It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Lebanese government offers to step down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Under increasing local and foreign pressure, pro-Syrian Prime Minister Omar Karami signaled Lebanese government may quit.
Karami said he would seek a vote of confidence in parliament on Monday, when lawmakers are to convene to discuss Hariri's assassination.
Although the government holds a majority in parliament, it might lose it amid the unprecedented hostility toward Syria and its Lebanese allies over Hariri's slaying.

www.cbc.ca
"I am ready to resign on condition that we agree on a new government in order to avoid falling into a constitutional vacuum," Karami told the leading An-Nahar newspaper.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Maybe a process of change has started.

When the Iraqi people were voting three weeks ago, 8 million of them, they spraeded a spark of a democratic revolt. A start of a new Arab world?

Related News Links:
english.aljazeera.net
www.albawaba.com
www.jpost.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Syria to withdraw troops from Lebanon
NEWS: Lebanese Army Mobilise After Assassination.
NEWS: Beirut Mourns And Protests

[edit on 24-2-2005 by Riwka]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I can only hope it's a start. That idea of democracy, no matter how flawed it can become, allowed an upstart group of colonists 200 years ago, to become the dominant superpower over nations exisitng centuries before. Resources and territory were both available to the two dominant, competing thoughts of government, and one was more innovative, internally stronger. The one involving the people within it.

That same principal of government has shown time and time again, that the voice of the people trumps the self identified elite every time-culturally, financially, and militarily. All it takes is courage, something that has never been lacking in the Middle East. All it needed was a direction, and maybe an inspiration.

The heart and spirit of the great Persian Empire might still be there, buried and hidden under oil politics, religious extremists, and hunderds of power mad thugs and warlords. The peoples that brought us the foundations of science and mathematics and civilization, might be ready to do so again.

It'll be rough, birth is always messy and traumatic. Many don't survive. But people have seen that democracy done right can work miracles. And they can look to America's mistakes and learn from them.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This is a little heady I must say. Democratic elections in iraq, an egyptian sponsored conference on the israeli-palestinian issue with israel attending, the cessastion of the intafada, the withdrawl of israeli settlements from the west bank and now movement on the issue of occupied lebanon!

What the heck is next? Besides gigantic disappointment when it all goes to crap again? Dangit, hope thats just pessimism.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
It helps to think of it this way:

It can't "go to crap" if it's already there. So it does have to get a little bit better first to fail. And each little glimpse of the possibility of success emboldens the next attempt.

Originally posted by Nygdan
This is a little heady I must say. Democratic elections in iraq, an egyptian sponsored conference on the israeli-palestinian issue with israel attending, the cessastion of the intafada, the withdrawl of israeli settlements from the west bank and now movement on the issue of occupied lebanon!

What the heck is next? Besides gigantic disappointment when it all goes to crap again? Dangit, hope thats just pessimism.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I have to admit a bit of confusion over the whole Rafik Hariri assasination thing. Wasn't he the EX-Prime minister? As such, why is the whole government of Lebanon in turmoil?

If Clinton was assasinated it wouldn't affect our government one bit. He's not President any more. Why did this guy's assasination change the entire political landscape over there if he's not the PM any more?

Please help me out of my confusion.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I have the feeling that the lebanon PM will step down because is afraid of retaliation against his life, he is not stupid he knows thinks are shaky and he favors Syria.

Lebanon is an unstable country as now.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
yes i think so too.
if he likes his life and his family,
he better quits.
it is time for a "new lebanon".

top topics

join