It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

800,000 people kill themselves every year. What can we do?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: watchandwait410

Mass phenotype change from genetic Darwinism doesn't happen overnight.

Factors that influence suicide, which are genetic, will cease over some time period.

The rate will hit the lowest that it can from a genetic perspective.

Environmental and social factors may remain.

Also, the so-called "gay-genes" don't actually negate the instinctual needs of reproduction.

You can be sexually attracted to the same sex, yet still have a genetic desire to procreate. Seems counter intuitive, but so does arguing on the internet about something you're not going to be involved in. Yet, look where we are.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
People forget that the fact we are even here is utterly unbelievable, magical and awesome in the real meaning of awesome.

People just get too used to this place... but add the mundane physical upkeep and the uncaring, seemingly hopeless society some of us created and the despair is palpable. Illness and suffering are real and seeking escape from those is utterly understandable; but any other reasons are temporary and a matter of perspective.

Besides, suicide really only hurts those left behind to grieve or just clean up the mess, IF a spirit of some kind does not exist... though the case for disembodied intelligence is pretty good and adds another dimension to the questions. Besides, everyone will die at some point, so why hurry the fact? It sure limits the possibilities, anyway.

But though life is too short in some respects and that fact is behind most human despair in the first place, thank whatever god that might exist for death, 'cause an eternity of waking consciousness as a decrepit, dependent human, or even as a disembodied spirit, seems an utter, utter hell ...at least after an eon or twenty... as we now exist, anyway. As some wise folks have said, "there are worse things than death."

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Awareness is a start. The mental health care system in this country has a lot of issues. Veterans suffer in silence and hardships that are not readily available to be remedied in some places-- such as poverty and homelessness.

As is preventative measures, which I am seeing in a local area, with fences built up on bridge sides, with messages of encouragement to not go through with ending their lives.

Society has gone digital, for example, and with that new problems, arise.

Sometimes people need someone to talk to when they are feeling like they want to die, not just someone who will listen but will also reply.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Maybe there isn't always something that can be done to help. Why is the onus on me and us to make sure this number decreases? The people that should be helping are the family and friend core of the upset person... It isn't my duty.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: hombero

Maybe there isn't always something that can be done to help. Why is the onus on me and us to make sure this number decreases? The people that should be helping are the family and friend core of the upset person... It isn't my duty.

idk I just thought "help your fellow man" kind of thing. It would be a better Earth if more people cared for each other.

Yea I sound like a hippie but it is true and think Jesus would have my back on this.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Ending the control scheme called income tax for starters.

Sounds like I'm joking, but I'm not.

Living a slave life in a trap of a system is unnatural af.

It starts wigging people out.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: hombero

Sometimes people don't have that kind of caring safety net from friends and family, it could also contribute to their situation in the first place.

Sadly, many in society function with a non caring attitude to those not in their immediate bubble.

One day, as with people thinking such a situation couldn't happen to them, a stranger might help to save their life.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   
The Mental Health Institutions were essentially closed down decades ago, with the promise that community services, mental health centers, foster homes, in-home monitoring, etc. would be funded and expanded.

So they closed the institutions, but never followed through with the rest. In fact, shortly thereafter funding to community based mental health centers funding was cut.

Besides, do you read this site often? The folks here who support the current Congress and it's 'president', wouldn't help a person with a 38 held to his head if they thought it was going to cost them a nickel.

VOTE DEMOCRAT
GET TRIGGERED PEOPLE!

We shouldn't have to put up with this ignorant crap.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: UKTruth
What can we do? Don't kill ourselves.
Other than that, not much, other than live your own life as best you can and try to not hurt other people.
What must NOT happen is getting the Govt. involved.

Problem is after 10 years of not taking those drugs anymore? All of those horrible thoughts I had of ending my own life and ending the life of others NEVER go away. It was like living in a Clive Barker horror story. They were like bad dreams that I can't forget. If the government doesn't step in to put Big Pharm in check who will?

Ever wonder why so many people bring up SSRI's when one of our children shoot up a school? It isn't guessing, it's experience from what WE have experienced while on these drugs.

You don't need the govt to help you.
You need yourself, your loved ones and friends.
If you have no loved ones or friends, get some.
Happiness and self esteem comes from sharing experiences with people you like. It's that simple really. Everything else you think you need. Drugs, money, material goods, career... not needed.
Of course you need to be healthy too, but without feeling happy and sharing your life with others, you won't regain health either.
It isn't the drug companies that screwed you. It's you.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   
i guess " solyent greeen for everyone " = wrong answer ?

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

in a perfect world with no war or famine or hate or prejudice, there would still be suicides, albeit less.

actually quite the opposite in my opinion because our thinking would be so different due to not knowing the concepts of war, hate and experiencing famine and prejudice.

Suicide wouldn't be seen as a stigma on an individual as it is with what we live today.

a world with no famine, war or prejudice allows for too much rapid growth with no sustenance and not enough resources to support the rapid increase.

Its unbalanced so human thinking would be much different and suicide would be something patriotic in that type of society.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   

from your OP

The time has come for us all, collectively, to tackle the causes and symptoms of mental illness, and provide care for those who suffer from it

you also state

I just saw a thing on tv

Have a think about mass media - we are constantly bombarded with bad news and a few seconds later ads on spending to make us feel good or to be someone we're not, or that ideal skin complexion or ideal body figure.

The way media manipulates us on a deep emotional level is not done by chance. It allows the imprinting on a sub conscious level to always be in a state of craving and anxiety or impulsive behaviour in spending for the next endorphin rush.

I wont get into how psychiatry fosters and promotes the view that 100% of the population has some form of "disease" at some time or another.

