It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Wisconsin conservative politics = irresponsibility

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I'm in Wisconsin, and with the upcoming governor's race, I just have to say that we're all screwed.
When I'm talking about conservative politics i'm talking about my neck of the woods, and not necessarily nationwide although it might apply to your area too.

We've had Scott Walker as governor since 2011.
Our roads are so terrible and neglected that local townships are having tax referendums to raise tax money to fix them. (i'm using roads as my example, but believe me this problem goes much deeper)
I equate it to a parent that wants to budget their money, so they don't get their child's tooth cavity fixed, which then
needs to be pulled at a much higher cost and long term consequences. This is exactly what is happening to our roads, our schools and our healthcare. I live in a very conservative voting area. So conservative that people can't see the forest for the trees. They are against any kind of spending, even spending that makes total sense. Would you let your car go without an oil change? Of course not. So why is it ok to let roads get to the point that there are three foot potholes, cracking, and it is basically disintegrating? My only thought is that these people are ok with passing the problem onto their children and grandchildren. Our town boasts about it's low low taxes, but you have to get new tires all the time, these kinds of costs savings, aren't savings.

I applaud President Trump for wanting to do more for our infrastructure than most recent presidents and not just by raising taxes. Maybe he can share some of his insight with Walker. In this regard I truly think Trump is a visionary, and different than most republican governors.

www.wisconsingazette.com... 113.html

US News and World Report has ranked Wisconsin’s road quality 49th out of the 50 states, and Walker’s

So now we have Tony Evers in the picture. He is the Democrat running against Scott Walker. Right now they are neck and neck.
He is the polar opposite of Walker and is all about "fixing" the problems left by Walker. Well you know what that means, tax, taxes and more tax hikes. He embodies the stereotype of Democrats by wanting to spend everyone money on everything and anything with no real budgeting or control.
Most schools are in a horrible financial condition because teachers and administrators are not business people.

So in our state, it is truly a choice of the lesser of two evils, two polar opposites, either budget, budget, budget at what cost, or spend spend spend at what cost? Like I said we're screwed.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I think that Texas as a state was what Walker modeled his tax reform from. I don't see any Texan's freaking out about roads. What are they doing that your state is doing wrong? I think Florida is the same.

My bet is that you have gotten the nepotistic government contractors out of your system yet. Missouri has this problem. Any road work or general public work has alot of palm grease and back scratching involved.

Anyway, I don't know enough about Wisconsin to judge your situation.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Fools

Has nothing to do with contractors.
Texas and Florida have great roads because you don't have the constant freeze thaw cycle we do.

Here roads require maintenance, without maintenance they literally crumble.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
It's been a few years since I've been in wisconsin, I'm by the border so it's only about a 20 minute drive from me. I used to love to take a trip over into wisconsin for the fantastic(where I went, not just the quality of the road, nice and curvy) roads.

The roads were way better than the ones we have, So either I used to find magic roads, or comparing a micro example of what may have been our worst roads(possible) to rural wisconsin roads of a particular county, is not indicative of the mean condition of your roads.

Random blurb, sorry.

Maybe tax your guy's cheese or something.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Roads in northern states are a bear to maintain for sure. Salt, freeze and thaw.

But let's be honest here, most states have issues with schools, roads and other infrastructure.
Wisconsin is not unique in that regard.
edit on 11-10-2018 by Bluntone22 because: Stupid auto correct

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Texas and Florida have great roads because you don't have the constant freeze thaw cycle we do.

we have near constant road maintenance here in my part of texas
and without state income tax
it is amazing

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22
I've lived all over the United States. Here are some of the places i've lived.
Washington State
Colorado
New York
Florida
Alabama
North Carolina
New Jersey
Illinois
Pennsylvania

Without hesitation, Wisconsin is the absolute worst when it comes to roads.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I'm in Wisconsin, and with the upcoming governor's race, I just have to say that we're all screwed.
When I'm talking about conservative politics i'm talking about my neck of the woods, and not necessarily nationwide although it might apply to your area too.

