It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure, NASA/Roscosmos crew escape

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

As I noted earlier, aborted launches seldom go well. They were fantastically lucky to survive!

Too many things can go wrong, things are moving at extremely high velocities and forces are extreme. Even the slightest aerodynamic anomaly or orientation issue can exert incredible forces on things which aren't designed to endure, including the human occupants. I've been waiting to see if an interview would come out with the American on-board. I'm sure they got slammed around HARD! I saw one report which said their entire "ballistic descent" subjected them to 7g's the whole way (WOW!) until the chutes opened. Then there's the landing, which on the Soyuz craft is a pretty violent experience even on a normal mission.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
They would have been in free-fall until the parachute opens, so I wonder why people are saying the experienced 7g all the way down. But the parachute opening must've been a jolt from hell.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Candidly, I didn't quite understand that either, but the fella who said this is a pretty credible space / rocket blogger.

Let me see if I can find the video again. I think he's Irish or Scottish or something. If I find it again I'll post it.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I guess you guys are not playing KSP

According to the internet the capsule had a speed of 1842 m/s and altitude 57km at separation. At that height there is pretty much no atmosphere. So it would have continued going up ballistically, reaching maybe 100 km. Then it would fall at a steeper angle than usual and hit the denser atmosphere layers pretty hard. That is when you would feel the 7g or more.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join