It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dont Take the Moderates Seriously

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: NiNjABackflip

What a bunch of weasel word nonsense. I'm certainly not a "moderate" because I have very strong and definite opinions. But I'll play and I'll make this real simple: Extremists on any "side" want to impose their will on me and I won't have it. No compromise. No lesser of two evils. Just no... a big fat NO.

Call me what you want but the end result is the same. I don't care if you're telling me who I cannot marry or if you're telling me who I must bake a cake for. Nor do I care what you label yourself.

But know this: You're not the boss of me. Do as you will for YOURSELF and by YOURSELF and leave the rest of us to do the same.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Methinks the OP is afraid of moderates.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that law and order exist for the purpose of establishing justice and that when they fail in this purpose they become the dangerously structured dams that block the flow of social progress. I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that the present tension in the South is a necessary phase of the transition from an obnoxious negative peace, in which the Negro passively accepted his unjust plight, to a substantive and positive peace, in which all men will respect the dignity and worth of human personality. Actually, we who engage in nonviolent direct action are not the creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive. We bring it out in the open, where it can be seen and dealt with. Like a boil that can never be cured so long as it is covered up but must be opened with all its ugliness to the natural medicines of air and light, injustice must be exposed, with all the tension its exposure creates, to the light of human conscience and the air of national opinion before it can be cured.

MLK- Letters to a Birmingham Jail

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

My political opinions change all the time based on a world changing constantly. Ive voted Democrat and republican and I can tell you truth does not come from one source. This country was founded on compromise and is very much a lost art

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

What a bunch of weasel word nonsense. I'm certainly not a "moderate" because I have very strong and definite opinions. But I'll play and I'll make this real simple: Extremists on any "side" want to impose their will on me and I won't have it. No compromise. No lesser of two evils. Just no... a big fat NO.

Call me what you want but the end result is the same. I don't care if you're telling me who I cannot marry or if you're telling me who I must bake a cake for. Nor do I care what you label yourself.

But know this: You're not the boss of me. Do as you will for YOURSELF and by YOURSELF and leave the rest of us to do the same.

If you forever remain in the middle you let others determine for you where the middle is. That’s your purgatory.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

I don’t fear intellectual cowardice and those that scurry from politics only to turn around and concern troll others taking part in it. I find it annoying, frankly.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
As the saying goes.

Take everything in m o d e r a t i o n.

Even moderation?

Even replying to posts.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: NiNjABackflip
a reply to: CriticalStinker

They should have a problem with being a moderate for the exact same reasons I stated.

People should "gang up" just so they can feel socially relevant? How dishonest with oneself must one be to descend into a fray just so that social relevance can be had?

The moderates...are the lifes blood of this nation. The moderates are who everyone wants to woo with their far right/far left rhetoric. Come election time, they all tone it down and move towards the middle to attract the moderates.

I'd say that the moderates aren't the problem...their complete lack of representation is the problem. If candidates have to move to the middle to get votes...that should say something about our system. To wallow in dishonesty for the sake of political expediency should not be applauded and rewarded.

Essentially, blaming The People for their complete lack of choices just falls flat. Its not the moderates that screwed up anything....we don't even get a voice. We only get lip service when on the campaign trail.

link   

Jon Stewart is one of the funniest people. He's on point, and sharp.

link   

If you forever remain in the middle you let others determine for you where the middle is. That’s your purgatory.

Moderates tend not to be as vocal as extremists. And there's a helluva lot more of us. We aren't "determined" by anyone. We allow flux in our political views as times change. The only ones that are "determined" are the extremists by themselves.

No purgatory here. Even so better than the hell of being a screaming nutbar with high blood pressure.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

I don’t fear intellectual cowardice and those that scurry from politics only to turn around and concern troll others taking part in it. I find it annoying, frankly.

Intellectual cowardice is not being able to hear views that aren't completely in line with your own.

Something I think you have an intimate understanding of.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

a reply to: CriticalStinker

They should have a problem with being a moderate for the exact same reasons I stated.

People should "gang up" just so they can feel socially relevant? How dishonest with oneself must one be to descend into a fray just so that social relevance can be had?

The moderates...are the lifes blood of this nation. The moderates are who everyone wants to woo with their far right/far left rhetoric. Come election time, they all tone it down and move towards the middle to attract the moderates.

I'd say that the moderates aren't the problem...their complete lack of representation is the problem. If candidates have to move to the middle to get votes...that should say something about our system. To wallow in dishonesty for the sake of political expediency should not be applauded and rewarded.

Essentially, blaming The People for their complete lack of choices just falls flat. Its not the moderates that screwed up anything....we don't even get a voice. We only get lip service when on the campaign trail.

Social relevance? Not sure what you’re going on about. I said the moderates stifle the debate and are so devoted to order that they forget about any principle in order to attain it.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Intellectual cowardice is not being able to hear views that aren't completely in line with your own.

Something I think you have an intimate understanding of.

You’d think wrongly. I’d suspect that isn’t the first time.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Moderates tend not to be as vocal as extremists. And there's a helluva lot more of us. We aren't "determined" by anyone. We allow flux in our political views as times change. The only ones that are "determined" are the extremists by themselves.

No purgatory here. Even so better than the hell of being a screaming nutbar with high blood pressure.

There is no problem with being silent, just don’t yell for others to stop the debate while doing so.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Moderates don't stifle debate. Moderates tell the partisans when they are looking and acting like lunatics. We don't get a choice...no candidates are offered who truly embrace moderate viewpoints. All we get are liars that move to the middle to pander to votes.

The problem you are pointing out is that moderates, the vast majority of this nation, wants different debates than what is offered by the 2 parties. We don't care about gay cakes. We think the gender fixation in this nation is morose. We don't like having less money to spend in order to support more pork for insurers. You partisans just bicker about stupid crap and ignore what matters to people not under the spell of a full moon.

"Social relevance"...i.e., a lack of appropriate enough virtue signalling to allow you to participate in said "debate" without being accused of stifling said ridiculousness.

Should we now go back to arguing over whether Trump is a mysogynist now? It seems to be such a relevant debate for us to have as a nation. I'd hate to stifle it.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   
More like don't take the extremists seriously. They want to pull us all into their own personal hell. Misery does love company after all.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy
More like don't take the extremists seriously. They want to pull us all into their own personal hell. Misery does love company after all.

What's funny is it's not even being hyperbolic to say OP is saying only extremists are right...

As history shows, in times when the radical and extreme views are the only correct ones, moderation is intellectual cowardice disguised as the voice of reason. We should not take hem seriously.
From OP.

As history shows, they are the only wrong ones too, that killed untold scores of people.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

As I oh so clearly stated, I have very strong and definite position on the matter:

Extremists on any "side" want to impose their will on me and I won't have it. No compromise. No lesser of two evils. Just no... a big fat NO. 

By definition, I am saying no one will make any determinations for me.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I don't see much has changed!
Around the table discussion...especially on American TV, [but by no means exclusive] is so much so a shouting match that the only moderating influence is for one to switch off, since the gist is lost in the false grist.
Thing is, talking about things is the real moderation, until that happens the status quo reigns supreme, and quite honestly, it's time for all those in government to start talking to each other, perhaps even having serious talks about changes to the constitution that appears to have become antiquated in today's world.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

I disagree wholly with your last sentence, but glossing over that I can only say that no meaningful debates that effect our country can happen if we are mired down in social justice causes.

Its one thing to have a judicial debate. But to ignore the real issues (stagnant wages, income disaparity, healthcare, etc) we have to actually have those conversations instead of gakes.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join