It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOW Sinks Over 800 Points Today; Futures Down Over 1,000 for Tomorrow

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
The best time to buy in to the market are on days like this with big drops.

Amazon is down $300 a share from it's high.

Google is down $200 a share from it's high.

And so on.

Or you could be catching a falling knife...

Of course, if anyone could really read the tea leaves they'd be major traders making millions per year. Most of the professionals can barely beat the market.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: FamCore

From what I've read, many are speculating that this trend has to do with US and China trade talks, and the FED's decision to raise interest rates, but more importantly indicating that more raises are to come in the future.

The latter is probably the case IMO, large companies are going to aim at aggressively dealing with any debt on the books, which will mean growth in stock won't be as lucrative as it has been.

If it drops much more by week's close, I bet there is a strong open next week to buy cheap(ish) stocks once things start to settle down.

I'm in agreement here. I too am thinking the beginning of next week we will start to see the market recover and begin to rise again.

I'm watching very closely for upticks. I have a few that im going to do a double buy back on. I'm about to make some nice returns come January....hopefully

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

originally posted by: odzeandennz

thanks Obama.

We disagree often, but thanks for the chuckle.

if the pompus twit takes credit for the good, he must take credit for the bad. but i doubt 0bama will ever take credit for anything bad...

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
The best time to buy in to the market are on days like this with big drops.

Amazon is down $300 a share from it's high.

Google is down $200 a share from it's high.

And so on.

DOW Futures are down 1,044 points as I speak.. if you were hoping to load up in either of those positions it would likely be a bad move Futures Charts

ETA! MarketWatch and CNBC messed up and MarketWatch retracted the statement that DOW futures are down over 1,000 points for tomorrow, however CNBC's futures charts still show DOW down 1,044 points tomorrow (I think their system is messing up with the math or something though).
edit on 10-10-2018 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The DOW is up 1,000 in the last 2 months.
All depends on perspective.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Stocks get inflated when corporations have huge buybacks due to the windfall from tax breaks. The buybacks are slowing down now and the stock prices will tank.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Speedtek
Stocks get inflated when corporations have huge buybacks due to the windfall from tax breaks. The buybacks are slowing down now and the stock prices will tank.

Don't panic...trump can fix it with a snap of his fingers. Remember he's a business man!!!

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Watch Ford and similar. Those tax cuts were undermined by tariffs (Ford was particularly blunt about that as a reason for layoffs) I expect a domino effect -- when a biggie starts heavy employee trimming, that's less income (and thus disposable cash) and less sales all around for them as an industry. The auto bubble is beginning to burst, IMO.
edit on 10/10/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
time magazine cover in 1988 said a get ready for a new currency 10-10-18. I wonder if it spooked people and they sold?

Or it could it actually be the currency reset?

edit on 10-10-2018 by booyakasha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Don't panic...trump can fix it with a snap of his fingers. Remember he's a business man!!!
Sounds like somebody's jelly

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: booyakasha

Interesting video, some thread on ATS said there will be a mini-war, quick and deadly between China and the US soon. Then the reserve currency will revert to the Chinese Yuan instead of the $.

Seems like they are ramping up for a confrontation between US/China.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
The yearly high for the Dow back on January 21, 2018 was 26616.71
The theoretical double top was 3 percent above that or 27,415.21..
No one guaranteed we would get the whole 798.5...
Last month on the 30th the Dow opened at 26,598 and made the actual yearly high of 26,951.81.
Maybe we don't get the remaining 463 points this year?

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   
guess the market realizes that the debt to income ratio is more a bigger issue than they thought

been trying to tell you guys that the debt bubble is fuggin HUGE

raise interest rates and stop the easy money POP GOES THE BUBBLE, when you only make enough money to take out debt and not actually buy anything the easy money can't stop

this is an issue with wages

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Were you watching any stocks? Is volume down?

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I noticed the dip at the 400 mark about halfway through the day. Ugh -- I hope we're not in for a bumpy market ride.

The only people who prosper in a down market are the ones who have more money than I'll ever have.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: icanteven

the people who prosper in a down market are the people who buy at the bottom and sell at the top and there's a lot that do it

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

The problem is, you don't know that you have hit bottom until you look back in time. And, there are no guarantees about how long downturns will last. It could be months, weeks or years.

The macroeconomy is one complex beast

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
An 800 point swing just isn't that big of an impact anymore. Sorry.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

The auto industry is a good indicator of things to come.

Personally I think it is the automotive industry that has us teetering on a crash at the moment. Banks also, obviously, with the predatory lending in the automotive sector this time.

Who the hell ever heard of a 10 year, 29% APR auto loan? They now exist. That is a loan that shouldn't be given.

On the other hand, you have artificial inflation of vehicle MSRP causing the need for such insane loan terms.

Cars and education loans will be the cause of the next crash.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Individual contributions to managed brokerage accounts are down 45% year over year which is rather odd.
Did they need the money because of retirement expenses?
Did they invest in fixed income products like bonds instead?
So maybe this was the big money management firms making adjustments because of a lack of new money.
The Japanese market is not following through with a market crash from their double top, Nikkei is up 98 points now.
The US Dow futures are down 120 additional points..
edit on 10-10-2018 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join