It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Signs Music Modernization Act

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Trump signed this into law today. After a brief reading, I like it. I have been in the industry for 25+ years in various jobs. I think I really like the fact that music recorded before 1972 will still pay royalties to the artists.

www.rollingstone.com...

What say you ATS

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Its only fair, you made the music you get paid no matter how long ago.

Thanks Kanye and Kid Rock!

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

The UK targeted music 'characterized by a series of repetitive beats' in the criminal justice act of 1994 .

Eg :

And this comes free of charge

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
This is weird. The articles about it say it’s supposed to help songwriters and producers etc, but the actual bill has nothing to do with any of that.

Sec. 1) This bill amends the Internal Revenue Code, with respect to the tax credit for the production of electricity from advanced nuclear power facilities, to: (1) establish requirements for the allocation of unutilized portions of the national megawatt capacity limitation, and (2) allow public entities to transfer the credit to project partners.

If a portion of the 6,000 national megawatt capacity limitation for the credit is unutilized after December 31, 2020, the Internal Revenue Service must allocate the unutilized capacity: (1) first to facilities that were placed in service on or before December 31, 2020, and did not receive an allocation equal to their full nameplate capacity, and (2) then to facilities placed in service after December 31, 2020, in the order in which the facilities are placed in service. The placed-in-service sunset date of January 1, 2021, does not apply to the allocations of unutilized national megawatt capacity.

www.congress.gov...

Even the title on the bill on the official site says it’s about helping musicians, but the actual bill contains nothing about that. WTF?

If anyone can point me to the relevant portions that would be great. This is something that effects me and I’d like to read the entire thing before making up my mind about it.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

I hope we see some good results from this, I haven't checked the details and how the royalties might change. As a member of ASCAP I have seen it pushed for the past 4-5 years as something that helps the little guy. But if royalties only go from the $0.002 per stream to $0.0025 per stream or something like that then maybe 2000 streams will buy a large coffee instead of a small one

I'll find out in time, I get royalty reports for several artists as part of a recording collaboration that I produce at.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Cant tell who theyre trolling: musicians, or energy policy nutters??

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

At this point it’s probably safe to assume they’re just trolling everyone.

Seriously though, WTF?

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

LMAO...FAIL!

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Now if only musicians would make real music.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I hope everyone catches Kanye fielding questions there, hes a chip off the old Trump managing the press lol

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
One persons music is another persons noise

www.youtube.com...

Think he will get royalties ?
edit on 11-10-2018 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Rollingstone got the HR number wrong , soundexchange article has more likely correct .

and (2) allow public entities to transfer the credit to project partners.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: VividestSum93

LMAO...FAIL!

Do you mean that as in I failed or they failed by trying to pull one over on everyone? I may have failed.

Maybe I’m not looking in the right place, but I thought the Congress website about the bill would have an adequate explanation of it. Instead it has nothing to do with it at all.
I want to read this whole thing that’s supposedly about helping me get more royalties but it just seems to be about nuclear energy and the IRS.

Again, WTF? If anyone could point me to a complete version of the bill I’d be forever grateful.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The royalty checks will be sent to the producers. It's up to them if they want to give the musicians anything. Bo Diddly a rock icon wound up fixing cars in Belen, New Mexico, until an attorney took his case and sued the record company.

That's the advantage of having a Union to keep the producers from fu==ing the people that do the work.

God bless SAG/AFTRA and IATSE. My residuals are a large part of my income.
edit on 11-10-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
If you're talking about today's pop and rock "musicians," I agree.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

www.congress.gov...

I'm not an expert (in civics) and this seems to be about a month old but maybe this is what they are talking about?

edit on 10/11/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

link   
double post. my trigger finger gettin itchy

edit on 10/11/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: olaru12

Thats old noise, this is the "Music Meltdownization Act". Now the royalty checks go to nuclear power plant operators.

Thing is the racket they play on the corporate radio system is so increasingly lackluster and annoying the stuff just well may trigger a plant into a nuclear meltdown.

edit on 11-10-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join