It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portland Police Want To Charge Driver With Crimes After Escaping Mob Protest

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

originally posted by: Kryties
a reply to: loam

Was it a planned protest with no-go zones for cars that the driver ignored?

Even if it was, that is no excuse to start beating on the mans personal property or putting him and others well being on the line. People take wrong turns all the time, this is just insanity.

Yeah, a wrong turn like that bloke who rammed that other protest and killed people?

I can see why the crowd would be nervous.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Here is another prospective.

From what I've read, local news reports that the protesters did indeed block off traffic in that road, for that the local police need to get involved, and at that point hand out citations for disorderly or something similar. Your right to protest doesn't mean you can impede on someone else's day. Some of us have to get to and form work ect.

That said, the guy clearly just pushes through them, in this video you can see he just goes right through the crowd. Just because someone is blocking a road, doesn't give you a right to push through them. Two wrongs don't make a right legally.

Local news reports that there is an investigation, the driver filed a police report claiming 3,000 dollars in damage, and they are investigating both angles, no protesters have reached out to claim they are victims.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   
is a collapsible baton legal in Portland? if not, or even if it is why the f..k is not an issue for the police that one of those animals actually waving one in the OP video...

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

To be honest it’s probably not the police officers fault. I’m sure they had orders from the top not to interfere .

Indeed.

Some have asked why police didn't step in when the protesters stopped traffic. Burley said the police bureau’s inaction came after much consideration, including how best keep the public safe.

“From past experience, the Police Bureau recognizes introducing officers into some of these events can have the opposite effect of what we want it to have,” said Burley.
l ocal news link

They are afraid of creating a riot situation. I can understand where they are coming from, but they are setting a stage where the protesters can basically do what they want, anyone else has to figure out how to mitigate the situation.

As a tax payer, I would be pretty mad in the area if protesters could just block traffic without police intervention. Since when can someone else push their agenda on me and block my right to move freely?

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

Yeah, a wrong turn like that bloke who rammed that other protest and killed people?

Yep, nothing smarter than running after a moving car ,especially when you are nervous about getting run over by a car?

LOL [shake head]

At no time is it a SMART or GOOD idea to chase after a moving car, especially with a mob? It not only puts your life at danger , it also puts others life at danger.
edit on 381031America/ChicagoWed, 10 Oct 2018 09:38:05 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
And, here are these "brave" protesters harassing an elderly woman in a wheelchair. She is a resident of the apartment building where they are protesting. They are using a bullhorn all day, right below all of these apartments. She went down to ask them to stop using the bullhorn, not to stop protesting and voicing their cause. Hwoever, they felt the need to try to shame her and shout her down.

Link to video of Portland protesers harassing elderly woman in wheelchair

Real nice people, huh?

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Necrobile

originally posted by: kaylaluv
and to demand respect for herself.

Respect is earned, not given, and especially not demanded.

My daughter has been a volunteer in her community for the elderly, abandoned animals, and abused children, and she’s been doing that since she was about 8 years old. She fights for those who can’t fight for themselves. She HAS earned respect.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Yep, nothing smarter than running after a moving car when you are nervous about getting run over by a car?

LOL [shake head]

And nothing smarter than pushing through a crowd because they are blocking the street you wish to drive down.

If we're being honest here, everyone in the situation was in the wrong.

You have a right to protest, but not a right to block the transit of other citizens who likely have nothing to do with what you are protesting.

You have a right to move freely through public transportation lanes, but not a right to push through people because they are blocking it.

You have a right to self defense, but not a right to chase after a vehicle and vandalise it because you perceive they wronged someone. It was on video take it to the police.

Problem is, and it's evident in the thread, people are taking sides and justifying illegal actions done by those they perceive to be on their side.... Such is the trend of society, my rights are greater than yours, and I'll move the goal posts in an argument until I believe I have the upper hand.

+2 more 
link   

originally posted by: Necrobile

and to demand respect for herself.

Respect is earned, not given, and especially not demanded.

My daughter has been a volunteer in her community for the elderly, abandoned animals, and abused children, and she’s been doing that since she was about 8 years old. She fights for those who can’t fight for themselves. She HAS earned respect.

See my post above yours. Too bad she wasn't there to protect that elderly woman in a wheelchair. But then, would you be in the crowd protesting and harassing her then?

SNH

link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
a reply to: Boadicea

To be honest it’s probably not the police officers fault. I’m sure they had orders from the top not to interfere .

I'm pretty sure you're right about that, and these LEOs were given orders to do exactly what they did (and didn't do).

