It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Social Media Creating Political Monoculture To Advance Left Wing Ideology?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
IMO, this is a fair question. Social media is being used by over 3 billion users and has increased 13% since last year, with over a million new social media users born each day.

A million new social media users are ‘born’ every day

As of 2018, there are 3.196 billion people using social media on the planet, up 13 percent from 2017 to 2018.

blog.hootsuite.com...

If social media companies are promoting a certain ideology and limiting other perspectives by censoring free expression, isn't this a form of manipulation designed to brainwash users of social media? Teens and young adults, exclusively use social media for their source of news and information.

These young adults are very impressionable and can easily be persuaded to adopt a Liberal biased viewpoint, especially when you consider that social media is attempting to eliminate diversity by 'silencing and censoring non-liberal voices on their platforms.'

Silicon Valley, the heart of the American tech industry, is largely liberal, and has been fraught with allegations of bias in Trump's America. In July 2017, Google found itself at the center of a political firestorm after engineer James Damore wrote an internal post decrying what he characterised as "Google's Ideological Echo Chamber," in which he attacked the company's diversity efforts. (Some conservatives also allege that social media firms are deliberately silencing and censoring nonliberal voices on their platforms, which the companies deny.)

www.businessinsider.com...

Today, an article writes about a Facebook engineer leaving the company, because of 'a political monoculture that's intolerant of different views.'

"We are a political monoculture that's intolerant of different views ... we claim to welcome all perspectives, but are quick to attack — often in mobs — anyone who presents a view that appears to be in opposition to left-leaning ideology," Amerige, who politically identifies as objectivist, wrote.

"Strategically, we've taken a stance on how to balance offensive and hateful speech with free expression. We've accepted the inevitability of government regulation. And we've refused to defend ourselves in the press. Our policy strategy is pragmatism — not clear, implementable long-term principles — and our PR strategy is appeasement — not morally earned pride and self-defense."

"My departure isn't because I think these issues are intractable. These problems can be solved — just not by me, nor anymore, at least," Amerige wrote. "I care too deeply about our role in supporting free expression and intellectual diversity to even whole-heartedly attempt the product stuff anymore, and that's how I know it's time to go."

Facebook isn't the only company that 'biases its service towards the left-side of the political spectrum.'

From an article published on 07/27/2018:

Twitter might soon have the government breathing down its neck for "shadow-banning" conservatives, while Facebook's market value has plunged more than $130 billion in just two days as the once-dominant social media site's growth goes flat amid charges of bias. Is this the beginning of the end of the social media boom?

In other words, once again a progressive-dominated tech-site biases its service towards the left-side of the political spectrum to the detriment of the conservative-libertarian right. It's not just Twitter, of course. Facebook is having problems now for the same reason: It treats Republicans and conservatives differently than Democrats and leftists on its site.

www.investors.com...

So, there is evidence, that social media is creating a monoculture to advance left wing ideology, regardless of what social media CEOs state or deny. Young adults are being subtly manipulated by social media to become Liberals. They become intolerant with anything conservatives have to say, because they only hear from one side of the political spectrum. This problem is compounded when you add the 'left-leaning ideology' coming from college educators and MSM. IMO, our country's divisiveness is caused by this, which breeds intolerance, hatred of free speech and mob violence.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Kids are doing full power point presentations in 5th grade now.

What i'm trying to say, is that even though they are impressionable kids know how to research and look up stuff better than most adults I know.

Also, just a fact of life, most young people are somewhat liberal leaning. It isn't until the harsh reality of the world and living on their own / paying taxes, etc. makes them re-examine their political beliefs.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Anybody like Facebook and Twitter that have huge followings are always ripe for taking big money from the highest bidders.

DNC/NWO collusion.

Goatherding Inc.

😎

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The goal is to create a social parasite of the genre that will eventually consume the host. The host in this case is the United States culture, the Constitution and the VALUE in the rule of law. Emotion-packed mob-rule is ripe to be picked for a totalitarian dictatorship with ruling of iron and blood.

link   
But I was told that Facebook posts couldn't impact a person's political ideology. I mean that's what we've been told when it comes to the fact that the Russians were campaigning for Trump en masse on social media.
edit on 10/11/2018 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

link   

Yeah, I think this guy finally got sick of it. Hell, they have employees that refuse to even work with you if you are not part of the group-think.

The Facebook engineer who wrote a controversial memo decrying the company's 'intolerant' culture is leaving

The Facebook engineer who wrote a memo decrying what he called the company's "intolerant" liberal culture has quit.

'A political monoculture that's intolerant of different views'

We are a political monoculture that's intolerant of different views ... we claim to welcome all perspectives, but are quick to attack — often in mobs — anyone who presents a view that appears to be in opposition to left-leaning ideology," Amerige, who politically identifies as objectivist, wrote.

