It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Classic rock radio.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Im a classic rock listener/fan. But I do have some issues w/ the stations that play it.
(PD refers to program director, the guy responsible for the playlists)

--ENOUGH LED ZEPPELIN ! Yes they were a 'fair' band (at best). But 1 or 2 zep songs every hour? I read somewhere that Stairway To Heaven gets 1500 plays daily in the USA. At any given time its on a minimum of 2 stations. LZ wouldnt be so bad if you played the deep cuts

--2 songs, then anywhere from 5 to 12 minutes of ads. Last week a local station promised me some Dio era Sabbath as I was leaving for work. Drove for 10 minutes before they played the song.

--Play deeper cuts, we've heard the same 5-6 songs by each artist many times. Instead of RnR all nite by KISS, why not 2000 man or firehouse? Your audience wants this.

--REQUESTS Dont say that you want our requests via email, FB, etc., then acknowledge my req for Montrose, then play a whole block of crap before you finally play the wrong song.

--There ard more than 10-12 great artists. LZ isnt even close

--Your morning drfive hosts need to stop talking so darn much. Weather, headlines, time. Thats it.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Brywilson2
FM needs to go back to its roots, when it was really cool to listen to.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I thought this rant was going to be about classic rock stations playing Wham and 90's pop

But fair enough...I agree.

You only hear the same 3-4 songs from any given artist

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Try streaming The Wall 101.7 you can find it at Fingerlakesdailynews.com

Disclaimer, i am the chief engineer/network manager for them, but our PD has really crushed it.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Lol, all we need is another classic rock station called the bear or the goat.....

Our local station is the bear....ha

We used to joke around that when stairway or freebird came on the radio, the DJ needed to take a dump....

Our station mixes up the lineup pretty good for the most part. They drop in some new stuff like fuzzy and gretta van fleet but still thrown in some dio and Metallica.

My biggest complaint is that they play a specific ozzy song every damn day.

"Over the mountain"

Wtf? It's not even one of his better songs..

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   
To be fair Stairway to Heaven was played 1500 times a day when it was new .

But I completely agree with you on the repetition of many songs . Certain songs are played so often that occasionally you can catch the same song playing on two different stations at the same time .

Oh and they need to play more Rush.
edit on 11-10-2018 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-10-2018 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
I thought this rant was going to be about classic rock stations playing Wham and 90's pop

But fair enough...I agree.

You only hear the same 3-4 songs from any given artist

Lol, these are the "classics" now.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

But honestly, most stations only have the licenses for certain songs/artists.

Try a streaming service or Apple car music! You'll be way happier.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   

For relatively cheap (if you don't have one already), you can get a radio receiver that can, either via cable or Bluetooth, play your own playlists from many sources.

This would stop you from having to complain about something like this.

That said, I agree with your complaints, because I'm too cheap to replace the radio unit in my '02 Ranger with one that can play music from my phone.

I do, however, still use CDs in my truck when I'm tired of hearing the same songs played over and over on the radio.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
IHeart Radio - Q95 streams out of Indy.
Bob and Tom in the morning and good ol Rock and Roll the rest of the day.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
'Rocky Mountain Way' is not the only song Joe Walsh ever made.
Believe it or not.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
This rant could be based on any modern day music radio station. It's the same for pop, country, urban, etc... That's why I stopped listening to music radio a long time ago. I have thousands of songs and playlists on my phone that I can play over bluetooth not to mention all of the streaming options. Music radio is a non factor.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Classic rock stations and many FM stations don’t make sense to me.

My local classic rock station has been on the air since the 70s.

Still has the exact same play list.

Foreigner, Journey, AC/DC, LED Zep, etc. and all the repeat “ top songs “ of those type bands.

OVER 40 YEARS and really no CHANGE.

How do they make money with ads?

Are people actually listening or is just a matter having to have a station on in your car and ratings are constant?

Anyone privy to how much a local station would get for a prime 30 second ad?

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I couldn't agree with you more. The Classic Rock station around here, I often refer to as, "The Led Zeppelin" station. It's damn near ridiculous how much Zep they play.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I havn't listened to radio stations in 8 years.
If your car doesn't have bluetooth or an aux jack buy a bluetooth fm transmitter.

The only people who should be listening to radio are prison inmates.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I only listen to college and university radio. You never know what you're gonna hear when you turn on the radio.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
'Rocky Mountain Way' is not the only song Joe Walsh ever made.
Believe it or not.

I'm still waiting to hear that one! Can only get Life's Been Good from radio play.

edit on 11-10-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Have you all ever noticed that on say Memorial weekend or New years they do a top 500 countdown?

They should do that all year long. I swear I hear songs I haven't heard in years when they do that.

I was born in 1960 so I know classic rock because I was there when it came out new....lol

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

That's not true. Radio stations pay an annual fee, actually multiple fees to ASCAP, SESAC, and whole host of artist,writers, and performers guild's all based on the annual ad revenue. They do not pay a fee for each song. Use to have to keep a daily log of songs played that was approximate to what was actually aired, this log determined the approximate number of times any song was played, which determined the proceeds for artist and writers compensation.

Ten minutes is actually good for a request, takes that long to find a slot, remember you are not the only person making request so I am impressed. As for Stairway to Heaven being over played, it was, back when records were used it was a good song at 8 minutes plus depending on which version as lots of songs have radio mixes, to take a smoke break or yes for a bathroom break. Nothing like a mad dash back to the studio to start the next song. I am impressed you were able to actual have someone pick up the phone as 9 out 10 times, every line is on hold since shows are prerecorded now days.

Most local PD's have little input to playlist, almost all done by corporate committees now days. Radio has changed dramatically, almost to the point of being dead. They don't wanna pay jocks anymore, lots of shows are not even local anymore. Radio has always been designed to capture as many as they can and keep them listening, so you want a recognizable song playing every time someone turns it on. Commercials or ads are how the bills get paid and it's not much anymore, competition from the internet, newspapers, and television is fierce.

I am hopefully that it will return, local ownership is a must but deregulation back in the 90's changed it to corporate entities owning and controlling every station in a market. Some markets are totally owned by two massive media companies that own 200 plus all across the country and they could care less about what's on the air other than ads and lots of them.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

That is the great thing about music...

l'll take Pink Floyd, The Animals, Led Zepplin or Sabbath over Kiss 100% of the time just like to say that LZ arent a top 10 classic rock band is something that makes no sense to me and im not even a huge fan of theirs.

All that being said Google Play Music, Pandora , Amazon Music , take your pick on any of the other services and you have an endless supply or songs from which you can build your own classic rock station.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join