We've had Scott Walker as governor since 2011.
Our roads are so terrible and neglected that local townships are having tax referendums to raise tax money to fix them. (i'm using roads as my example, but believe me this problem goes much deeper)
I equate it to a parent that wants to budget their money, so they don't get their child's tooth cavity fixed, which then
needs to be pulled at a much higher cost and long term consequences. This is exactly what is happening to our roads, our schools and our healthcare. I live in a very conservative voting area. So conservative that people can't see the forest for the trees. They are against any kind of spending, even spending that makes total sense. Would you let your car go without an oil change? Of course not. So why is it ok to let roads get to the point that there are three foot potholes, cracking, and it is basically disintegrating? My only thought is that these people are ok with passing the problem onto their children and grandchildren. Our town boasts about it's low low taxes, but you have to get new tires all the time, these kinds of costs savings, aren't savings.

I applaud President Trump for wanting to do more for our infrastructure than most recent presidents and not just by raising taxes. Maybe he can share some of his insight with Walker. In this regard I truly think Trump is a visionary, and different than most republican governors.

www.wisconsingazette.com... 113.html

US News and World Report has ranked Wisconsin’s road quality 49th out of the 50 states, and Walker’s

So now we have Tony Evers in the picture. He is the Democrat running against Scott Walker. Right now they are neck and neck.
He is the polar opposite of Walker and is all about "fixing" the problems left by Walker. Well you know what that means, tax, taxes and more tax hikes. He embodies the stereotype of Democrats by wanting to spend everyone money on everything and anything with no real budgeting or control.
Most schools are in a horrible financial condition because teachers and administrators are not business people.

So in our state, it is truly a choice of the lesser of two evils, two polar opposites, either budget, budget, budget at what cost, or spend spend spend at what cost? Like I said we're screwed.

The issue is that spending needs to be put in check at all levels of government. The problem is that no matter what gets cut, somebody is going to complain. Government is highly inefficient at all levels.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

This isn't just my opinion,
There is actual research behind it:

National report: Half of Wisconsin's major roads are in poor or mediocre condition

madison.com... 5.html

Wisconsin ranks #49 in quality roads and #41 for transportation.

www.tdawisconsin.org...

www.pksd.com...

The study found a dramatic decline in the quality of the states roads over the last several years. Only 11 years ago, Wisconsin roads ranked 22nd in the nation for quality.

edit on 11-10-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

This!
"The poor condition of Milwaukee roads cost drivers $700 a year in extra vehicle repairs.
Madison roads cost drivers an additional $615 every year.
The national average for car maintenance is $377 per year."

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

a reply to: MisterSpock

This isn't just my opinion,
There is actual research behind it:

National report: Half of Wisconsin's major roads are in poor or mediocre condition

madison.com... 5.html

Wisconsin ranks #49 in quality roads and #41 for transportation.

www.tdawisconsin.org...

www.pksd.com...

The study found a dramatic decline in the quality of the states roads over the last several years. Only 11 years ago, Wisconsin roads ranked 22nd in the nation for quality.

so what government services are you going to cut to fund better road maintenance? If no cuts, whose pockets are you going to rob to raise more revenue to pay for it?

There is enough revenue, the issue is how it is being allocated and priorities.
edit on 11-10-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

We have a joke here in Indiana.
You dont need a sign saying welcome to michigan,
You can tell by the road...lol

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Not so fast there. In the territory I respond in, I have to take different routes in the Firetruck responding to call because of horrible roads.
There is a giant scam that’s been happening that nobody is paying much attention to.
#1 Tollroads replacing crappy highways. They let them get so bad and congested that once that toll road opens you damn near have to take it.
#2 Gated Communities. When a developer creates a nice “gated/exclusive” community, it means they don’t build the roads to city or county standards because the county does not maintain them. When they go to crap in 5 years the HOA is forced to fix them. Which usually means taking up extra money for 5 years until the next time.
It’s genius in a Dr. Evil kind of way.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Don't even get me started, one pocket we could reach into is Foxconn

"Foxconn plant could reduce road funding by $90 million
Funding for state road projects could be reduced as much as $90 million by mid-2019 in order to pay for roadwork related to the $10 billion Foxconn Technology Group plant in southeast Wisconsin."

