It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dont Take the Moderates Seriously

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Moderates don't stifle debate. Moderates tell the partisans when they are looking and acting like lunatics. We don't get a choice...no candidates are offered who truly embrace moderate viewpoints. All we get are liars that move to the middle to pander to votes.

They do stifle debate. I gave the MLK example, and the Stewart example. The moderates in both these cases would rather everyone shut up.

You do get a choice, except you choose not to choose. The moderates, through their absence, let others determine who is embracing what viewpoints.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: NiNjABackflip

You're not happy enough with the division that you want to attack the moderates. All there is is political conflict that ensures half the voting population will always be unhappy. It's mindlessly negative like a forever war.

There's no need to stir up hostility and yet here you are acting like it's an honorable pursuit. It's mindless and ultimately hopeless so I pity your screwed up worldview.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

By definition, I am saying no one will make any determinations for me.

So if the balance is tipped more towards one side or the other, what happens to your moderation then?

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: SilverOwls

You're not happy enough with the division that you want to attack the moderates. All there is is political conflict that ensures half the voting population will always be unhappy. It's mindlessly negative like a forever war.

There's no need to stir up hostility and yet here you are acting like it's an honorable pursuit. It's mindless and ultimately hopeless so I pity your screwed up worldview

You want unity, you can find it in North Korea or Saudi Arabia.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

moderation is intellectual cowardice disguised as the voice of reason. We should not take hem seriously. 

gotta be the dumbest remark on ats in a while.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   

So if the balance is tipped more towards one side or the other, what happens to your moderation then?

If??? No if about. That's exactly what our left/right paradigm is all about!!! And that's exactly why freedom demands eternal vigilance. Because there's always someone trying to force their will on the rest of us.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

moderation is intellectual cowardice disguised as the voice of reason. We should not take hem seriously. 

And I doubt you could say why.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

If??? No if about. That's exactly what our left/right paradigm is all about!!! And that's exactly why freedom demands eternal vigilance. Because there's always someone trying to force their will on the rest of us.

Yes, and in the cases I outlined, it was the moderates who sought to stifle the debate, trying to force their will on the rest of us.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Yes, and in the cases I outlined, it was the moderates who sought to stifle the debate, trying to force their will on the rest of us.

Anyone trying to force their will on others is an extremist... "All ways are my ways."

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Anyone trying to force their will on others is an extremist... "All ways are my ways."

An extremist is someone who holds radical or extreme political views, like Martin Luther King for example.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: NiNjABackflip
As history shows, in times when the radical and extreme views are the only correct ones, moderation is intellectual cowardice disguised as the voice of reason. We should not take hem seriously.

What? This doesn't make any sense. Radical and extreme views of today in America: Antifa on the left, Neo-Nazis on the right. Since, in your estimation, one of those is definitely correct and history will show that it is, I feel the need to ask the question: Which one of those belief structures do you think is the correct way to think?

Shouldn't we strive to be somewhere between those two lines of thought? You know, a more...moderate...viewpoint?

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

And I doubt you could say why.

i doubt you could understand why...
lets not do this.

edit on 11-10-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: narrator

What? This doesn't make any sense. Radical and extreme views of today in America: Antifa on the left, Neo-Nazis on the right. Since, in your estimation, one of those is definitely correct and history will show that it is, I feel the need to ask the question: Which one of those belief structures do you think is the correct way to think?

Shouldn't we strive to be somewhere between those two lines of thought? You know, a more...moderate...viewpoint?

I never said "one of those is definitely correct". I said "in times when the radical and extreme views are the only correct ones".

link   

Are we in one of those times now?

link   

An extremist is someone who holds radical or extreme political views, like Martin Luther King for example.

Demanding equal application of the law and due process for all is not extremist... It's the organic and Constitutional legal standard.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Demanding equal application of the law and due process for all is not extremist... It's the organic and Constitutional legal standard.

It was extremist at the time. MLK was labelled an extremist. Again, from Letter from a Birmingham Jail:

"“So the question is not whether we will be extremists, but what kind of extremists we will be. Will we be extremists for hate or for love? Will we be extremists for the preservation of injustice or for the extension of justice? In that dramatic scene on Calvary's hill three men were crucified. We must never forget that all three were crucified for the same crime--the crime of extremism. Two were extremists for immorality, and thus fell below their environment. The other, Jesus Christ, was an extremist for love, truth and goodness, and thereby rose above his environment.”

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: narrator

Are we in one of those times now?

I wouldn't say so, no. The extremists are, as you mentioned, not the most palatable positions.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Like you're doing now? You can't even keep up with your own points, what makes you think you're going to convince anyone of them if you can't keep it linear?

If anything you're making people not want to associate with whatever you represent.

Notice no one is coming to back you up, because who would?

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

a reply to: narrator

I never said "one of those is definitely correct". I said "in times when the radical and extreme views are the only correct ones".

Like Hitler, Stalin, Mao? Want me to continue?

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Like you're doing now? You can't even keep up with your own points, what makes you think you're going to convince anyone of them if you can't keep it linear?

If anything you're making people not want to associate with whatever you represent.

Notice no one is coming to back you up, because who would?

Why would I seek backup? My arguments still stand whether you dismiss them or not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join