And generally speaking, from all I've read on the subject, the rot starts at the top. Bad caps do what they do because their bosses allow/encourage it. And even within the worst departments, studies have shown its usually a handful of LEOs responsible for the vast majority of complaints and lawsuits.

But you don’t always have to follow orders especially in a situation that could end in death or great bodily harm.

I think we need to take a hard look at training as well. LEOs could use more training in de-escalation tactics, but also in not escalating tense situations themselves by their words or actions. We are failing our best LEOs miserably while empowering the worst.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Demonized? Where? In this thread?

Funny how low you set the bar so low in support of your perspective.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam

Portland Police Want To Charge Driver With Crimes After Escaping Mob Protest

As the videos from last weekend’s protest in Portland have gone viral, namely due to the dereliction of duty on the part of the Portland police allowing the violent leftist mob to take over the city, one particular video has caught the attention of police and Multnomah County district attorney Rod Underhill.

The video in question shows a man in a silver car getting caught up in the protest. Apparently fearing for his safety, the man starts to drive through the protest. One genius decides he’s going to jump in front of the car and try to stop it, as other members of the mob converge on the car, shouting obscenities at the driver and beating on his car. The driver eventually made it through, but stopped at the red light up the block. There, the protesters chased him down, smashed a window out in his car, and started threatening him.

Now police are encouraging the protesters to come forward as “victims” so they can charge the driver of the car with crimes. The police refer to the violent thugs as “pedestrians.”

Here's the video of the incident.

It's not entirely clear to me why the police would take this approach. Nothing makes sense anymore.

boy I can't wait to plan a vacation to visit Portland.........said no one ever

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

If we're being honest here, everyone in the situation was in the wrong

Without knowing the full story I can't say that from the drivers POV since I don't know how he got into that situation or if he is responsible for the act? However, If they started to beat on his car for no reason and he felt in danger than I say he was justified in getting the F out of there.

I know this from first hand experience when I left my communist home country with my parents. We Sneaked out in the middle of the night into a taxi cab minutes before the block nazi figuired out we were leaving . They chased us down with baseball bats and other things and broke all the windows in the cab as they tried to surround the cab, luckily the cab driver himself felt in danger for his life and step on the pedal to escape the lynch mob.

However, I can tell you without a doubt that under no circumstances is running after a moving vehicle a smart thing. It not only puts your own life in danger , but it puts others life in danger as well.

Problem is, and it's evident in the thread, people are taking sides and justifying illegal actions done by those they perceive to be on their side..

Agreed, and sadly it happens way to often and by too many people. The same thing happens with racism accusations.
edit on 351031America/ChicagoWed, 10 Oct 2018 09:35:46 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Skip to 1:38 to see the behavior of these "protesters".

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Yep, nothing smarter than running after a moving car when you are nervous about getting run over by a car?

LOL [shake head]

At no time is it a SMART or GOOD idea to chase after a moving car, especially with a mob?

When is it EVER a good idea to break the simple road rule of "Give Way to Pedestrians"?

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

LOL [shake head]

At no time is it a SMART or GOOD idea to chase after a moving car, especially with a mob?

When is it EVER a good idea to break the simple road rule of "Give Way to Pedestrians"?

Its a GOOD idea when the pedestrians are a lynch mob and you fear for your life.

Like I said, I have no clue from what has been released so far if the driver is at fault in any way. However, like I said before as well, it is never a GOOD or SMART idea to chase after a car. It puts your life at danger and the life of others at danger.

edit on 441031America/ChicagoWed, 10 Oct 2018 09:44:33 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

LOL [shake head]

The only law that matters when your life is on the line is simple physics. Regardless of what the law says, the car wins that argument EVERY TIME. I'd rather be alive than right but dead.

I ride motorcycles and one of the first rules of the road I learned is the car always has the right of way because no matter what the DMV says, the car will always win the disagreement. Simple physics.

Given the behavior of the mob, I can't blame anyone for not wanting to be around these idiots. A tinder pile waiting to explode which it did...

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Bullying tactics. Plain and simple. If the police don't charge the driver, they'll face more bullying from the left wing "protesters." This is the sad state of the left coast.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I disagree, I think he had every right to continue through at below the speed limit for his commute. It is not fault of his, nor would it be any of ours that people are jumping out Into the road restricting the flow of commerce and impeding the right to travel freely.

I think darwins awards get passed around here in this circumstances. If someone ends up in the hospital, well it's hardly the fault of the law abiding citizen as opposed to the law breaker. The circumstance is being creAted by the law breaker. All the fault, including if someone is harmed, is of their responsibility.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Why are they trying to stop a moving car with their body? Just let the car pass.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join