Foxconn - Taiwanese company
money.cnn.com...
"The state's package is poised to give the company up to $3 billion in tax credits and breaks. It would be one of the biggest incentive packages ever promised a company to locate a plant in the United States. And, according to Wisconsin's estimates, it will take until at least 2043 for the state to recoup that lost tax revenue."

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

We could write an entire thread on HOAs ie - micro governments.

Just FYI, if anyone lives in an HOA I implore you to make sure you have umbrella insurance on your house.

There was a case where a pregnant tripped and was injured on a sprinkler in a common area of a neighborhood. She sued and won, and the homeowners were equally on the hook. The person doesn't even need to be from your neighborhood. If someone has a guest and they get hurt, you are on the hook. A lot of people don't realize that. Many HOA's are terribly mismanaged (similar to our government) and are ripe for lawsuits.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Don't even get me started, one pocket we could reach into is Foxconn

"Foxconn plant could reduce road funding by $90 million
Funding for state road projects could be reduced as much as $90 million by mid-2019 in order to pay for roadwork related to the $10 billion Foxconn Technology Group plant in southeast Wisconsin."

Foxconn - Taiwanese company
money.cnn.com...
"The state's package is poised to give the company up to $3 billion in tax credits and breaks. It would be one of the biggest incentive packages ever promised a company to locate a plant in the United States. And, according to Wisconsin's estimates, it will take until at least 2043 for the state to recoup that lost tax revenue."

Yeah, but how many jobs and other indirect revenue (Construction, etc) are they bringing to WI.

Governments are just inefficient. There is plenty of money, you just need someone with balls to actually cut what needs cutting so they priorities can be funded.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

I used Foxconn as an example, but if you don't live here you probably don't know all the details of how this isn't such a positive thing. (jobs/revenue)

urbanmilwaukee.com...
Much has been made of the taxpayers’ payback year, often estimated as 2044. However, since there is no net addition of jobs and with the likely loss of economic potential because the market is not permitted to do its job efficiently, a payback year simply doesn’t exist! The use of the payback formula in this context is a distraction: free market principles warn that taxpayers will never get their money back.

you just need someone with balls to actually cut what needs cutting

YES, this is exactly what we need, and what we aren't going to get

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

So what you're saying is that the collective voter in Wisconsin is the fat kid with two option: (A) Monsanto-produced fruits and vegetables that aren't providing enough caloric intake to maintain health, or (B) delicious, delicious cake.

In theory, the produce should be better, but the results aren't reflecting that because of extremist use of the tactic, so the apathetic fat kid will just want the cake, disregarding the known problems that will occur in the future.

That's the way that I see it, anyhow. Sucks for Wisconsin.

#NoIDon'tThinkEveryoneInWisconsinIsFatAlthoughCulver'sIsNotVeryHealthyButItIsDelicious

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

That is the best darn political analogy i've ever read! ha

The other thing is that we keep going from Monsanto fruit, to delicious, delicious cake,
The pendulum swinging back and forth...
So the voters have a violent eating disorder at this point.

What Wisconsin really needs is a salad with some bacon bits.

#WeNeedFatToSurviveOurWinters!

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I live in Wisconsin also. The roads always suck. Where I live they just did a 30 dollar tire tax, accessed the value of my house without looking at it. They added 30,000 to it. Guess what Democrats did this. Now Evers wants to mess with a gas tax and lord knows what else................no thanks. Ill hit a pothole and be happy.

edit on 11-10-2018 by Tarzan the apeman. because: Had to be done.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

Hey fight the assessment, seriously. As long as you aren't going to sell anytime soon, fight it.

It is very easy in Wisconsin as long as you follow the rules to a T regarding dates. Every town has different rules.
I've had my property taxes reduced significantly every single time, savings thousands over the years. One year they even tried to say I had an extra bathroom and add on, pffff

Most people don't fight it. I didn't even have to show up, they just automatically agreed with me and re-assessed it.

Our town toyed with the tire tax, but now they are just flat out asking for more road tax money via referendum.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join