It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure, NASA/Roscosmos crew escape

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Here's a tidbit of space trivia... (a bit of irony too given the OP)

Did you know the US space program is directly responsible for one of the single biggest safety improvements in automobiles we drive every day? This particular invention has led to an over 1000% improvement (maybe more) in crash survivability.

Can you guess what it is???

Yep, car airbags. You might ask what airbags have to do with space. Well, the triggers that deploy airbags in a car are miniaturized explosive devices, the very same types of explosive devices which are used to separate rocket stages just on a much smaller scale. In fact, it was car airbag trigger production which provided the necessary cover for the highly classified production of the explosive systems which separate stages on rockets.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

What makes you think they're being secretive, rather than just being cautious? The mission control footage is for the ISS in Houston, not launch control in Baikonur, and the translator is having to play catch-up with what's going on.

Would make sense for whoever is the voice on the TV not to make any snap judgements about what's happening, perhaps making statements that could prejudice an enquiry or alarm families, and try and be circumspect with their statements.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I'm watching Russian TV news, and by the sound of it, there was a problem with the separation of the four strap-on boosters (stage 1), which damaged the 2nd stage somehow, causing it to shut down.

In the cabin footage, you can see the astronauts being shaken violently after the boosters separate, and shortly after they reported being weightless.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: C0bzz

seemed pretty calm, cool and collected.

wonder what this will do for a kick in the but to NASA so we can stop buying a seat at a premium from Russia.

at least these guys can say they survived a launch malfunction and apparently got to zero g and back

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
I'm watching Russian TV news, and by the sound of it, there was a problem with the separation of the four strap-on boosters (stage 1), which damaged the 2nd stage somehow, causing it to shut down.

In the cabin footage, you can see the astronauts being shaken violently after the boosters separate, and shortly after they reported being weightless.

You can also see quite a bit of what might be debris falling from the spacecraft right after the booster separation (at the 1:13 mark in the OP's video, about the same time the crew was shown being jostled).

I don't know enough about it to know if that was debris, or all of that stuff was just part of the normal booster separation, but it could be a sign of something that went wrong.

edit on 11/10/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

I think the jostling is the escape system triggering and separating them from the rocket.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: C0bzz

BUMMER!!!!!! Imagine the let-down for the two astronauts who were expecting to be in space for the next 6 months.

I know they must be totally grateful to have made it out of the malfunction alive.

But I bet in moments of quiet they're thinking "Damn it."

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

FCD! You're The Man, man!

I am not doubting you- but I had no idea about the sound from a launch killing everything within a few miles. What the hell? Why didn't we all know this?!

So when we see footage of people in Florida, sitting in bleachers watching a launch, I guess they are more than two miles away? Are there just a bunch of dead animals and birds all over the place within the two mile radius after launches in Florida? Do they send something like a NASA roadkill cleanup crew around the area afterwards? Also, does it affect the fish in the ocean/bay nearby? Do dead fish turn up for a while after?

This is a fascinating little fact I had no clue about! Thanks FCD.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

2 miles is about as close as you can get depending on which pad they're using and what type of rocket they're launching. There's one location which is only 1.9 miles from pad 39-B, but it is often closed for the heavy launches. Most of the viewing areas are 3.5 miles or more.

ETA - they do a pretty good job chasing most of the wildlife off in the danger area before a launch. A few seagulls get roasted though.

edit on 10/11/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   
At 1:13:50 you hear a woman with an accent say something something "emergency" and then "the failure of the booster." She says "failure of the booster" a few more times in the background, while the American woman commentator is chirping away.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

2 miles is about as close as you can get depending on which pad they're using and what type of rocket they're launching. There's one location which is only 1.9 miles from pad 39-B, but it is often closed for the heavy launches. Most of the viewing areas are 3.5 miles or more.

Thank you! So what about all the dead animals?

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: OneBigMonkeyToo

Then why cut the feed???

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
_www.rt.com...

Don't worry ISS space debris, the EU is coming to save you soon with its special manned mission with Spaceship Hermes.
Yes, that one ... it's now almost ready to rock as it's been under development since 1991 ... it should be ready for launch ... hemmm ... soon!

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

They set off sirens before a launch to chase away as much wild life as possible. If you watch any video of a launch you will always see birds flying because they are being "shooed" away. It happens like 3 or 4 times prior to a launch up to a few days before (random times so the animals do not get used to it).

I knew they did that but did not know why (that there is a kill zone radius. Thanks, FCD).

As for your question (not trying to be mean or anything)...

I will ask you: What do you do with dead wild animals in the wild?

Geezus! Those guys were so calm! You are sitting on top of a controlled detonation and the best you can do is, "Gee, that was a short ride"!

How would one say, "I peed myself" in Russian?!

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Then why cut the feed???

Did they?

This site shows broadcasting continuing for some time after the OP one ended

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Especially when you consider they're going nearly Mach 4 within 60 seconds of launch!

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 05:14 AM
link   
The soyuz emergency escape system has proven its capabilities way more visibly than other space launch systems, such as the US Space Shuttle and the Europen manned launch sys.... hemm DUH!

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: wildespace

You can also see quite a bit of what might be debris falling from the spacecraft right after the booster separation (at the 1:13 mark in the OP's video, about the same time the crew was shown being jostled).

I don't know enough about it to know if that was debris, or all of that stuff was just part of the normal booster separation, but it could be a sign of something that went wrong.

It's the four strap-on boosters falling away chaotically (instead of creating the beautiful symmetric "Korolyev cross"). One other object is the escape system tower ejected shortly before.

Here's a screenshot:

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I just spotted something in the footage. After the booster separation, the whole rocket started to yaw sideways!

I wander how close did it come to disintegrating due to aerodynamics and eneven forces...

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Then why cut the feed???

They did not cut the feed. The OP’s video just didn’t show the rest of it, but I was watching the NASA TV feed for at leasst a couple of hours past when the O P’s video ended.

They stayed on the air past the time that they told us the rescue team got to the capsule and the crew were put on the helicopter to fly back to Baikunor.

edit on 13/10/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join