile workplace charge, you may get "justice" but you will forever be branded there. The best you can hope for is a monetary settlement for a release package, so you can find a new job elsewhere. Part of that package MUST include a legal commitment by them that this will never be released outside of that workplace to damage your chances of future employment elsewhere (i.e. blackball clause).

This is why I never talk politics where I work. Under no circumstances. When asked, I merely state I don't have a political opinion, and never will.

Good luck.

link   

originally posted by: MrBuddy

This does suck when it happens! This has happened to me before, too. What I don't like is when co-workers come up to me and go "So, this Trump guy is a real d*ck" (or something along those lines) and wait for a response from me... I go "I don't like talking politics, money and religion with people" and giving that answer alone, they assume I'm conservative becuase I'm not bashing trump with them... its beyond annoying

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Turn that frown upside down brutha. You have a golden op to sue the pants off the company and be sipping brews in Barbados for the rest of your life! Lawyer up, get a secret webcam and live stream everything. Guaranteed Fox and the Tman will jump on it.

+24 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Contact a lawyer. They'll help you with the next steps.

Also, keep in mind that HR isn't there to protect you, they are there to protect the company.
edit on 12-10-2018 by Chickensalad because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join