The writing proved controversial, and subsequently sparked the creation of an internal group, on Facebook's Workplace messageboard, "FB'ers for Political Diversity," where hundreds of conservative employees protested the company's practices. Posters promoting the group and attacking the "outrage mob" appeared around campus, and debates among employees have broken out across Facebook Workplace over the company's approach to politics.

There have also previously been some incidents in which Facebook employees have refused to work with or talk to certain colleagues because of their political beliefs, an employee previously told Business Insider.

Amerige wrote: "I'm leaving because I'm burnt out on Facebook, our strategy, our culture, and our product.

edit on 11-10-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Is Social Media Creating Political Monoculture To Advance Left Wing Ideology?

You ain't just whistling Dixie.

link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Well, my 22 year old daughter and 18 year old son, don't 'know how to research and look up' information concerning other opposing viewpoints on politics. They are VERY Liberal and don't have any desire in conversing with me in regards to politics. Conservative dad...wrong, Liberal ideology...right. They REFUSE to delve into any type of research regarding politics, because they think Conservatives and their ideas are ruining this country. It's like they were born Liberal, but I know this was caused by the things they saw and read on social media, including gossip and small talk from left leaning friends and Liberal biased teachers they may have had over the years. The cards are stacked against intellectual diversity on the subject of politics and Republican and conservative viewpoints, which is why I posted this thread.

link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
But I was told that Facebook posts couldn't impact a person's political ideology. I mean that's what we've been told when it comes to the fact that the Russians were campaigning for Trump en masse on social media.

We are not referring to twits twittering to mature adults, we are referring to indoctrination of the youth by social media bias. The Hitler Youth grew up with indoctrination and led to disastrous results.
When discussing native Americans and their tribal wars, my 3rd grade granddaughter said "but Indians were good" not realizing that slavery, torture, and rape was common in their culture. I responded that people were all about the same no matter where they came from and that there were good ones and bad ones everywhere. Our educational system is guilty of indoctrination, also.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Anybody like Facebook and Twitter that have huge followings are always ripe for taking big money from the highest bidders.

DNC/NWO collusion.

Goatherding Inc.

😎

Of the 55 members on the Energy and Commerce Committee this year, all but nine have received Facebook contributions in the past decade.

On the House committee, Republicans got roughly twice as much as Democrats, counter to the broader trend in Facebook campaign gifts. Of the $7 million in contributions to all federal candidates tied to the Menlo Park, Calif.-based social network,Democrats got 65%to Republicans' 33%.

Usa Today.
edit on 11-10-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I've had the exact opposite experience with my children of similar age to yours.

I find that my kids are pretty sophisticated when it comes to election topics, sometimes more in the know than me.
They are also not completely right or left, there are things on both sides they like and dislike. One is more left leaning, but not far left, and the other is more conservative. One thing is for sure, they don't take for granted the right to vote!

I'm very glad that I have open minded think for themselves kind of children. We have a lot of political discussions and they admit when they are wrong about certain things, and I will admit when I am wrong.

I find it funny that my kids said something very similar about their grandparents that you said about your kids. They think their grandparents are very closed minded and don't want to research! I guess it works both ways.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Social media companies are privately owned. They can lean whatever way they choose.

Using social media isn't a requirement. Therefore, it can't be blamed for causing things like this. Are they left leaning, and pushing a left agenda? Maybe. I'd even say, probably. But, no one is forced to look at it so they technically aren't doing anything wrong.
To me, this is akin to saying that the billboard next to the highway telling me that I'm going to hell if I don't let Jesus into my life needs to be torn down because it's pushing an agenda.
Anyone who gets news from a social media site is behaving in a ridiculous manner. But, I'd question whether they're defining getting news from social media as "My facebook friend said this about a political trial and I believe that to be truthful news", or "I saw a FOX news article linked on twitter and followed the link to the site", because those are very different things.

Having said all that, I feel that all social media is a horrible thing that causes legitimate mental issues in some people. Depression, anxiety, addictive tendencies, etc. I refuse to use it. I truly believe that social media needs to be regulated, and that the companies themselves have too much power over how the internet is controlled.
But ultimately, they can run their business as they see fit. Doesn't make it "good" or "right", but it is what it is.

ETA: Also, leaning left isn't inherently a bad thing. Just because it isn't the way you lean doesn't make it wrong. Just different.
edit on 11-10-2018 by narrator because: eta

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

Because third graders have the cognitive ability to understand college level history lessons.

Do you know who she was also taught were good in that lesson? The Pilgrims. And we all know that's also not true.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   

a reply to: pteridine

Because third graders have the cognitive ability to understand college level history lessons.

Do you know who she was also taught were good in that lesson? The Pilgrims. And we all know that's also not true.

Actually, the Pilgrims were not part of it. The concept that there are good people and bad people no matter where they come from is hardly college level history. The idea that the natives had some spiritual connection with the environment is another myth that I will temper when we get to that concept

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Doesn't matter what the real results are.

What matters is what the payees THINK the results COULD be and how they propagandize the "results".

Simple Simon Says

top topics

join