It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the N-Word be used in school plays?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Make up a new play instead of being a total vag imao.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Good point . I guess it would be fairer if we were allowed to own the word cracker .

BTW I’ve been wanting to ask you. You didn’t take my suggesting to listen to that rebel son song wrong did you ?

I like your post and their stinging wit.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

That was definitely red neck country/Rock.....
Funny stuff..

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Yep it’s definitely over the top and not appropriate here. On another forum I was on I could reply to just about any statement with one of their songs .

A friend of mine said “raging fit” was my theme song .

But to get kind of back on topic. They throw around the N-word quite a bit too.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

As a professional in the performing arts, I can say one of the beautiful things about the industry is we often tackle hard social issues in the producing of plays.
Conflict is always part of a good story.

With that said, I am not sure 'Mockingbird' being produced at the high school level is the best idea by the program director, or the school's administration.

Reading the book, and watching the film. . . I was required to do so as part of my HS learning. No issue.

I feel like this is something that could have been produced at the community theater or professional theater level. Due to today's culture I think the language is not HS appropriate.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Use a word like "no good bum" or "lazy dog" and do the play without repercussions.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Why? Aren't we all equal?

Yes, but in some cases the Berkshires are more equal than the Yorkshires.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 03:23 AM
link   
As everything these days has to be white washed to be acceptable, the young

will never fully understand how far humanity has really come in dealing with

racism.

I mean how much do students know of .......

Separate drinking fountains ...... (lol!! no bottled water)

Separate entrances ......

Using back entrances.....

Sitting at the back of transport.....

Separate schools ......

Mixed colour relationships illegal.....

Owning another human being......

and more.....ALL LESS THAN 100 years AGO!!
edit on 12-10-2018 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   
So since the book is still commonly read in high school, but it seems consensus is that we dare not act it out, it seems kids can read the banned word but cannot be trusted to actually say it?

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

We should not protect our children from uncomfortable times in our past but educate them

This is so important, and you worded this a lot better than I did in my OP, but this is exactly what I meant to say.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Never happen whilst we refuse to learn from our past transgressions and historical mistakes.

Kind of hard to teach our children what we refuse to accept ourselves.

Such is our penchant for repetition and destruction from one generation to the next.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:57 PM
link   
We humans hey.

I find it funny we can say "n-word" and we all know what word we mean. But we cannot say THE word.

Kind of like many words. f-word, c-word..... seems silly when we translate it in our heads.

I think the important thing about words and something many seem to forget is context.
The intent of how words are used.

We can take it one step further, how many non-Caucasian comedians can say things like "you white people" while then launching into a bit about white stereotypes. But when was the last time you saw a Caucasian comedian being able to say similar?

"You Asian people" "You black people" "Women am I right?"

Gays can joke about gays and straights, but a straight can only joke about straights. lest they be homophobes.

It's the hypocritical double standards of it all.

"Oh I can say this because I am (insert race/gender/religion/etc here) but when you say it it's offensive...."

Ridiculous honestly. This is why we won't ever move on as a species. People say they want equality, but their actions speak a different story of wanting more, wanting special treatment.
Most 'oppressed' people these days have it better than most. Only people oppressing them is their selves.
But they cannot see it.

I think we should just outlaw race altogether. Make it law people can only refer to themselves and others as "human" nothing more or less.
That would fix the problem. But again, people don't really want true equality.

Too bad squeaky wheels get the grease, because the vast majority who finds it all ridiculous tend to be silent, while a few make a huge noise so that is who gets heard.

Any way I'll see you again next year when a new play is being cleansed of things that will offend people, well except anything that might be offensive to white men because we know you cannot be racist or sexist to Caucasian males.
No the first time Mockingbird has had this occur, won't be the last time, and it's not even the first book/play to be burned. Pretty sure we were all having this discussion 20 years ago about Huck Finn.

History does repeat when it comes to these social issues.

Hilarious to see in a country whose known for its spouting of its main catch line of "freedom of speech" at everyone else, is happy to censor anyone who uses said freedom of speech.

So catch you later my N-Words! Ya'll have a great day!
Amazing I can say that hey and it is no different than had I used the word itself, but it won't trigger those the actual word would upset.

Humans, you make me laugh until I cry. Because it's really sad how stupid we are for the supposed most intelligent species.

Yep, bit of a problem when some can be racist and sexist, but others cannot be simply due to the genetics they were born with.
How do people not see it?

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I've been called the N word before, idk if I should be ashamed or be one with the pride.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I can't even believe it.

The school had a community conversation and decided to bring the play back, all words included.

fox6now.com...
“The word in the play is uncomfortable, but that’s the point,” said Aldana.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join