It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

800,000 people kill themselves every year. What can we do?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
What can we do? Don't kill ourselves.
Other than that, not much, other than live your own life as best you can and try to not hurt other people.
What must NOT happen is getting the Govt. involved.

Problem is after 10 years of not taking those drugs anymore? All of those horrible thoughts I had of ending my own life and ending the life of others NEVER go away. It was like living in a Clive Barker horror story. They were like bad dreams that I can't forget. If the government doesn't step in to put Big Pharm in check who will?

Ever wonder why so many people bring up SSRI's when one of our children shoot up a school? It isn't guessing, it's experience from what WE have experienced while on these drugs.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: watchandwait410

Their body, their choice, yes?

Yes definitely but if you are getting bad information then it could be a mistake that could get fixed. If you are messed up in the head and can get fixed then I hope they don't cause in the future there will be better fixes, so they should try to wait until then.

but cancer that will definitely kill them should have a choice.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ttropia
a reply to: notsure1

Thank you for that. It really does work with little adverse affects.

Its the absolute truth. She would break down crying over nothing, get mad, throw stuff, Scream get out, Dont leave me lol.

Now she is just content and never has those problems . Like night and day.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Ever notice that the thoughts are still there but not dwelt upon and can be laughed off without the meds?

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Everyone rod me off years ago... they were all convinced I was gonna off myself.

But you know what? 10 years later and I'm still here.

I'm still as miserable as I was back then... But F# it, I plan on hanging around til my legs literally give out from under neath me... If for no other reason except I refuse to give the people who look down on me the satisfaction.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

She is lucky, when I smoke it is a horror show of hallucinations and a feeling of dread so that is not option for me.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

Its the absolute truth. She would break down crying over nothing, get mad, throw stuff, Scream get out, Dont leave me lol.

Maybe our wives are related! lol

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Ever notice that the thoughts are still there but not dwelt upon and can be laughed off without the meds?

I still have them. That's why I drink alcohol. Kind of sucks though...…. I didn't want to kill anyone nor myself due to what it would do to my family, yet I am still slowly committing suicide by drinking. It's legal though right???

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

You are not alone in that mission of yours. The alcohol is almost a daily must. Just enough to feel the numb. About 3 to a 6 will do.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

Maybe our wives are related! lol

lol. Maybe. BUt she takes no pills now doesnt see any doctors unless she gets sick. She doesnt have the extreme highs and lows.
edit on 9-10-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I have read that a ketamine IV under doctor supervision does a lot for depression. The only thing is insurance doesn't cover it.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I don't have time to waste on people who don't value themselves.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Their body, their choice, yes?

Why should I care? Really, those that want to checkout early, it’s up to them. I had a life long friend that decided to take the long sleep this last spring. Hand full of pills and a 1/5 of good vodka, went to sleep and didn’t wake up. I had little idea he was that miserable. Had I been married to his wife, I would have done it years ago.
Sad but understandable. My heart goes out to his young son.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Drugs aren't a solution.

Look, if you have mental issues like depression - you gotta face it.
You gotta deal with your problems.

If you hate your life, figure out why.
Then either get over it or change it.
Or end it all, it's not really my business anyways now is it?

I don't own you, and you don't own me.
My life is my choice to live, yours is yours to live.
If you really don't want to live, who is anyone to stop you?

This whole "but you're my friend, my family, my whatever" is possessive thinking. My Mine. Listen to yourself. You think you OWN people? Like they exist purely to please your emotions? If someone dies you aren't "Losing" anything except your mind, because newsflash - you don't own them.

This possessive control-oriented mentality needs to come to an end.
I bet there would be way less suicides if people stopped fixating on controlling everyone and everything.
What ever happened to respecting others as individuals with the freedom to choose their own paths?

No one needs to live for you to be happy. You don't need to own people or things.
But you do need to finally decide to Own Yourself and Live your Own Life.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

I don't have time to waste on people who don't value themselves.

Until the day someone you care about that you had no idea they were suffering offs themselves right?

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Spoken like someone who is a norm. You obviously don't get it. It is people like you who make me hate the human race.
Thankfully I don't care about opinions like yours. Sometimes you just can't "change it". Control/freedom has nothing to do with it. Its is about getting help when crap is just too much. Many are not lucky enough to just fix it with their own logic.

(post by tinner07 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The whole issue begs the question. And though psych meds are an issue, it's a side issue. Very few of those 800,000 per year have been on psych meds. You can't just blame "Big Pharma" for suicides. Nor should you expect Big Government to "do something!" just because you are alarmed. One of the largest problems we have is that people have some sort of problem, then lament that they "can't get the help they need" from where? Government. The solution, if you actually want a solution, is from yourself--not government, not "the establishment," not from someone else.

The reason there are as many suicides as there are is patently obvious. It's not Rocket Science. These days society is a very alienating place unless you have a secure place in it. With the breakdown of traditional support groups like the family and the community, alienation is to be expected. These days people want and demand freedom FROM religion, freedom FROM community, and freedom FROM family they neither like nor respect. But though you "see the B.S." from things like organized religion, you can't deny the fact that those institutions formerly brought stability to people's lives. Your trade-off was less individual freedom, but as a member of a community that included you implicitly, you were less likely to reach a state where you contemplated suicide. Without those "ties that bind," you are free to do so.

I can think if few things as selfish as proclaiming we "need to do something!" because this "costs society trillions of dollars." Say what?! So I should continue to be a wage slave so I can contribute to the economy as you see fit? How absurd! The way I see it is that I don't want your solutions in my life and I don't want government in my life. I do not accept the idea that you are in any way responsible for my well-being. Butt out. It's really none of your business.

edit on 10/9/2018 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

And though psych meds are an issue, it's a side issue. Very few of those 800,000 per year have been on psych meds.

Have any stats or studies to back that "opinion" up?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join