They have replaced the Priest/confessor and like shamans attempt to steer the tribe through treatment to somehow alleviate suffering. At the end of the day what some have said is true - only the person can bring themselves out of the spiral of self destructive behaviour.

There is a place for intervention but unless the sufferer takes further steps in seeing that there is more positive than negative in their life they will revert to a sad state.

Rather than being judgmental of the posters try to see that some of them have good grounds to state that at the end of the day an autonomous reasoning human has Agency to act how they so wish.

underwerks wrote

Which is why TV and media constantly try to reinforce the lie that money equals happiness or success.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

a world with no famine, war or prejudice allows for too much rapid growth with no sustenance and not enough resources to support the rapid increase.

Those 3 that you mentioned hardly would account for a rapid increase leading to depletion of resources. We chuck away so much food and overproduce food as well.

The universe is bountiful - "scarcity thinking" keeps prices high.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Life kills. Life Kills.

Life's a sentence, read all about it!

~TISM

Life's a harsh place and we all stop moving in the end.

#ing depressing honestly.

So who cares if people suicide. They're gonna die one day. To be painfully blunt. If life is too much for someone and they want out, I won't stop them, nor shall I feel guilt.
It was their life and their choice. If someone asks me for help to stop feeling that way I'll do what I can though.
Why should I care when 100,000's die in wars year after year?

We cannot stop it we could reduce it but nobody wants too. War is big money. The human world has become a depressing place despite life being what you make it.

Hell we live in the west, the safest and most civilized places in the world and violence and crime still happen.
Why buy a TV when you can steal someone elses.

Some of us are still animals. That's just a damn fact many of us live in denial of.
If I cared for every damn person who died I'd never get out of bed. The child who is starving is more important to me than the 1st world teen live streaming their suicide on facebook. The trans person who chose to mutilate themselves then couldn't handle it.

You cannot watch people 24/7 if they truly want out they will find a way to do it.

Not much we can do to stop death period.
We'd have to invent immortality.

Sadly we'd rather spend more money on ways to kill each other.

If we stop getting sick or old and dying what then? If we keep breeding we'd exhaust our resources. I think real immortality we would still require food for energy.
The world would get over run by humans.

Travel to space maybe? We'd live for ever so 200 years at light speed to Alpha Centauri aint nothing.

But no, at this point we're all #ed. Who knows what awaits? Nobody that's who and I gotta admit it terrifies me.

Only realistic solution is to reduce human breeding to levels it can sustain. But who's gonna volunteer to not breed?

You can lead a man and women to a condom but you cannot make them use it.

We need a massive change in thinking. I honestly feel we're doing the human world all wrong.

We need every civilization to get it's head into 2018. We need to work together.
If not for defeating death and disease, at least extending what little time we get and the comfort levels we experience it.

But alas people still fighting over no-show gods. People looking for UFO's to save them, people killing for national pride, just a bunch of apes with fancy tools.

Do we elect Stephen Hawking or Brian Cox to President or Prime Minister? No we elect people like Trump and Clinton.
We have it all backwards. We have idiots running our nations. Old money, old thinking, old customs, old amendments.
The same old MY TEAMS BETTER THAN YOURS!!!!! childish fighting amongst ourselves.

We look at our differences and not our similarities. We don't look at our common struggles and work to over come them. No instead we focus on the differences that honestly do us no harm. We don't just be ourselves and go about our days. We expect everyone to be like us, accept us. We just can't mind our own damn business.

You want to save more lives per year?
It's possible. But you need to change the entire planet. You need to get every human or as many as possible to become common sense using logical egalitarians.
Every one would need to be truly colour blind to race gender religion etc in public.

Thing is it's highly improbable. When do we start electing Logan Paul for pres?

We're a long way off from the possible Star Trek utopia needed to achieve your dream.
We're much more closer to being biblical times with iPhones and Youtube.
Just look at places like the Middle East and how long the bull# is going on there.

Look at the farce we've allowed our governments to become here in the west. Democracy? Bah.

If you want to change the world the answer is simple.

GET OFF YOUR ASS AND GO CHANGE IT. You won't freaking do it on the internet.

We've become stupid and weak, we've allowed a few to take over and run everything, we've forgotten we have power in numbers. We've forgotten how tom use it.

It's 2018 mankind needs to seriously grow the # up.
We need to shake up this world. And in a peaceful fashion.
edit on 10-10-2018 by AtomicKangaroo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

we humans, along with 2 other species, one of which is the tarsier, are known to commit suicide when stressed.

Other than humans and tarsiers, what other species/animal does this? very curious

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
For one, stop false rape accusations.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Those 3 that you mentioned hardly would account for a rapid increase leading to depletion of resources. We chuck away so much food and overproduce food as well. The universe is bountiful - "scarcity thinking" keeps prices high.

I was talking about suicide rates and how without those concepts human thinking would be....

alien to our thinking now.

In my opinion suicide wouldn't decrease but increase as it wouldn't be such a taboo or stigma on one as it is in the world we live on today.

With out the balance of life and death that war and famine create and prejudice help fuel there eventually will be increase in life and consumption.

The universe is bountiful - "scarcity thinking" keeps prices high.

Yes,

but I am talking about alien thoughts in how in a world without war these fear tactics such as scarcity and the many other things we are warned of wont be viable when the fear of war, famine or being discriminated against don't exist.

Life wont be as valuable to us as it is in today's or yesterdays world.

I also said it would be a patriotic thing to do in a world like that without those concepts as its seen like being patriotic to join your countries military and put your life on the line if needed in today's world.

I think the ancient Druids of Great Britain had a ritual where one would commit suicide for the community or something there abouts, I guess I am basing or trying to base these alien thoughts on reading that the druids did this when they were around.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join