It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much carbon tax do you support?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

For comparison, the United Nations report estimated that governments would need to impose effective carbon prices of $135 to $5,500 per ton of carbon dioxide pollution by 2030 to keep overall global warming below 1.5 degrees Celsius, or 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit.

www.nytimes.com...

Roughly 20 pounds of CO2 are produced from burning a gallon of gasoline.
2200 pounds in a ton.
Gives us 110 gallons to make a ton.

5500 / 110 = 50 dollar a gallon gas tax.....

But saving the world right?

Just ahead of a new report from the IPCC, dubbed SR#15 about to be released today, we have this bombshell- a detailed audit shows the surface temperature data is unfit for purpose. The first ever audit of the world’s most important temperature data set (HadCRUT4) has found it to be so riddled with errors and “freakishly improbable data” that it is effectively useless.

Link

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

link   
a reply to: SofaKing

Why is math so hard for these people? Or do they just need to sit in on an excel workshop?

link   
We should pay $0 if China isn't paying an equal amount.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   

20 lbs of by-products created from 6 lbs of gasoline.

Umm... okay.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

If I wanted to support BS I would just go feed the neighbor's cows...

Oh wait... that makes greenhouse gasses too.

So zero would be a good number.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Is that crazy math?

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander

20 lbs of by-products created from 6 lbs of gasoline.

Umm... okay.

What part of that do you not understand?

Simple mass balance grade 10 chemistry.

www.fueleconomy.gov...

How can 6 pounds of gasoline create 19 pounds of Carbon dioxide?

It seems impossible that a gallon of gasoline, which weighs about 6.3 pounds, could produce 20 pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2) when burned. However, most of the weight of the CO2 doesn't come from the gasoline itself, but the oxygen in the air.

When gasoline burns, the carbon and hydrogen separate. The hydrogen combines with oxygen to form water (H2O), and carbon combines with oxygen to form carbon dioxide (CO2).

CO2 molecule with one carbon atom (atomic weight 12) and two oxygen atoms (atomic weight of 16 each)A carbon atom has a weight of 12, and each oxygen atom has a weight of 16, giving each single molecule of CO2 an atomic weight of 44 (12 from carbon and 32 from oxygen).

Therefore, to calculate the amount of CO2 produced from a gallon of gasoline, the weight of the carbon in the gasoline is multiplied by 44/12 or 3.7.

Since gasoline is about 87% carbon and 13% hydrogen by weight, the carbon in a gallon of gasoline weighs 5.5 pounds (6.3 lbs. x .87).

We can then multiply the weight of the carbon (5.5 pounds) by 3.7, which equals 20 pounds of CO2!
]
edit on 9-10-2018 by SofaKing because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Is that crazy math?

Noticing a common theme that lefties don't even comprehend combustion.

edit on 9-10-2018 by SofaKing because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I support leaving the U N

...and shooting it with a few dozen Hellfire Missles

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Zero.

My horses and I all fart in your general direction... vociferously.

(The ducks say they want in on this, as well...)

edit on 9-10-2018 by madmac5150 because: Kvack!!

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   

I support $0 and will organize with furious anger everyone I can against any politician who brings that asininity based on faux science to the table. Let the Euros play these idiots games, we are Americans and we should know better than to fall for these Ponzi schemes.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Temperatures for the entire Southern Hemisphere in 1850 and for the next three years are calculated from just one site in Indonesia and some random ships.

Sea surface temperatures represent 70% of the Earth’s surface, but some measurements come from ships which are logged at locations 100km inland. Others are in harbors which are hardly representative of the open ocean.

When a thermometer is relocated to a new site, the adjustment assumes that the old site was always built up and “heated” by concrete and buildings. In reality, the artificial warming probably crept in slowly. By correcting for buildings that likely didn’t exist in 1880, old records are artificially cooled. Adjustments for a few site changes can create a whole century of artificial warming trends.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Negative 20 trillion.

Anyone proposing the idea should be fined. Bigly.

link   
OMG next thing you know, we will be without plastic straws!!!

I think we can afford carbon tax equivalent to Blutarski's GPA...

link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
Zero.

My horses and I all fart in your general direction...

Careful they will measure and bill you for that unauthorized methane release if it exceeds your permitted limit. Also be sure to document any particulate above 15% for any 6 minute period.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: JacKatMtn
OMG next thing you know, we will be without plastic straws!!!

I think we can afford carbon tax equivalent to Blutarski's GPA...

I will seriously cut someone over my straws.

Try me.

Silly straws lodged in rectums make for great x-rays... and memes.
edit on 9-10-2018 by madmac5150 because: Brevity

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   
My state is putting it on the upcoming ballet after it was turned down earlier this year. In combination to taxes, will rise already high gas prices, poses an issue of privacy, and much more.

#No on 732

But of course, the point of the policy is to tax carbon and thus reduce emissions, not to address a far broader social agenda in the state, note I-732 supporters. And a revenue neutral carbon tax is also designed to appeal to political conservatives by deliberately not increasing the size of government. It wasn’t realized, perhaps until the Washington State battle, that such a move could win the center but also lose the left.
Source
Oh, they are getting tricky trying to pander to sides. Any side of the political spectrum should be aware of the # this presents.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   
on avg you exhale 2.3 lbs of co2 a day that would add up fast in a year

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: markovian

Limit your breathing, save the planet!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join