It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Signs Music Modernization Act

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
One persons music is another persons noise

www.youtube.com...

Think he will get royalties ?

He should pay people for wasting their time.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl
If you're talking about today's pop and rock "musicians," I agree.

Pretty much like modern art.

Pure crap.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I Love IATSE....wish I could get my card.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Ok I found the whole thing. Still, this is weird.

Editor Charlie sez: The current version of the Music Modernization Act can be found here. Don’t ask–there’s some parliamentary reason why it’s now got a different bill number (HR 1551) and has a weird title (“To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to modify the credit for production from advanced nuclear power facilities”).

artistrightswatch.com...

www.congress.gov...

edit on 11-10-2018 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: theatreboy
a reply to: olaru12

I Love IATSE....wish I could get my card.

Just keep working...it took me 2 years to get off overflow. We just got Netflix HQ, they took over the Q sound stages. Disney and Lionsgate, soon to follow....livin the dream!!

I'm not sure but if you can get into an AFofL CIO subsiduary, you might be able to slide into your iatse local.

www.theverge.com...

edit on 11-10-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
The royalty checks will be sent to the producers. It's up to them if they want to give the musicians anything. Bo Diddly a rock icon wound up fixing cars in Belen, New Mexico, until an attorney took his case and sued the record company.

That's the advantage of having a Union to keep the producers from fu==ing the people that do the work.

God bless SAG/AFTRA and IATSE. My residuals are a large part of my income.

I haven’t been able to read the whole thing yet but is that the gist of it? That it’s up to the producers to pay the artists now?

I can only imagine the (even more of a) crap show that would turn the music industry into.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Please tell me I don't have to listen to Ye!!! (Kanye now is known as Ye, the artist formally known as Kanye.) Yay.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

The royalty checks will be sent to the producers. It's up to them if they want to give the musicians anything. Bo Diddly a rock icon wound up fixing cars in Belen, New Mexico, until an attorney took his case and sued the record company.

That's the advantage of having a Union to keep the producers from fu==ing the people that do the work.

God bless SAG/AFTRA and IATSE. My residuals are a large part of my income.

I haven’t been able to read the whole thing yet but is that the gist of it? That it’s up to the producers to pay the artists now?

I can only imagine the (even more of a) crap show that would turn the music industry into.

You remember what HST said....

“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

I never received a dime in residuals from our cds. But I didn't write the songs....

Remember the Badfinger tradagy?

(post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Exactly. It's another damn trump move.

Down with musician rights !!!

edit on 11-10-2018 by Parishna because: (no reason given)

(post by Parishna removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

They failed

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver
Please tell me I don't have to listen to Ye!!! (Kanye now is known as Ye, the artist formally known as Kanye.) Yay.

FFFFFFFFF... jesus wept.. He really did.

Oh my fricken god.

HE IS NOT EVEN A MUSICIAN...

Ye, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of derp...

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Parishna

Obviously you don’t know any music producers. I wouldn’t trust most of these people to pay me back what I loaned them for lunch.

I still have to read the whole thing, but if that’s what it is I don’t think it’s good. What I want to know is who wrote it and which entertainment lawyers were consulted in its drafting. That alone will tell you who it benefits. If it’s the labels who are behind this, I seriously doubt it’s purpose is to help working musicians in any way.

Now if it’s just ASCAP and BMI and publishing companies behind it, maybe. But that’s still a big maybe.
edit on 11-10-2018 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Here is Billboard's take on it, if you're interested.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: Parishna

Obviously you don’t know any music producers.

Nor do I.. .. wait..

Hence my sarcastic post..

I wouldn’t trust most of these people to pay me back what I loaned them for lunch.

Which is why I give lunch for free, to someone I'm with who needs it. I don't expect it back. People can be trusted for one thing only. That they cannot be trusted.

My favourite quote, from the horses mouth even.. complete with bath salt encrusted typos. lol

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Here is Billboard's take on it, if you're interested.

Thanks. I haven’t read the whole thing for myself yet so I don’t feel comfortable about making any concrete conclusions about it, but from the billboard article it sounds like this is creating one database for all the music owned by most major publishing companies.

That’s not a bad thing, in theory it’ll allow them to pay out more royalties because they’ll be able to monitor what’s played where and how much a lot easier.

The only part I have a problem with is this:

Third, it puts the unclaimed royalties in the hands of the content community, rather than sitting with the DSPs.

What is meant here by content community? While that will take the weight off of DSP’s who is it putting in their place as far as payment is concerned? Publishing companies I assume, but that’s just an assumption.

I wish I had the time to read the whole bill right now at this moment, maybe that’s explained somewhere.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

What is meant here by content community? While that will take the weight off of DSP’s who is it putting in their place as far as payment is concerned? Publishing companies I assume, but that’s just an assumption.

Content community WTF....right, let's set up an entertainment escrow trust LLC and hold the money until someone claims it. There will be a service charge of course and we get to keep any interest accrued in the account.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Content community WTF....right, let's set up an entertainment escrow LLC and hold the money until someone claims it. There will be a service charge of course.

I wouldn’t be surprised. With the death of album sales and the rise of digital subscription services the publishers have taken the place that labels used to occupy.

I’m sure they aren’t backing this to give themselves less money.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join