It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tyndall AFB suffers massive damage; including irreplaceable F-22s

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Tyndall AFB suffered a direct hit from Hurricane Michael, which is expected to be upgraded to a Cat 5 storm at the point of landfall. Wind speeds were clocked just short of Category 5 speeds shortly before coming ashore. The eye pressed directly over the base.

Tyndall is home to the Air Force live fire range operations, and is responsible for the Gulf of Mexico range complex. They also are responsible for training F-22 pilots. In addition to the F-22, the base is home to the QF-16 aerial target aircraft. Prior to the storm, 25 QF-16s, and five support aircraft were flown to Pease Jetport in New Hampshire. In addition, the two E-9A aircraft flew up there with them.

Both Eglin AFB and Tyndall sent over 100 aircraft to ride the storm out at Wright-Patterson. Unfortunately, a number of aircraft were in a non-flyable status, both QF-16s and worse, F-22s. There is no word on how many of each were left, but an overhead shot of one hangar shows what looks like three QF-16s.

The flight line is devastated. Every building has severe damage. Many buildings are a complete loss.

The drone runway, AFCEC labs, and Silver Flag areas all sustained catastrophic damage.

m.facebook.com...

www.thedrive.com...

www.firstcoastnews.com... 278852

www.newsherald.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Youch that’s no good!

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Roof sheeting gone so water ingress would be a big issue..

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I was very curious to know to what extent the damage would be to Tyndall. I assumed that all craft would be flown out but I guess that just was not doable. That really sucks man.
How long till Tyndall AFB is back up do you think?

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

There talking weeks to get it habitable again. Based on what I've seen and heard so far, a year minimum, probably more like 2 for full repairs to be completed. Depending on the runway status, 3 months to see anywhere near pre storm operations. That will be from temporary shelters and buildings.
edit on 10/11/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/11/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

DAMN
Why did the AF not prepare for the worst and fly all assets out before Michael hit?

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

They did. Everything capable of flying went to Ohio, Texas, or New Hampshire. Unfortunately, no matter how hard you work at it, you always have jets that are not flyable. They're either waiting on parts, are undergoing an inspection and are torn apart, or just haven't been gotten to yet. You can either get all hands on deck getting them ready to fly out, or all hands on deck getting your good birds, along with support equipment and parts out.

Usually you have a crew that stays until the last second trying to get any down jets out, but it's a fairly small crew and can only do so much. So you take the jets farthest away from being ready, and shove them into a good solid hangar, and hope it stands up to the storm.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   

That makes sense. Still sad to hear about any beautiful F-22 getting dings. Or really any bird getting hurt.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I've been wondering how Tyndall fared. I knew it wasn't going to be good news.

I guess the positive is that it definitely could've been much worse but that doesn't fix the damage that was done.

Thanks for the update, sir!

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   

I wonder how Eglin and Hurlburt Field faired through this?

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Tanga36

The good news is no personnel injuries, even with a stay behind team on the base.

a reply to: highvein

Both were under limited operations today, and are hoping to resume normal operations tomorrow. They're still doing a full damage assessment.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
This is just sad...

twitter.com...

If anyone finds this in poor taste feel free to remove the post.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

I was actually about to post another version that shows more of the hangar and all the aircraft in it.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Does the F-22 have the same parts supply problem as the F-35? If I recall correctly, at one time there were quite a few F-35's that were sidelined waiting for parts because of a DOD snafu.

-dex

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Wow you almost have to ask yourself is it worth rebuilding? Looks like every building was damaged you are literally going to have to build a new base. Could do like they did with Talladega turn it into a race track and call it a day. Other option turn it over to the army for training. I thi bbn k spending the money on expanding other basses might be the thing to do.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Wow you almost have to ask yourself is it worth rebuilding? Looks like every building was damaged you are literally going to have to build a new base. Could do like they did with Talladega turn it into a race track and call it a day. Other option turn it over to the army for training. I thi bbn k spending the money on expanding other basses might be the thing to do.

I was going to make a very bad joke about might as well hand it over to the Corps as it already looks rough enough when I saw the aftermath but thought better of it.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

No. They have a well established supply chain and good stock of parts.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Combat Controllers arrived from Hurlburt at 7pm last night. They did a fast survey of the runway and had their equipment set up immediately. The first arrival was at 7:06pm.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

It ain't pretty, folks:

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

It looks like at least one of the Raptors lost part of a stab. It's really hard to tell though.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join