It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dont Take the Moderates Seriously

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: NiNjABackflip

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: Blaine91555

Does it bother you because we can't be controlled as easily as partisans are?

As well it should.

For people who oppose ideologies, you all seem mighty content patting each other on the back whenever you have similar views.

We have ideologies. Just not the main two that get pushed.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBandit795

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: NiNjABackflip Does it bother you because we can't be controlled as easily as partisans are?

Exactly. As a moderate I'd rather think for myself than be riled up by some worthless politican who thinks she or he knows better than me what's best for me. I am not falling into the politics trap.

I agree with this video. It's childish and silly.

Politics is an essential component of democracy. Not so childish and silly.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: NiNjABackflip

When have I ever said I didn't have ideologies? Don't believe I ever have, but you go right ahead and look for it. Though I can save you time, I've got a whole bucketful of political ideology, some you'd agree with, some you would not. They just happen to fall on both sides of this political spectrum. Both left and right.

Fact of the matter, I don't think anyone in this thread has said any such thing.

In case you've missed it, Critical Stinker and I, while moderates, have disagreed on a number of issues...just as you and I have agreed on a number of them. Heck, I've even agreed with some of our more left swinging members...which I think is what drives this thread more than anything. The fact that some of us can agree with you, while on other subjects agree with those on the far side away from you...and that worries you to death, doesn't it?

As it damned well should. The true political power in this country has always lain with the quiet center, not the noisy wings. Y'all on both sides would do well to remember that.

edit on 10/11/2018 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

When have I ever said I didn't have ideologies? Don't believe I ever have, but you go right ahead and look for it. Though I can save you time, I've got a whole bucketful of political ideology, some you'd agree with, some you would not. They just happen to fall on both sides of this political spectrum. Both left and right.

Fact of the matter, I don't think anyone in this thread has said any such thing.

I was peaking generally. But having multiple political ideologies is pretty contradictory. A little bit of Marxism, a little bit of Liberalism?

I’m not worried, despite your projections that I am. I am fully confident I where my principles lie.
edit on 11-10-2018 by NiNjABackflip because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   

a reply to: NiNjABackflip Does it bother you because we can't be controlled as easily as partisans are?

Exactly. As a moderate I'd rather think for myself than be riled up by some worthless politican who thinks she or he knows better than me what's best for me. I am not falling into the politics trap.

There's more to politics than Democrat and Republican.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   

No childish and silly is always taking an automatic emotional, irrational standpoint. And always blindly following politicians and partisan media without question.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

No childish and silly is always taking an automatic emotional, irrational standpoint. And always blindly following politicians and partisan media without question.

I cannot disagree with you there. But you have to admit, it’s ironic that you used a video to convey it.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Not in a two-party system.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Our government isn't a 2 party system. There are 2 main parties, but there are several other parties as well. And a significant population of people who don't fall into any of the parties.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Only ironic in your opinion. The guy in the video has a great point. Doesn't mean I follow him blindly. Partisan extremists blindly follow everything their leaders say without question.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

a reply to: kelbtalfenek

Seems like you're completely supportive of revolution and tribalism/party croneyism here.

Who determines which extreme view is correct?

No I'm in support of the civic duty to engage in politics instead of running from it and trying to stifle those who do care about politics.

You're confusing moderates with the un-engaged. There's a HUGE difference.

An analogy would be trying to ask someone who is agnostic what their religious stance would be. How could you place someone on a spectrum they don't ideolically take part of.

No that's not the same. A moderate has moderate views...Like me for instance, I think SOME of the Democratic platform is decent and SOME of the Republican platform is decent. Thus I am a moderate.

An agnostic, in the political sense would be one who fails to see the good in either side.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Now you're just being dense.

Even though there are two main parties doesn't mean I have to write in stone I'll pick one side from here on out. Jesus dude.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

Fair enough, bad analogy.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Only ironic in your opinion. The guy in the video has a great point. Doesn't mean I follow him blindly. Partisan extremists blindly follow everything their leaders say without question.

It was my opinion, and I didn't mean to sound flippant. I'm not so cynical to believe that partisans blindly follow their leaders, mainly because such a claim is common bias and without evidence.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Now you're just being dense.

Even though there are two main parties doesn't mean I have to write in stone I'll pick one side from here on out. Jesus dude.

No one suggested you had to. Jesus dude.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: narrator

Our government isn't a 2 party system. There are 2 main parties, but there are several other parties as well. And a significant population of people who don't fall into any of the parties.

Two-party system, political system in which the electorate gives its votes largely to only two major parties and in which one or the other party can win a majority in the legislature. The United States is the classic example of a nation with a two-party system.

Two-Party system

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

CriticalStinker's point still stands. There's more to our politics than Democrat and Republican. Literally and figuratively. It's intellectually dishonest to claim otherwise.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: narrator

CriticalStinker's point still stands. There's more to our politics than Democrat and Republican. Literally and figuratively. It's intellectually dishonest to claim otherwise.

But your point doesn't stand.

You fail to mention the competing factions within the Democrats and Republicans. Even though they differ on a variety of stances, for instance between Hillary and Sanders, they were/are still in the same party. The futures of these parties will have been decided without your help.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

But your point doesn't stand.

You fail to mention the competing factions within the Democrats and Republicans. Even though they differ on a variety of stances, for instance between Hillary and Sanders, they were/are still in the same party.

My point does stand. I wasn't referring to the literal definition of a two party system. I was referring to the fact that the US has more than 2 political parties.

But, even using the literal definition, there's still more to politics than Democrat and Republican. They're the 2 main parties, sure. But according to Wikipedia, there are 40 national political parties in the US. And a ton of people that don't claim any particular party. Therefore, literally, there's more to it it than D and R.

As for the competing factions within the same party (take Republicans for example): There are different factions within the party because some Rs are more extreme in their beliefs, and some Rs are more moderate. Moderates that are taking a stand for what they believe in, and trying to enhance the political climate with their beliefs. All good things.

ETA to your ETA: Without my help? I'm allowed to vote on Democratic issues. And I'm allowed to vote on Republican issues. And I do, for both of those things. That doesn't make me a Democrat or Republican though.

You're still focused on an inaccurate definition of Moderate. Being moderate doesn't mean that we don't do anything politically.
edit on 11-10-2018 by narrator because: eta to his eta

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   

That's fair.

I've been told time and time again that the moderate, maybe they mean the independent, is the biggest voting block in the country (and for some reason that I'm scared of this fact). Yet here we are with the two-party system.

You're still focused on an inaccurate definition of Moderate. Being moderate doesn't mean that we don't do anything politically.

I just want to stress that when I was using the term "moderate" in the OP, I wasn't speaking strictly of political moderates. MLK's "white moderates", for example, essentially agreed with MLK, but that they tried to convince him to wait until the time was right so as not to disturb the established order, lest they get a little more uncomfortable.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join